SVTP Product Review : Bob’s Auto Sports Headrest Camera Mount

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-bob-s-auto-sports-headrest-camera-mount.html

Occasionally a part comes along that it so simple, yet so elegant in its function, that you’re blown away that no one has thought of it before. That’s what we have with Bob’s Auto Sports (“BAS”) patent pending Headrest Camera Mount. It’s a completely innovative camera mounting system that clamps to your seat’s headrest posts. The BAS mount is constructed from durable billet aluminum; and, like all BAS products, is made in the USA.

All you have to do to install the mount is remove the headrest from the seat, seat align the mounting holes on the camera mount, slide the mount onto the headrest posts, tighten the set screws, and place the headrest back into the seat. Once you have it installed you’ll be able to capture the type of in-car video that used to require a roll-bar mounted camera. The mount comes with a universal cell phone adaptor (which fits an iPhone and many others), a Go-Pro mount, and full metal swivel that fits most camcorders and full frame cameras.

We use Bob’s camera mount with our Sony camcorders to collect videos in relation to the various articles we produce for SVTP. The mount places the camera beside the driver’s shoulder and gives a great in car perspective. We also mounted it to the rear headrest in the SVTP F-350 which gave a very expansive view of the crew-cab truck’s interior. It also came in handy when we needed an in-car view for our recent 2009 Explorer V8 modification article. You can check out that video below:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/XWD-pPKAy98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Finally, I recently was invited to an event at Cooper Tire’s testing facility in South Texas, where I had the opportunity to utilize the BAS camera mount in a variety of driving situations. One of the most taxing was a high-speed off-road run in a purpose built Ford F-150 pre-runner. The mount held on securely to the headrest and the footage came out great (it’ll be included in an upcoming article here on SVTP). Interestingly enough, the TSA doesn't seem to mind me carrying it onto a plane. Apparently I can’t be trusted with more than 4 ounces of shampoo, but wielding the equivalent of a riot baton is A-Ok.

Bob's Auto Sports really know how to produce a high quality piece of hardware.

Bob_Camera_Mount_004.jpg

The main body of the mount is a solid piece of billet aluminum.

Bob_Camera_Mount_005.jpg

It actually looks like a mini billet lower control arm.

Bob_Camera_Mount_006.jpg

By loosening this mount plate and sliding it back and forth this mount can be made to fit most cars featuring removable headrests.

Bob_Camera_Mount_007.jpg

Here you can see the rubber tip of the set-screw that will clamp onto the headrest post to hold everything firmly in place. Also, I can assure that if you order a BAS mount it will arrive to you all nice an shiny. Ours has seen some serious off-roading.

Bob_Camera_Mount_008.jpg

This universal swivel mount will work with most cameras and allow you to set it at a variety of angles.

Bob_Camera_Mount_009.jpg

Bob includes this mount to hold a cell phone if that is your recording device of choice.

Bob_Camera_Mount_010.jpg

You just slide your phone in and the spring loaded clamp arm holds it in place.

Bob_Camera_Mount_011.jpg

You then just screw it to the swivel mount and you're ready to go.

Bob_Camera_Mount_012.jpg

Bob also includes a mount that gives you the option of using a GoPro camera.

Bob_Camera_Mount_013.jpg

It's a standard GoPro tri-pod mount.

Bob_Camera_Mount_014.jpg

It also screws onto the swivel mount.

Bob_Camera_Mount_015.jpg

All you do then is bolt up your GoPro like you would with and of your other GoPro mounts.

Bob_Camera_Mount_016.jpg

This is probably the safest place one of SVTP's GoPro cameras will ever be mounted.

Bob_Camera_Mount_017.jpg

We mostly use our BAS camera mount with our Sony camcorders. With a view like this you're sure to capture the shots you're looking for.

Bob_Camera_Mount_001.jpg

The simple, yet ingenious, mounting system is what set's Bob's camera mount apart from all other.

Bob_Camera_Mount_003.jpg

Just tighten down the set-screws and you're ready to go.

Bob_Camera_Mount_002.jpg

If you’re interested in producing quality in-car video footage you really need to check out this link to Bob’s Auto Sports

You can also purchase a private labeled version of Bob’s mount from SVTP Vendor JLT Performance.

JLT even produced a great video featuring Bob’s headrest camera mount:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/2cFn1QDlIM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

-SID297:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I can attest to this piece as well! its very sturdy and well made! I don't have an Iphone so thats useless, however my panasonic camcorder screws on. The only thing with this mount is it takes a couple minutes to find the right holes to mount, and you have to unscrew them to get them on and screw them down to tighten. But once you get that figured its a pretty neat feature to have when driving or competing! two thumbs up!

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
What a great product!
Photographers and racers at the track should be buying these up...

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Jay was ripping it on that race track! Man i cant wait to get my car on a track! Gingerman race way is only about a 3 hour drive me, I plan on taking a trip out there next spring. Bob's camera mount is on my list for sure. Would be a good Christmas gift along with a go pro.
:beer:

Jroc

Established Member
It's not as big a problem in the L though because you can use a GoPro stuck on the back glass.

True. :beer:

What about a HD? I think they use the same style buckets a L does or do they have some special seats with headrest? Been a while since I've been in one.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
True. :beer:

What about a HD? I think they use the same style buckets a L does or do they have some special seats with headrest? Been a while since I've been in one.

HD trucks have separate headrests.

I just remembered, the SVTP F-350 has fixed headrests. I used Bob's mount in it by placing it on the rear seat headrests. You could do the same thing in a Mustang equiped with Recaros as long as you don't have a rear seat delete.

nekasrof

Established Member
Decapitation?

I was thinking more of being impaled in a side impact or crash on-track.

It's a beautifully made piece and looks very sturdy but I would advise against using anything that points AT the driver in a street car. I'd rather see that camera mount shortened so the camera sits right next to the headrest on the passenger side.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I was thinking more of being impaled in a side impact or crash on-track.

It's a beautifully made piece and looks very sturdy but I would advise against using anything that points AT the driver in a street car. I'd rather see that camera mount shortened so the camera sits right next to the headrest on the passenger side.

My first thought was also that this could present a safety issue. Maybe it can be made of a material that will break away under stress.

Users who are viewing this thread