SVT Does not recommend removing the hood blanket - paint damage

Goldy

Established Member
I called SVT (1.800.367.3788), asking about operating the car without the hood blanket/liner. I was told in no uncertain terms not to do it, atleast not for the long term.

Per whoever it was I spoke with at SVT (Matt? I think), I was told that they have seen paint damage on the hoods of older Mustangs which had the hood liner removed. He told me that it's probably ok for a little while, but over time, the heat from the engine will damage the paint.

For those of you who have removed your hood blanket, take this for what it's worth.

Howard

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's exactly what some folks on this forum have said. I could never see the real value in removing it to begin with. The airflow difference on or off is negligible.

KNGOBRA

Banned
Ha ha.."paint damage", our cars came from the factory with paint damage!! Go outside an take a look at your hood and count all of the chips in such a short time.... :cuss:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Goldy
I was told that they have seen paint damage on the hoods of older Mustangs which had the hood liner removed.

I've seen paint damage on the hoods of older Mustangs which still had the hood liner. So that proves what? :shrug:

Of course SVT won't tell you to take a part off the car. If the guys who took off their differential weight called SVT and asked if they should do it, what do you think SVT would say?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
did they say they would (continually) warranty-replace it for water damage?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: Re: SVT Does not recommend removing the hood blanket - paint damage

Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
I've seen paint damage on the hoods of older Mustangs which still had the hood liner. So that proves what? :shrug:

Of course SVT won't tell you to take a part off the car. If the guys who took off their differential weight called SVT and asked if they should do it, what do you think SVT would say?

It proves that sleeping through logic class leads to Forum disadvantage. It is illogical to assume that because you see one thing, the other thing is no longer valid. Crazing or cracking in the clearcoat can occur from repeated heat-cool cycling from a hot engine below the hood, esp. unprotected in the "pull the thing off" crowd- it thermally stresses the paint, dries out the clear, and once the clear is violated, it is just a matter of time until it peels and looks horrible.

However, this can also happen from above rather than below, which could explain why even with the pad, the paint can go bad - if the clear deteriorates from sun exposure and failure to remove accumulated pollutants and protrect it with wax or polish protectants, the same thing can happen. It can also happen from road debris (like pebbles) causing small holes in the clear, which allows water to enter the clear, and the cool/heat compression/expansion cycle causes cracks in the clear (think of it like a pothole formation).

I for the life of me do not understand why anyone would pull it off - it is there for several reasons - if engineering could not justify it, accounting would pull it in a minute - saving many millions of $'s annually - they don't because of noise standards, RF pollution standards, and the greater likelihood of thermal paint damage.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Well I think I will run right out and put mine back on.............Well on second thought maybe not......................I like the red under side just fine.

mosconiac

Established Member
I yanked the hood blanket and I'm not worried in the least about heat damage to the paint.

Even if I were, at the rate I'm getting rock chips (gouges??) on the leading edge of the hood and snout of my '03...I'll be repainting it before any heat damage could occur anyway.

grnenvy

Established Member
With the hood vents opened I don't think that the heat from under the hood is any worse than the hot summer sun on it. Plus if you wanted you could lift the hood about 1/4 inch in the back to release the heat even better.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
it is probably ther for external sound deadening only . the heat only cooks big time when the airflow stops (parked car engine off after high speed blast)

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yup - There are govt drive by noise regs, but you seem to forget the grounding strap for the metallized foil backing - that is there to reduce RF - a composite hood does not shield radio energy.

Yes, the heat is highest during "hot soak" after switch off - that is exactly the point. And the combination of heat from above and thermals from the engine will be additive - even the vents will not eliminate the heat buildup. I for one would not want to rest my hand on the hood for long in August heat here in Virginia without a pad.

I still am not clear on why remove it? So you can see the hood color? (not a problem with mineral grey):shrug:

Last edited:

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I took my liner off about a week ago. I actually took it off to do the "hood mod," but was too lazy to actually do the mod (too busy actually), so it never made it back on. I was thinking of just leaving the liner off, but seems that there might be some long term damage. On the other hand, the paint on these cars is so bad, I really can't see the paint on the front end lasting more than 3-4 years anyways?

Also, what about all the guys with aftermarket hoods running without liners? I also seem to remember the cobra R not having a liner... and that still has a composite hood???

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: SVT Does not recommend removing the hood blanket - paint damage

Originally posted by Cobra'03

I for the life of me do not understand why anyone would pull it off

because it looks like a bird shit all over it.

:beer:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: SVT Does not recommend removing the hood blanket - paint damage

Originally posted by Cobra'03
It proves that sleeping through logic class leads to Forum disadvantage.

HA! I did sleep through some logic classes. All that conjuctive, disjunctive crap was so boring. Still aced it though...

I'm tired of the liner stuff. :sleeping: Mark this down as a topic to ignore in future threads.

Nobody but Ford's engineers can give us the answer we want, and I haven't seen an engineer who worked on the Cobra post here yet.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Cobra'03: ...if engineering could not justify it, accounting would pull it in a minute...

Precisely.

sonicbullet

Established Member
Common sense people , I am going to leave mine alone. I would make the cut outs bigger but this will cause my engine to get dirty when I wash it....

Users who are viewing this thread