SVTP Examines Early 2015 Mustang Quality Issues

Marty Staggs

Twin Boost
Established Member
My Ecoboost's black paint is the most fragile black paint I have ever seen.
My car stays inside and I have it professionally detailed every few weeks.
My guy always uses new micro fibers etc and the thing scratches and swirls unlike any car I have ever seen (was VERY swirled right from the dealer).
I am wondering if they forgot the clear coat. :-(

My Guard colored 5.0 has a MUCH better paint job.

IMG_3617_zps7af7d223.jpg

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I don't know if it would even be possible for the car to not get clear coated, but I guess I'd take it to reputable body shop to see what they think.

Marty Staggs

Twin Boost
Established Member
I don't know if it would even be possible for the car to not get clear coated, but I guess I'd take it to reputable body shop to see what they think.

I agree but I am VERY worried about what this thing will look like within a year.
If my guy has to polish it after every detail, there wont be any paint left on it - lol
Can you imagine if went to a "typical" car wash? I feel bad for anyone parking outside or back east.
Time will tell.
Its going back to the dealer for "inspection"

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Polish out all the swirls then put a good sealant on the paint and top it with a good carnauba wax. That'll protect the clear coat.

15mustang

My Brand New 2015 Mustang GT: Paint and Transmission Issues at 244 miles on Odometer

Full Details, Paint and Transmission Issues at 244 miles on Odometer:
I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned (Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, they confirmed it, they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto Collision in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and Greg’s apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). See Youtube video below. The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership (with ~244 miles on odometer), and when I drove away in my Mustang, I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right at all (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear.

Two other people have driven it and confirmed my concern so far.

Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What should I do?

Door hits fender:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7alg3cTz9Uw

Poor Paint Repair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pairY8em0OY

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
I am having a problem with the headlight switch rattling why I am driving and my cloth seat cover seams loose after 4k miles. Anyone else with these problems?

My headlight switch rattles as well.

hand-filer

Established Member
I recently purchased a brand new 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 (with 32 miles on it) and when I brought it home I noticed the door brushed against the front fender when I opened it which caused paint damage. It seems the front fender had been misaligned (Youtube video below).

So I took it to a local Ford dealership, they confirmed it, they took pictures of the paint damage, and got authorization for warranty repair. They then took it to Greg's Auto Collision in St Augustine (~7 miles away) according to both the Ford service manager and assistant service manager and Greg’s apparently did a very poor paint repair on my new car (less than a week old). See Youtube video below. The paint and clear coat were further damaged on the car somehow in the whole process. The dealership then acknowledged the paint repair wasn’t right and could be sent back for proper paint repair.

So, I chose to bring my car home from the dealership (with ~244 miles on odometer), and when I drove away in my Mustang, I immediately noticed the manual transmission didn’t shift right at all (it always shifted perfectly when I dropped it off). The transmission would basically now bind, catch, grind and then pop into 4th gear at low RPMs in a very odd two stage process. It absolutely NEVER did this before I dropped it at the dealership. In addition, third and fourth now made a louder thud going into gear.

Does anyone know what would cause this really poor shift quality? What should I do?

Door hits fender:

Poor Paint Repair:

The guys that f'd up your paint repair likely f'd up the transmission. I'd be back at the dealership tomorrow threatening them with legal action if they don't deal with the situation properly and expeditiously. I'm appalled by what you are experiencing.

Speed Junky

Established Member
Did you log how many miles when you dropped it off and picked it up? That way you can see how many miles they traveled in it. I turned my 02 Saleen into crutchfield for speaker replacement, logged the miles. When I got it back, the series 2 supercharger was ticking and they had put over 13 miles on the car. They settled out of court after seeing my documentation of the mileage.
EVERY TIME my car is out of my sight for service I do this, for this reason.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member

Door hits fender:

Poor Paint Repair:

I'll bet the guys at that body shop took your car for an extended joy ride and beat it while doing so. Your in a tough spot now. The paint is wrong and the tranny is toast.. Advice, get a lawyer!

Yeti

We just learnt in January that the Mustang we ordered back on May 20th 2014 and was actually one of the first 100 built on August 28th was destroyed at the factory due to not meeting quality standards. Yup! Wonder how many other Mustangs of early production were destroyed. For months we heard all sorts of excuses till they finally fessed up in January.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We just learnt in January that the Mustang we ordered back on May 20th 2014 and was actually one of the first 100 built on August 28th was destroyed at the factory due to not meeting quality standards. Yup! Wonder how many other Mustangs of early production were destroyed. For months we heard all sorts of excuses till they finally fessed up in January.

I know of a few that were crushed.

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
There may be something to this, I confirmed that all the GTs on Rodman Fords lot are 401A package with ACC options, all the GTs at Herb Chambers Ford 400A and 401A package premiums are all non ACC equipped and all have the normal GT grille installed.

That's also the lower grill that the block heater cars get too. Every northern GT PP I looked at online has that same lower grill and block heater even without ACC. It sucks, but the lower grills are available on eBay for around $60, or in my case I just plan on doing a grill delete kit.

the car I pick up on Monday has it. GT PP 401A, with Recaros as the only other option.

image.jpg2_zpsrgi2xsfd.jpg

Last edited:

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I was at the auto show today and sat in an ecoboost and gt. There were NO other cars in the show with such poor interior quality. The shifter felt soo poor it reminded me of a dollar store toy. The quality of my 12 FAR surpasses this interior.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I was at the auto show today and sat in an ecoboost and gt. There were NO other cars in the show with such poor interior quality. The shifter felt soo poor it reminded me of a dollar store toy. The quality of my 12 FAR surpasses this interior.

If you sat in mine I think you'd feel differently.

Skrapmetal

Established Member

You're the first person I've heard say this. Specific issues?

So far it seems like everyone feels that the 2015 shifter is a huge improvement, and the interior has been one of the big selling points.

jdcobra

Established Member

So far it seems like everyone feels that the 2015 shifter is a huge improvement, and the interior has been one of the big selling points.

Shifter is an improvement but it still sucks. I can't believe they still used the same flimsy rear mount and bushing. I would have thought that they would have upgraded that.

heatsoaked12

Established Member

Just to be clear, I'm a mustang fan. Besides the shifter, the toggle switches in the centre consul felt like a very cheap plastic switch like the type of feel you get out of a really cheap rc car remote control. Maybe this is a show model sort of like how mobile phone stores have fake phones on display? are the switches in the centre consul plastic in all models?

Users who are viewing this thread