Suspension Mods

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Ok guys..I'm leaving my current job and going into a different field..So I have a chunk of change coming and I want to do some mods on my suspension.

My budget is about $3k ..I'm not a do it yourselfer so please keep this in mind.

I've looked at the Maximum Motorsport Road and Track box

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/giab2.asp

Looks like almost everything you need except an IRS brace and Bushings. good deal for $1800.any thoughts as to how much installation would be?

I wont be doing any track events ..this is my daily driver,I may do some autocross if I can find some around here.

You guys have any other suggestions? I will be adding silver FR500 wheels and some new tires as well..not a part of the $3K

oh and maybe a cat back and a ...yada yada yada..

Thanks guys!

Mach0ne351

Established Member
that whole it totally sweet! BUT, instead of getting the H&R springs, opt to get teh MM coilover kits (front and Rear) for those Bilsteins shocks/struts. with those, get the MM hypercoil 350# coilover front springs and 550# hypercoil coilover rear springs. youll be set BIG TIME!

marek

CanuckCobra

Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
that whole it totally sweet! BUT, instead of getting the H&R springs, opt to get teh MM coilover kits (front and Rear) for those Bilsteins shocks/struts. with those, get the MM hypercoil 350# coilover front springs and 550# hypercoil coilover rear springs. youll be set BIG TIME!

marek

bloody suspension speak..all sounds like french!

so if I order a Coil Over Kit I dont' need the springs or Bilstiens right?

can you explain why they are better? :beer:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Coil overs are overkill if you dont track the car. A good spring/shock strut combo will get you far.

Last edited:

CanuckCobra

Established Member
It's my daily driver...alot of stop and go..light to light..a few longer road trips a year..not alot of highway miles. It's a vert so a track is out of the question without a rollbar(not!)

But the Suspension is the thing I hate the most about this car,that and drivetrain slop...so I don't mind spending a bit of $$ to make it tighter

TnPaulMan

Banned
I am going with the whole Griggs setup in a year or two. I do plan on going overkill because this is going to be a ProTouring car. I plan on spending about 4K with me doing most all of the work. Its not hard work, just time consuming.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
coilovers are NOT overkill. mine is a daily driver...drive tons in it....that spring rate is perfect for street and track usuage. coilovers delete the whole "conventional" springs thing (ex. eibachs, h&r springs). they replace them with the coilover springs, which go "ontop" of your shocks and struts. that MM kit comes with bilstein shocks/struts. look at these pics of mine to get the idea.

http://www.32valve.com/installs_mmfrontcoilovers.htm

honestly dude, if your gonna do it right, do it right the first time and get it over with. you will benefit a lot more with the coilovers, especially since you are totally doing a big suspension change with that entire kit. do it the best way......with all the MM stuff, minus the H&R springs, and add-in the MM front and rear coilover kits. seriously dude, for the extra money, youll notice a night/day difference....

marek

Mach0ne351

Established Member
here:

Conventional spring/strut system: notice the lowering springs on the lower right, and the bilstein strut. that's the typical system..
DSCF0015.jpg

coilover setup: notice the lowering spring is now gone, and a spring is install on the strut.
DSC05565.jpg

-marek

ecphsca

Established Member
Considering that primary use will be a street car and that you will be paying for someone to install that parts, I thing that the MM kit is probably more than you need. (but still a good quality kit if you want to go that way) I'd get a set of lowering springs ( I like my Steeda Sports) and go with a set of adjustable shocks like Koni sports. (I don't think Tokico markets a rear shock for the IRS or I'd recommend them for a street car) Add the camber plates and subframe connectors if you think you need them. I'd also install poly bushings to the rear subframe mounts and the pinion. And the diff brace if you have the 99 or 01. Keep the stock control arm bushings for your application. Then I go for a set of 4.10 gears which will really liven up the car and maybe a MGW shiifter. Should be well within your budget (US $$) With the exhaust mods should be a great ride.
Just my semi informed opinion.

good luck
go fast
have fun (summer is coming!)
joe

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
coilovers are NOT overkill. mine is a daily driver...drive tons in it....that spring rate is perfect for street and track usuage. coilovers delete the whole "conventional" springs thing (ex. eibachs, h&r springs). they replace them with the coilover springs, which go "ontop" of your shocks and struts. that MM kit comes with bilstein shocks/struts. look at these pics of mine to get the idea.

