SVTP stock pick thread.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Why do you want to know?

Asking from the perspective of a learner to get real input from what you all are doing (what’s worked, what has not) and to know what are good platforms one can review or possibly take part in.

I see so many online TV ads for this or that Brokerage, but when I go to review them online all I see is negative reviews. For instance, Fisher was one of those TV blurbs, but when I looked up reviews, seems like what they advertised isn’t what some get or expect, whichever way one wants to look at it.

I understand that not everyone will be or is happy with THEIR decisions and whatever it is they invested in, or that they couldn’t get their Rep on a call fast enough to pull out, so yes, I can see the negatives just like any other product/service out there.

I read through a good portion of this thread (which of course by now is very many pages and posts). It’s def a lot of stock tech and decent info… but a ton to try and absorb as going post by post and page by page. Of course older posts and pages with XYZ stock choices or picks are long obsolete and mean nothing (now), so I try to skim past the older (by years) stuff.

Some 401ks don’t have good offerings or their upward movement isn’t as rewarding either. Some folks who read this thread haven’t ventured outside a 401k (or pension savings if they even have one).

I’m asking not only about firms that some of you use, but also like what Apps are decent for tracking/watching to do your own decision making for when wanting to move funds around or venture out like some of you have done.

That’s all.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
Asking from the perspective of a learner to get real input from what you all are doing (what’s worked, what has not) and to know what are good platforms one can review or possibly take part in.

I see so many online TV ads for this or that Brokerage, but when I go to review them online all I see is negative reviews. For instance, Fisher was one of those TV blurbs, but when I looked up reviews, seems like what they advertised isn’t what some get or expect, whichever way one wants to look at it.

I understand that not everyone will be or is happy with THEIR decisions and whatever it is they invested in, or that they couldn’t get their Rep on a call fast enough to pull out, so yes, I can see the negatives just like any other product/service out there.

I read through a good portion of this thread (which of course by now is very many pages and posts). It’s def a lot of stock tech and decent info… but a ton to try and absorb as going post by post and page by page. Of course older posts and pages with XYZ stock choices or picks are long obsolete and mean nothing (now), so I try to skim past the older (by years) stuff.

Some 401ks don’t have good offerings or their upward movement isn’t as rewarding either. Some folks who read this thread haven’t ventured outside a 401k (or pension savings if they even have one).

I’m asking not only about firms that some of you use, but also like what Apps are decent for tracking/watching to do your own decision making for when wanting to move funds around or venture out like some of you have done.

That’s all.
I'm not a trader. I'm a value investor who buys/sells very infrequently for my ROTH IRA and brokerage accounts with Vanguard who has free trades. I don't have a rep, never have, never will. Sometimes I'll go years without doing anything although I monitor/research constantly. I don't take anyone's advice regardless of how famous/wealthy they are but instead investigate stocks I hear about or read about that interest me. Of the thousands of stocks available on the U.S. markets there's maybe 100 or so that I would ever consider putting any meaningful amount of money into.

Aside from that I have retirement accounts (403s and 457s) which are invested in low cost broadly based mutual funds with Fidelity, Vanguard and TIAA-CREF.

I don't use any phone apps and never give stock recommendations(only observations). I use websites like Seekingalpha, gurufocus, NASDAQ and NYSE. I also constantly read articles available on the net from various news outlets. I watch CNBC and Bloomberg as well. CNBC is more U.S. stock based whereas Bloomberg is more international and focuses mostly on economic events rather than stocks.

As far as reviews are concerned, I've noticed that frequently people who have had bad experiences will post more often as opposed to those who have had good experiences so sometimes the ratings get out of whack.

MG0h3

Established Member

That’s all.

I use E*trade right now. Used to use Merril.

I’d pay for some sort of investment/trading course so that you can analyze stocks.

Fundamentals, technicals, and institutional behavior (big firms buying/selling) are the main things to look at.

In the end, buying and selling of a certain stock is what makes the price go up and down. Maybe some news or event drives it, but that’s all. Many companies saw their stock price go down after reporting beats on earnings and good guidance just a couple months ago. Others went up on a miss.

I’d also learn how to do covered calls (options) on what you own. You can typically make 1-1.5% a week just holding what you own.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member

That’s all.
If you plan on learning how to day trade then ThinkorSwim or Webull is probably your best bet. For investing I have tried Fidelity and E-trade. I dumped e-trade after they charged me some ridiculous fee for a corporate action(reverse split). None of my other accounts have ever had a charge related to that type of event.
Fidelity is a great platform for investing imo. Lots of resources for research and some decent charting tools. ThinkorSwim just got taken over by Schwab though and it probably has the best charting tools of any basic investment platform.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i also like thinkorswim for charting and better fills. i like robinhood and webull for my cash that isn't currently being traded to earn 5%.

i think i could also use trading view if TOS went away for some reason.

MG0h3

Established Member
Hard to say. Some some chatter about some options peeling off today.

Also came up towards prior resistance.

Follow the trend….

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
some of the tech was overbought out to the weekly timeframe, and was getting close on the monthly(I’ve never seen that).

felt stupid not buying it the last couple days, but i just don’t want to be exit liquidity.

steps up, elevator down.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I had a couple of TQQQ puts that were expiring Friday that had me sweating. It was nice to see a solid sell off. Those things went 200% on that drop. Started the day mad at myself for buying them and ended mad at myself for not buying more.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
GDP numbers out soon this morning. Will be interesting to see how the market reacts. Cash heavy, ready for that dip.

RUNVS?

Established Member

That’s all.
I use an independent fiduciary broker and I let him do all the work. I've been with this guy since 2009 and he's consistently earned me end-of-year ROIs of 10-12%... sometimes as much as 16%. His fees will run about 3% of the profits he earns me each year and he always gives me an EOY report. He's very good at what he does and will usually call me every 10 days just to give me an update.

He's also unopposed to keeping cash on the sidelines. Many big brokerage firms don't allow their agents to keep cash accounts because they're not making any fees on the cash. I'll typically keep $25,000-$30,000 in cash for quarterly withdrawals, unexpected expenses, or discount investment opportunities that pop up.

Users who are viewing this thread