Suspension Issues

h4cHi

Established Member
I installed today a Hotchkis rear suspension package (UCA,LCA,PHB) and a set of Ford Racing K-Springs and now I have a loud thump whenever shifting gears or letting off of the throttle. My friend and I have come to the conclusion that the OEM bolt holding the heim joint is too small and was wondering if anyone has come across this issue and came up with the same conclusion and if not what were the other problems you encountered. Thanks in advance!

nsadams87xx

Established Member
Heim joints can by nature be loud and transmit a lot of NVH. The OEM bolts should be fine. My UPR LCA's have solid joints on one end, no major increase in noise though.

BMR Tech

Does the UCA that they offer, use the stock mount? If so, does it use the stock bolt?

If so, do they provide any type of washer/spacer to install with the UCA, to take up the slop in the hole on the mount?

The following picture clearly shows why it is important to install an Upper Mount, when you install an aftermarket UCA. If you are using the stock UCA Mount, then this will likely show your issue, and you will want an aftermarket mount:

2011UCM.jpg

h4cHi

Established Member
and is it possible to use just a different size bolt or is that absolutely out of the question?

h4cHi

Established Member
I would but hotchkis is closed until Monday and Im trying to get this fixed before tomorrow so I can go to the track for the last time this year :\

BMR Tech

h4cHi

Established Member
Our mount will work for you.

2005 - 2014 Mustang GT | Upper Control Arms | UCM002 - Upper Control Arm Mount | BMR Suspension - The Leader in High Performance Suspension & Chassis

I am not sure, but in the past, we were the only company that made our products direct fit for the 2011+ cars. Most were integrating/re-using the 2005-2010 Mounts to work on the 2011's.

Our mount also comes with a new 18mm through bolt, that is not stepped (shoulder) like the factory bolt.....for a better fit.

So, I have purchased your mount and been speaking to Kelly this week and finally got everything off and last night I went to install the mount to the frame and it appears that the mount will not allow the screws to go in straight?both screws will go in one slanted one straight but it appears that the screw hole on the mount is maybe an 1/8th of an inch off can anyone help me with a resolution?

Deranged2013

Established Member
Try loosening the mount bolts a bit, then try to install the UCA bolt, then retorque the mount bolts. Also, is your LCA's adjustable? Maybe your rear axle isn't at a perfect 90* to the mount or DS.

h4cHi

Established Member
Try loosening the mount bolts a bit, then try to install the UCA bolt, then retorque the mount bolts. Also, is your LCA's adjustable? Maybe your rear axle isn't at a perfect 90* to the mount or DS.

I can't get the uca mount bolts to go in straight.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I just read your post again. It looks like you are saying the mounting bolt holes are not lining up with the bolt holes underneath the car. If that's the case, then the mount may be off. Sorry, not awake enough yet. I NEED more COFFEE

h4cHi

Established Member
I just read your post again. It looks like you are saying the mounting bolt holes are not lining up with the bolt holes underneath the car. If that's the case, then the mount may be off. Sorry, not awake enough yet. I NEED more COFFEE

Yea idk if I cant screw the bolts in cause im retarded or if the mounts off

GBCoyote

Established Member
Please post what the issue was for future people's problems and to also help BMR with future diagnosing similar issues.

BMR Tech

h4cHi, please call me tomorrow to discuss sir. I apologize if there were any issues with the part, and I hope it didn't take much effort to get the issue resolved?

Unfortunately, we do have issues occasioanlly on welded components. This part (UCM) for example, is tricky sometimes....as you have to fight with BMR VS OEM tolerances. No only that, but, that part has a lot of welding on it....and I have seen sometimes, issues with it "drawing" if it is pulled off of the jig prematurely.

Then there is also the fact that it must be torqued to well over 200ftlbs....and if everything is not PERFECT, it can slightly throw off the mounting holes. I have to rely on BMR, or other companies (Hotchkis in this situation) to ensure that the width of the bushing oedn of the UCA is exactly that of the factory UCA.

That said, had a chance to test it out? Any difference?

h4cHi

Established Member
h4cHi, please call me tomorrow to discuss sir. I apologize if there were any issues with the part, and I hope it didn't take much effort to get the issue resolved?

Unfortunately, we do have issues occasioanlly on welded components. This part (UCM) for example, is tricky sometimes....as you have to fight with BMR VS OEM tolerances. No only that, but, that part has a lot of welding on it....and I have seen sometimes, issues with it "drawing" if it is pulled off of the jig prematurely.

Then there is also the fact that it must be torqued to well over 200ftlbs....and if everything is not PERFECT, it can slightly throw off the mounting holes. I have to rely on BMR, or other companies (Hotchkis in this situation) to ensure that the width of the bushing oedn of the UCA is exactly that of the factory UCA.

That said, had a chance to test it out? Any difference?
We just got off the phone a little bit over an hour ago, you guys have been more than
helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread