surprised by no wheel hop for once

etfhb

Established Member
participated in my first autocross event last week (had much more fun than i expected) did as i was told and filled my potenza 750's to 38 psi on all four tires.

16 runs later and my vert never hopped the entire time.
instead of the dreaded hop i always have, i had the enjoyment of kicking out the rearend at will for the entire event.

my guess is the extra psi was enough to just blow past the wheel hop.
on the street rear tires have 30psi and they will hop right away with just a small amount of traction loss.

just wanted to share this since i have not seen it posted on svtp.

btw for those with verts, that cannot track their cars, (because of roll bar req.)
autocross/solo II is an excellent substitute. for the past 2 years i have ignored posts stating how enjoyable autocross events are. my thoughts were always, "parking lot, cones, max speed <60 mph, who cares, why bother."

i couldn't have been more wrong, and i will drive in more events this summer.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Autocrossing is how I got started....(back in 77 with Pintos and Mustang IIs :xpl: )

It is great fun!!! and it teaches you a lot about driving and handling basics.... learning what your car can and cannot do is a good thing :thumbsup:

etfhb

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr-

i remember reading a post where you liked the low priced sumitomo tires ~$100 each
sounds tempting to try a set for the summer for that price.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
jk03cobra said:
Just got a new set of the Falkens installed on the car. Unfortunately it's been raining every day since so I haven't got to try them out much yet. Here's another link to them for cheaper than the link you put up Jimmy.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=275&pc=18509&rd=17&ar=40
:beer:

OOOOOHHHHH baby!!! Now we are talking!!! That is a sweet deal!!!
These things are getting tremendous feed back for a 200 wear tire!!!

Rapidly approaching legend status :bowdown:
My next set of tires will likely be track only tires... after I get a set of light 17" X 9" rims...

But after the Sumis are gone... I think I'm going to try a set of those Falkens for my street sneakers :thumbsup:

jk03cobra

Established Member
Yeah, once it stops raining here Jimmy I'll let you know how I like them on the street. I thought that was a pretty great price too. :rockon: Fast, free shipping also!

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
jk03cobra and Jimmysidecar, have either of you ran nitto DR's. I bought my car with them on the rear and all they do is hop, I know I need more suspension work done which is coming soon but was just wondering if these Falcon's hop less than Nitto's or what tire does. The hop is killing me, I've yet to light them up in first or second (or third, lol).

jk03cobra, where in WI you from?

jk03cobra

Established Member
I'm living down in Janesville now. Where are you at?

By the way I've never run Nittos yet. I just got the Falkens installed a couple days ago but I havent' got to do much with them yet, as it is still raining. This weather sucks this week. :cuss:

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Funny, I heard there was another 03' 10th anniv. in Janesville, I was hoping I would have had the only one.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
SCcobra4me said:
jk03cobra and Jimmysidecar, have either of you ran nitto DR's. I bought my car with them on the rear and all they do is hop, I know I need more suspension work done which is coming soon but was just wondering if these Falcon's hop less than Nitto's or what tire does. The hop is killing me, I've yet to light them up in first or second (or third, lol).

jk03cobra, where in WI you from?

Check out postban's "red pill"... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900

That list of mods for the IRS is THE answer for wheel hop... Tires alone won't do it.
Nothing alone will do it. It is a multi-mod solution...

One of the most significant being....
DELRIN!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I'm going the 1st stage of the red pill next... incl Delrin... I helps handling just as much if not more than the hop issues!!! Nearly eliminates rear toe/steer issues... Pinion bushing issues will still be best servered by solids though IMHO.. as per MM and the "Red Pill"

BWH2003

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Check out postban's "red pill"... http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231900

That list of mods for the IRS is THE answer for wheel hop... Tires alone won't do it.

I'm going the 1st stage of the red pill next... incl Delrin... I helps handling just as much if not more than the hop issues!!! Nearly eliminates rear toe/steer issues... Pinion bushing issues will still be best servered by solids though IMHO.. as per MM and the "Red Pill"

I agree the red pill is the solution but in fact tires will work. I first put on billetflows IRS brace and then I went with bfg drag radials (315/35/17). I can launch hard in first gear and I have absolutely zero hop. I was skeptical when I put the tires on and figured I would still have hop but I dont and Im very happy with the tires. Now my friend that has nittos on his 03 still experiences hop. Im guessing the sticky compound on the bfg help it not spin.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I have MM subframes, UHMW cradle bushings (Delrin like in stiffness), MM coilovers w\ cobra R shocks and 600# springs, 295\35\18 Kumho MX tires and no more wheel hop. Ever. The tires will chatter a bit if they are cold but that is it.

I'm still on stock diff bushings and arm bushings.

And yes the new Falken Azenis are awesome. Its is nice that they are now making sizes that us muscle car guys can enjoy. The import guys have been using the Azenis sucessfully for years.

Last edited:

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:

I've started this and plan on finishing for the most part, was just curious because in the cold I hop bad buy when it's warm out I don't. Getting more of the red pill here shortly.

etfhb

Established Member

jk03cobra

Established Member
Yes it finally stopped raining here. I took the car out today after installing my new H-pipe and I have to say the tires are impressive so far. Better traction than I ever got with my GS-D3's (and I thought those were pretty good). They ride really nice and make the car seem very controlable in fast corners. I also don't seem to have any wheel hop anymore. This could be due to the new addition of SFC's though too. Either way, I'm very happy with these tires. Based on first couple drives with them, I'd say they're the best I've used so far.

Users who are viewing this thread