http://www.32valve.com/installs_mmfrontcoilovers.htm

honestly dude, if your gonna do it right, do it right the first time and get it over with. you will benefit a lot more with the coilovers, especially since you are totally doing a big suspension change with that entire kit. do it the best way......with all the MM stuff, minus the H&R springs, and add-in the MM front and rear coilover kits. seriously dude, for the extra money, youll notice a night/day difference....

marek

I don't think you understand that some people are just content with a lower stance and a firmer ride. 99% of all Mustang drivers don't give a crap about height adjustability, the minute weight savings, or the spring rate choices. It's really not worth the extra cost over a good set of shocks and some springs. Why are you so hell bent on getting people to blow over $1500 lowering their cars?? :dw:

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
BlueStripe said:
I don't think you understand that some people are just content with a lower stance and a firmer ride. 99% of all Mustang drivers don't give a crap about height adjustability, the minute weight savings, or the spring rate choices. It's really not worth the extra cost over a good set of shocks and some springs. Why are you so hell bent on getting people to blow over $1500 lowering their cars?? :dw:

He is trying to give the guy a idea of a good setup. When most people do suspenion they don't like to leave things out. Yes he can save some money going with a smaller amount of parts. Will he get the same ride quality out of the cheaper parts? I don't know but info is info don't bash someone else because you don't like what info he is giving, and Let the guy decide for himself.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Mach0ne351 said:
coilovers are NOT overkill. mine is a daily driver...drive tons in it....that spring rate is perfect for street and track usuage .

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy adjustable coil overs for a car that never sees the track. C/O are the best, but there is just no reason to spend the excess money instead of a conventional set up for a street only car. A lot of the benefits of coilovers are not even going to begin to be tapped in driving around on the street. Since you track your car, it made sense to go c/o and I'm sure they are awesome around town too, but for a car that isn't going to see the track regularly, the additional $$$$$$$ isn't necessary.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
blown01cobra said:
He is trying to give the guy a idea of a good setup. When most people do suspenion they don't like to leave things out. Yes he can save some money going with a smaller amount of parts. Will he get the same ride quality out of the cheaper parts? I don't know but info is info don't bash someone else because you don't like what info he is giving, and Let the guy decide for himself.

Damnit Bryant. Stop posting and come fix my exhaust hanger in the rain. :D

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
blown01cobra said:
Shut up and get back to studing, and stop posting from the library.

No library, at my crib. Oh yeah, apparently you aren't stud y ing either.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
blown01cobra said:

Info is info, until it's bad info. Suggesting that someone who knows very little about suspensions purchase a coilover kit is a recipe for an unhappy customer. Might sound all well and good with that "do it right the first time", but there was no mention of having to corner weight the car, getting a bumpsteer kit, an alignment involving the afore mentioned bumpsteer setting (which most shops seem to overlook), selecting spring rates, etc...

It's not as plug-and-play as some people would have you think. Especially if you want to do it right the first time.

CanuckCobra

Established Member
BlueStripe said:
Info is info, until it's bad info. Suggesting that someone who knows very little about suspensions purchase a coilover kit is a recipe for an unhappy customer. Might sound all well and good with that "do it right the first time", but there was no mention of having to corner weight the car, getting a bumpsteer kit, an alignment involving the afore mentioned bumpsteer setting (which most shops seem to overlook), selecting spring rates, etc...

It's not as plug-and-play as some people would have you think. Especially if you want to do it right the first time.

do you think the kit i am looking at is overkill for a daily driver...I should mention that with an IRS brace I am hope for less wheelhop...and from what i can gather full length SFC's are a must for a vert..

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
BlueStripe said:

You are suppose to get a bumsteer kit when you lower the car. Doesn't matter if it is lowered by coil springs or coilovers. How is it bad info? directions come with the kit that tell you everything and MM directions are top notch IMO. I did coilovers and I had no previous coilover knowledge, so I asked questions to figure out what was best for my car. As stated above it may be overkill for a street car and it just might be. Inever said It was bad info to go with a cheaper route, and I have done it also on previous mustangs I have owned before.

Also to me you sound like someone who like to cut corners? If so i would not want to be reciveing info from you but info is info take it and learn from it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread