SVT GODS need your 2 cents

MachToLoud1

Established Member
I'm currently on a 2.9 non crusher whipple with a 3.00 upper stock lower on e85. I'm in the 700's but tx2k is around the corner and I want to turn the boost up lol

So my question is anybody ran a 2.75 or 2.875 and stock lower on a 2.9 whipple? Or should I stay with the 3.00 and run a 2lb lower. Or am I just rolling the dice and asking for trouble????

Thanks

stangfreak

Established Member
Maybe on e85 it may be different, but I just bumped up my boost from 22 to 25, ms109 and gained 6hp and zero tq. The dyno chart looked funny. The tq curve had no arc and it was just flat. I contacted whipple and they told me I am over spinning my blower creating more heat. I mean, we overspin the eaton but yet we still gain more tq. I made 716rwhp 640rwtq. I also have the 2.9 non crusher. maybe something else is wrong with my car or maybe the 2.9 non crusher really ran out of steam on 25lbs!

gabe1530

Banned
what fuel are you on now?
if your on e85, you could try a smaller pulley. i do not recommend a metco lower.

i do think a 75-100 shot would be better though. youll get the power you want without over spinning the blower, having belt slip, or switching to a metco lower.

besides that, if you want more power, youll have to dive into the heads/cams which will get expensive fast.

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
Maybe on e85 it may be different, but I just bumped up my boost from 22 to 25, ms109 and gained 6hp and zero tq. The dyno chart looked funny. The tq curve had no arc and it was just flat. I contacted whipple and they told me I am over spinning my blower creating more heat. I mean, we overspin the eaton but yet we still gain more tq. I made 716rwhp 640rwtq. I also have the 2.9 non crusher. maybe something else is wrong with my car or maybe the 2.9 non crusher really ran out of steam on 25lbs!

Upper only ?

stangfreak

Established Member
Upper only ?

3.25 upper 4lb lower. I know people think that adding a lower adds tq. Well yes. Your adding more boost. If. Upper only pulley car makes 20 lbs let's say and a upper and lower pulley cobra makes 20 lbs both combos should make the same numbers.

JCH03SVT

Established Member
3.25 upper 4lb lower. I know people think that adding a lower adds tq. Well yes. Your adding more boost. If. Upper only pulley car makes 20 lbs let's say and a upper and lower pulley cobra makes 20 lbs both combos should make the same numbers.

This is not true. A lower pulley car will make more tq than an upper only at the same boost levels.

gtmustang00

Established Member
what fuel are you on now?
if your on e85, you could try a smaller pulley. i do not recommend a metco lower.

i do think a 75-100 shot would be better though. youll get the power you want without over spinning the blower, having belt slip, or switching to a metco lower.

besides that, if you want more power, youll have to dive into the heads/cams which will get expensive fast.

What is wrong with the Metco lowers? I have had a 4lb lower since probably 06ish. Current set up is 2.9 whipple 3.5 upper with Metco 4lb lower. 24.75lbs of boost. Been this way for a year now. Will be adding headers but not sure on 1 3/4 or 1 7/8.

01yellercobra

Established Member
This is not true. A lower pulley car will make more tq than an upper only at the same boost levels.
I've seen this posted a few times and it makes no sense to me. A blower doesn't know what pulley is spinning it. 15psi is 15psi no matter the combo.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member

I've seen this posted a few times and it makes no sense to me. A blower doesn't know what pulley is spinning it. 15psi is 15psi no matter the combo.

Your both right and yes I know that makes no sense lol. My personal theory is that the cars would trap the same speed, but on a dyno, the car running a lower is going to register a higher torque number.

Edit - to the OP, honestly - why bother. You might squeeze out another 60whp but what's that going to do at TX2k when you have 1kwhp cars everywhere?

Last edited:

stangfreak

Established Member

No idea why my post didnt register but I am not typing it again. This topic has been beaten to death before some of the embers on here even had a cobra. If you truly believe that and it makes you happy, cool. Iv had my cobra for 13 years and went though more pulley and supercharger combos than you can possibly think of and if you do a search when we had a group purchase for the 2.9 whipple? We had cobras making the same hp and tq at equal boost levels with or without a lower. No lower pulley car will magically make more tq.

The lower was designed for more boost then what a upper pulley can achieve and belt wrap. Not moore tq. People were putting a 2.60 upper on the eaton and some had to grind stuff. Stupid IMO. So we add lowers.

Look up my results and jays resUlts who had the white cobra vert when we did the 2.9 whipple at the same shop. He also had one the first procharger kits for the cobra and is one of the cobra pioneers.

JCH03SVT

Established Member
No idea why my post didnt register but I am not typing it again. This topic has been beaten to death before some of the embers on here even had a cobra. If you truly believe that and it makes you happy, cool. Iv had my cobra for 13 years and went though more pulley and supercharger combos than you can possibly think of and if you do a search when we had a group purchase for the 2.9 whipple? We had cobras making the same hp and tq at equal boost levels with or without a lower. No lower pulley car will magically make more tq.

The lower was designed for more boost then what a upper pulley can achieve and belt wrap. Not moore tq. People were putting a 2.60 upper on the eaton and some had to grind stuff. Stupid IMO. So we add lowers.

Look up my results and jays resUlts who had the white cobra vert when we did the 2.9 whipple at the same shop. He also had one the first procharger kits for the cobra and is one of the cobra pioneers.

From personal experience, a friend of mine and I both ran 2.3 Whipples on our last cars. He had long tubes, stage 3 comp cams running right around 19 lbs and made 596 tq. I had long tubes and a 4lb lower, stock cams and made 629tq on the same dyno. Before his cams he made 565 tq. I've seen others make higher tq levels at the same boost using a lower as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
From personal experience, a friend of mine and I both ran 2.3 Whipples on our last cars. He had long tubes, stage 3 comp cams running right around 19 lbs and made 596 tq. I had long tubes and a 4lb lower, stock cams and made 629tq on the same dyno. Before his cams he made 565 tq. I've seen others make higher tq levels at the same boost using a lower as well.

What were both of your pulley combos and how much boost were you seeing on your car? I imagine the cams would lose some torque in order to pick up power in the higher rpm range. Not really apples to apples IMO.

Last edited:

wesking1

Established Member
What were both of your pulley combos and how much boost were you seeing on your car? I imagine the cams would lose some torque in order to pick up power in the higher rpm range. Not really apples to apples IMO.

Hes talking about my old car.. when adding the cams i picked up both horse power and tq but before cams car still made 645 hp and mid 500s on tq... Pulley combo was 3.0 upper only.. but theres other things that come in to play as well i had dual blade inlet he had single blade he had jlt high boost intake i had stock intake with a big filter on it.. He had 1-3/4 headers i had 1-5/8s..

But to the OP if i was you and just had to have more power Id do a lower pulley metco makes a great product and a larger lower pulley will help with belt slip..

MG0h3

Established Member

I think its time to go with a crusher inlet then?

JCH03SVT

Established Member

I had a 3.2 upper and 4lb lower and he had 3.0 upper. If I remember right, we were within less than a lb of each other before his cams. My comparison was more based on before his cams. I didn't really do my torque levels justice by going 1 3/4 w/3 inch x at my power levels either so it's still a pretty reliable comparison. He made the 645 565tq (pre-cams) in cool weather and I was in the heat of summer.

Users who are viewing this thread