svt cobra vs. 03 roush stage 3

ultimatecc

Established Member
hey wats up. i have a question for you guys. i am in looking to buy a cobra but i have come across a 03 roush stage 3 and i am wondering wats the difference between the cobra and the roush. is there a difference in the blocks or a huge difference in the superchargers? they both have the same horsepower stock i just want to kno wats the difference like engine, suspension, rearend, etc? thanx

GodStang

Established Member
Is it a Cobra roush or a GT roush. The GT Roush stage III is a 2 valve. Did not think it was the same HP.

cobradude

SVT DUDE
Established Member
It is not forged, it can't make as much hp's at all!!! It is a gt w/ a body kit and a baby s/c on it, their nice cars but, their is no comparison when it comes to performance....Cobra all the way!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For all the reasons above my choice would be an '03/'04 Cobra. A LOT more potential. I do like the Roush side exhaust and body kit, but personally it takes second fiddle to the Terminator. JMO.

P.S. - Nothing like having people look at the 4-valve heads and ask if it's a big-block. :)

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Funny....when ever I pop my hood people can't beleive the size of the heads!! They definatley make a presence.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
ultimatecc said:
hey wats up. i have a question for you guys. i am in looking to buy a cobra but i have come across a 03 roush stage 3 and i am wondering wats the difference between the cobra and the roush. is there a difference in the blocks or a huge difference in the superchargers? they both have the same horsepower stock i just want to kno wats the difference like engine, suspension, rearend, etc? thanx

However I have been in a Roush 380R and that sucker was fast!!!!

RedfireSVT

Established Member
Plus if you choose a Roush over a Cobra you are automatically banned from this forum. :poke:

jwhite

Established Member
IMO, stock for stock, the stage3 Roush will overall (braking, slalom, 1/4 mile, skid-pad etc...) out-perform the stock terminator.
however, like others have said, the terminator has much more power adding potential.

If you want a car that you can modify to no end, get the terminator.

If you want a car that is extremely rare (only 306 stage3 premiums made from 2001-2004), a car that can more than hold it's own on the straight away as well as around the corners and look good doing it, get the stage3 Roush

but then again, i may be a little biased :rockon:
8e0ad255.jpg

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I really depends what you are looking for.
03-04 Cobra's like stated earlier come with forged internals and can handle a lot more boost out of the box than the Roush.
The Roush is more agile around the corners and turns alot of heads.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree that the Roush turns heads. But then again it doesn't take much to make a Terminator a head turner either. :)

Bottom line. Both are nice. I can see why it would be a hard decision for some to make.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
svtnos1011 said:
they are slow, i ownT one before when i was pretty much stock
Stock for stock the Roush is faster and will definitely out handle a Cobra. The Roush uses the stock GT engine with an M90 blower. It puts down similar #'s as a stock Cobra, but is lighter with a solid rear and an upgraded suspension. This is why it's faster in the 1/4 than a stock Cobra. When it comes to modding the engine for more power the Cobra wins hands down. The Roush can only take a few more lbs of boost where the Cobra's forged engine can take allot more. I would prefer the Roush, it is a better balanced performance Mustang than the Cobra. If you want an easily modified, high hp monster the Cobra is the way to go.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Stock versus stock, the Roush will turn more heads and win more car shows. But of course, everyone already knows the Cobra is the way to go if you're looking for high performance. Then again, you could get the best of both worlds and try to find a Roush Cobra...but those are extremely rare.

I think it would be a good idea asking opinions on these two cars here and a Roush board just to get both POVs.

TEABG

Banned
WraithCobra said:
Stock for stock the Roush is faster and will definitely out handle a Cobra. The Roush uses the stock GT engine with an M90 blower. It puts down similar #'s as a stock Cobra, but is lighter with a solid rear and an upgraded suspension. This is why it's faster in the 1/4 than a stock Cobra. When it comes to modding the engine for more power the Cobra wins hands down. The Roush can only take a few more lbs of boost where the Cobra's forged engine can take allot more. I would prefer the Roush, it is a better balanced performance Mustang than the Cobra. If you want an easily modified, high hp monster the Cobra is the way to go.

Roush does not put down similar numbers as the Cobra. Are we comparing the Cobra to new 05+ Roush or the 99-04 Roush ?

jwhite

Established Member
TEABG said:
Roush does not put down similar numbers as the Cobra. Are we comparing the Cobra to new 05+ Roush or the 99-04 Roush ?

the stock stage3 Roush mustang is rated at 360-380 (flywheel) horsepower at 6psi boost (depending on year of car 2001-2004)

Last edited:

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
TEABG said:
Um, comparing stock to stock off the showroom floor they sure do. All the dyno numbers I can find on an '03 - '04 Stage 3 (360 to 375) are similar to the same year Cobra (360 - 380), unmodified. The Roush uses the smaller M90 at less boost, less parasitic drag, on a higher compression motor. The Roush weighs less than the Cobra and does run a faster 1/4. Now it's true the Cobra is easily modified and has more potential, I only had a JLT RAI and MagnaFlow cat back when I dyno'd 426/401. Simple mods will put the Cobra ahead in a straight line, but even at 360 RWHP the Stage 3 would run circles around it on a track with a few curves.

Last edited:

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
jwhite said:
IMO, stock for stock, the stage3 Roush will overall (braking, slalom, 1/4 mile, skid-pad etc...) out-perform the stock terminator.
however, like others have said, the terminator has much more power adding potential.

If you want a car that you can modify to no end, get the terminator.

If you want a car that is extremely rare (only 306 stage3 premiums made from 2001-2004), a car that can more than hold it's own on the straight away as well as around the corners and look good doing it, get the stage3 Roush

but then again, i may be a little biased :rockon:
8e0ad255.jpg

I have to disagree an 03/04 will out performe a stage 3 roush hands down --you are paying for the "Bling" with a roush get a Cobra you will be happy you did

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
I8URZ28 said:
I have to disagree an 03/04 will out performe a stage 3 roush hands down --you are paying for the "Bling" with a roush get a Cobra you will be happy you did
I wanted a Roush, bought the Cobra, still want a Roush. In a straight line the Cobra can easily be made faster, but not everyone wants a car for its straight line performance. Although I liked the IRS in the Cobra, it would take a few modifications front and rear to make it handle as well as the Roush. Even then the Cobra will still be heavier in the corners.
I don't consider the Roush as "bling" either, the body kit differentiates it from the Mustang it was modified from in the same way as the Cobra has different looks than the Mustang GT.
It all comes down to what the purchaser wants, I'd rather pay more for a well rounded performance Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread