SVTPerformance 2012 GT : K&N Replacement Filter Test

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
Thanks man! I was actually lookiing at buying one, then recently we pulled my buddies K&N off his sn-95 to clean, and the intake tube had a shit ton of debree in it... thinking it was just his particular filter, i still considered buying one...then I saw this... nope... ill stick with the stock one :D

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Heres the way I look at it. Whenever I go to a dyno day or for tuning etc, the first pull always makes the most power.

Take that for whatever its worth and draw your own conclusions

Interestingly, the 3rd run with the stock filter made more power than the second.

On Arrington's dyno I've been able to repeat power numbers within 1 HP when starting with the same IAT and ECT.

We ran this same test in reverse (K&N runs first) on a boosted application as well. That article should be posted towards the end of next week.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Thanks for running the test, those are certainly interesting results and as you say it's not worth arguing w/ the hard data.

I'd be curious to see another similar test w/ an actual CAI/after market filter vs the stock intake/filter system. Since JLT seems to the CAI of choice I'd be most interested in seeing that comparison.

I seem to recall reading back when the 2011 was rolled that the Ford engineers said they didn't believe any gains would be netted from a CAI install on the Coyote engines. I always wondered if that was in fact the case?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks for running the test, those are certainly interesting results and as you say it's not worth arguing w/ the hard data.

I'd be curious to see another similar test w/ an actual CAI/after market filter vs the stock intake/filter system. Since JLT seems to the CAI of choice I'd be most interested in seeing that comparison.

I seem to recall reading back when the 2011 was rolled that the Ford engineers said they didn't believe any gains would be netted from a CAI install on the Coyote engines. I always wondered if that was in fact the case?

Here are the two CAI articles we have released:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-love-jlt-painted-plastic-intake-install.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...hing-treatment-airaid-mxp-intake-install.html

alivingmustang1

Established Member
Self DELETED posted. :)
Honestly, K & N filters have been tested so many times over the last 20 years and the results are usually the same: no gain. In addition, they can mess up your MAFS if they're over-oiled. Seems like a waste to even run this test when it's been proven over and over - stick with a paper filter!

GT_Jim

Established Member
Well now, this is enlightening.

I'm not surprised people are "upset" over the K&N HP losses either but the facts are the facts and with a Dyno like what you had access to there simply is no room for argument. This wasn't cousin Bob's Backyard Chevy Parts & Dyno Emporium.

Caveat emptor.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Back in the Fox days, drop-in K&N filters proved to flow better and make more power than the factory paper element even on otherwise stock cars. I think the correct response to SVTP's test is to accept the data for what it is: evidence that no power was gained on a Coyote 5.0 in this configuration. In fact, the dyno suggests a measureable LOSS in power.

The most important step to take now is to understand "why". By finding the root cause for the result, we can apply that principle to other situations. I'm not making excuses or debating the results, I'm just wondering what scientific phenomenon caused the power loss. Is the K&N suddenly more restrictive? If not, what else could it be?

As Sid mentioned, removing the filter altogether would have reduced power due to turbulence in the air stream. I also remember seeing tests where the the intake screen was removed on some of the modern cars. It should have decreased the flow restriction, but the vehicle actually lost power. Turbulence was also the likely culprit explained in that test. I wonder if the K&N's characteristics are causing the same phenomenon?

On a side note: This type of article is what used to make MM&FF and 5.0&SF such great magazines: back-to-back dyno tests on real world aftermarket parts. The back-to-back comparison's of multiple brands of the same products were even more helpful. I don't know why this type of high-value journalism dried up over the past years, but I'm glad to see SVTP doing what it can to bring it back. This is what made the Mustang hobby so fun for me. I used to archive every one of these tests. Now, most of my mags get a quick flip through then get relegated to the bottom of the bookcase.​

Great Job, SID!

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Back in the Fox days, drop-in K&N filters proved to flow better and make more power than the factory paper element even on otherwise stock cars. I think the correct response to SVTP's test is to accept the data for what it is: evidence that no power was gained on a Coyote 5.0 in this configuration. In fact, the dyno suggests a measureable LOSS in power.

The most important step to take now is to understand "why". By finding the root cause for the result, we can apply that principle to other situations. I'm not making excuses or debating the results, I'm just wondering what scientific phenomenon caused the power loss. Is the K&N suddenly more restrictive? If not, what else could it be?

As Sid mentioned, removing the filter altogether would have reduced power due to turbulence in the air stream. I also remember seeing tests where the the intake screen was removed on some of the modern cars. It should have decreased the flow restriction, but the vehicle actually lost power. Turbulence was also the likely culprit explained in that test. I wonder if the K&N's characteristics are causing the same phenomenon?

On a side note: This type of article is what used to make MM&FF and 5.0&SF such great magazines: back-to-back dyno tests on real world aftermarket parts. The back-to-back comparison's of multiple brands of the same products were even more helpful. I don't know why this type of high-value journalism dried up over the past years, but I'm glad to see SVTP doing what it can to bring it back. This is what made the Mustang hobby so fun for me. I used to archive every one of these tests. Now, most of my mags get a quick flip through then get relegated to the bottom of the bookcase.​

Great Job, SID!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it. We try to bring you the best quality articles possible, and it should just keep getting better.

My guess on the power loss is just what you mentioned, turbulence.

Asphalt Cowboy

Established Member
Wow, just found that test, and now I'm wondering if I should keep my K&N that came with the ProCal...
When I got the Ford Racing Tune, I was already hesitating using the K&N, but my dealership and Ford Racing both said the tune was meant to work with that K&N filter...
Since you did the test with the K&N first and on a supercharger Mustang, I bet the results would have been the same with the ProCal. I'll ask my dealership, need to go for service this month, and I might get back the stock filter then.

Anyone with the Procal went back with the stock filter and noticed anything?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Wow, just found that test, and now I'm wondering if I should keep my K&N that came with the ProCal...
When I got the Ford Racing Tune, I was already hesitating using the K&N, but my dealership and Ford Racing both said the tune was meant to work with that K&N filter...
Since you did the test with the K&N first and on a supercharger Mustang, I bet the results would have been the same with the ProCal. I'll ask my dealership, need to go for service this month, and I might get back the stock filter then.

Anyone with the Procal went back with the stock filter and noticed anything?

I wouldn't worry about going back to the stock filter unless you live in a very dusty environment. You're not really going to notice the difference in power, you've already paid for the K&N, and at the very least it's a reusable filter.

max5ive0

Established Member
Wish I would have read this thread first! Thanks for the good info, now all I can say is...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a2qFlfJR2Jg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Wish I would have read this thread first! Thanks for the good info, now all I can say is...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/a2qFlfJR2Jg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

If your main reason for your purchase was increased performance, I'm sorry for you. However, at least you have a washable and reusable filter.

Turbo810

Established Member
Something everyone is missing here is that K&N filters better. That is the reason for the power loss. You can't go wrong filtering the air better.

Remember dirt is an engines enemy. If you are in an erea with a lot of dirt the K&N is a very good idea.

Besides are any of really going to miss 5 hp on these cars?

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Something everyone is missing here is that K&N filters better. That is the reason for the power loss. You can't go wrong filtering the air better.

Remember dirt is an engines enemy. If you are in an erea with a lot of dirt the K&N is a very good idea.

Besides are any of really going to miss 5 hp on these cars?

Can you please provide a source for your claims? Remember, we're talking about two basically new filters here.

BM1

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread