SVT-C handle as well as a SHO??

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
Ive got a SHO right now...Might be looking into another car.

I dont want anything too fast, and something that gets good mileage. I need to have downtime for my SHO, as I want to piece together a turbo kit.

And since im a corner carver, and I am coming from my SHO with lots of suspension work, I NEED something that can handle.

How are these on handling?

vicious781

Former Army Brat
Established Member
I think I can handle this question. One of my old buddies had a 95' SHO and switched to a 2000 SVT contour. Stock vs Stock, the SVT C was quite a bit more nimble than the SHO. It rode well, and got decent milage. I would say it was an improvement but what you really need to do is get out and drive one!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The CSVT stock v stock will whoop a stock SHOs ass in the twisties.

mclarida

Established Member
I own a 93 sho and a 98 csvt.The svt will win-It is just a better engineered car-better handling-and just as fast. Hands down-
M

Steeltwo

Established Member
i got to ride in an auto SHO a few days ago.

it has nasty chasis flex.

the handling and braking were better on the csvt

but the top end grunt of even that auto sho was more. especially around when the csvt is in 4th.

Last edited:

The BigSHO

Established Member
CSVT all the way. CSVT is better handling and braking. Drivers race against a SHO from a dig. SHO is better from a roll.

I miss my CSVTs and will have another some day. Not taking anything from SHO, CSVT is better...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
The CSVT stock v stock will whoop a stock SHOs ass in the twisties.

Have you driven a SHO and can vouch for this??

I talked to one of my local club members yesterday and he has had MANY SHOs..He now only owns a V6 SHO, A V8 SHO and a 1999 CSVT...He says the CSVT handles better than SOME of his previous SHOs.

Honestly tho..My SHO's suspension is stiff as hell, Ive driven my share of SHOs and honestly, none truly compared to mine...Minus my friends 95 MTX, his is damn near as good as mine.

If what you are saying is true...I might have to pick up one of these things.

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
mclarida said:
I own a 93 sho and a 98 csvt.The svt will win-It is just a better engineered car-better handling-and just as fast. Hands down-
M

Sorry, but CSVT's arent as fast as a SHO. What makes you think its so much better engineered??

Steeltwo said:
i got to ride in an auto SHO a few days ago.

it has nasty chasis flex.

the handling and braking were better on the csvt

but the top end grunt of even that auto sho was more. especially around when the csvt is in 4th.

I find that the SHO has a bit of chassis flex, But I wouldnt give it nasty flex. You might have ridden in a slouchy suspension'd SHO..Ive driven my share of those.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
SVT-Wannabe said:
Have you driven a SHO and can vouch for this??

I talked to one of my local club members yesterday and he has had MANY SHOs..He now only owns a V6 SHO, A V8 SHO and a 1999 CSVT...He says the CSVT handles better than SOME of his previous SHOs.

Honestly tho..My SHO's suspension is stiff as hell, Ive driven my share of SHOs and honestly, none truly compared to mine...Minus my friends 95 MTX, his is damn near as good as mine.

If what you are saying is true...I might have to pick up one of these things.
I owned a modified 93 ATX, and a 90. So yes, I can vouch for this. I just sold my modified 3.0L Contour SVT 3-4 weeks ago. The SHO's engineer is from the mid 90s and was geared to be a family cruiser in the United States. The Contour platform was design from the get go to be a 'world' car and from that it got lots of European design cues and that signed through especially in its handling department.

Again, my comparision was STOCK V STOCK, but either way, once you start modifying the CSVT will still be ahead of the SHO in the handling department. Period.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
SVT-Wannabe said:
Sorry, but CSVT's arent as fast as a SHO. What makes you think its so much better engineered??

I find that the SHO has a bit of chassis flex, But I wouldnt give it nasty flex. You might have ridden in a slouchy suspension'd SHO..Ive driven my share of those.
If you want to take 1/4 times, they are about the same, with the SHO trapping a few MPH higher. Now, if you go from a roll, the SHO will win. From a dead stop its a driver's race.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
I've driven a 95 SHO on several occasions over the years. I've driven from the time it was new and up until it had a complete suspension overhaul, so I am not comparing a car with a sloppy suspension. The SVT will outhandle and outstop the SHO any day of the week. The SVT was made to be a corner carver. The SHO was not. As far as performance, its a close race from a stop, with the SVT maybe having a slight advantage. In a highway race, the SHO has the advantage.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
SVTF would probably take both of them by a large margin in the twisties. And the brakes on the SVTF are a few steps ahead... Have you considered getting an SVTF? I'm sure either one would be nice. I'm actually thinking about buying a SVTC as another DD. They are really nice from what everyone has told me!

Y2KSVT

Established Member
Anaxagoras1986 said:
SVTF would probably take both of them by a large margin in the twisties. And the brakes on the SVTF are a few steps ahead... Have you considered getting an SVTF? I'm sure either one would be nice. I'm actually thinking about buying a SVTC as another DD. They are really nice from what everyone has told me!

Actually, I'd put the CSVT ahead of the FSVT in the handling department. The braking is a given, with the FSVT having 300mm front rotors, bigger calipers, and a lot less weight to stop. That's why a lot of the CSVT guys are upgrading to the FSVT front brakes. Until you've driven/ridden in a CSVT, and really pushed it's limits, it's hard to believe how well it handles. Throw in some stiff suspension components and some sticky tires, and these things are awesome in the corners.

Mark

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
Your the first person that has said something about the SVTC being better than the SVTF. Since I have not driven a Contour yet I can't really argue the point but everyone I have spoken to says the Focus is quite a bit sharper. What are they like during AutoX events?

Y2k- I think I posted this in the wrong section. Nice setup!
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311653

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Well, after driving a FSVT as well(my dad owns the 95 SHO and an 02 FSVT), they're really not that far off from each other. The FSVT might have a little of an advantage, but its not huge. It does however have much better steering response than the CSVT.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
I need to drive one of these SVTCs. The Focus is a rally car so if these Contours are that good I want one! haha

Steeltwo

Established Member
SVT-Wannabe said:
the sho had less miles than my csvt and bfg kd's. So I think that might have amp'd the amount of flex that was present. The suspension was fine. It'd roll, but once it hit it's limit it'd be fine, But you could tell the chasis was flexing big time on the low radius high speed turns.

as for the csvt out handling the svt foci. it doesn't.
I rode in a 100% stock suspension svtf a few weeks ago at the autox. the svt foci has a bit of oversteer dialed in :)

lots more fun and due to that oversteer, it can be pushed much further than the understeering csvt.

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
I have experienced the slight oversteer in turns. It completely suprised me because I am use to FWD card understeering at the limit.

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
Jason43 said:
they're really not that far off from each other. The FSVT might have a little of an advantage, but its not huge. It does however have much better steering response than the CSVT.
I agree, stock for stock they are reasonably close in handling up to about 7/10's of their potential. I haven't had a chance to really push either car to their limits, so I can't vouch for the comparison on 8/10's to 10/10's of their potential.

Because of the steering response and the brakes, I'd put the SVTF ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread