Surge /miss between 1700-2000 is gone

JD's04

Established Member
That is the surge /miss at low speed in 4th gear. I disconnected the DPFE sensor that did it! :)

JD's04

Established Member
It is the sensor that activates the EGR valve. It is the last square sensor on the side of the supercharger with 2 hoses and a electrical connection. I just unpluged the electrical connection.

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by JD's04
It is the sensor that activates the EGR valve. It is the last square sensor on the side of the supercharger with 2 hoses and a electrical connection. I just unpluged the electrical connection.

Best search on my recent posts on the same subject.

Disconnecting the sensor can cause the car to run lean.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by hmwave
Best search on my recent posts on the same subject.

Disconnecting the sensor can cause the car to run lean.
I was just going to say the same thing. That and I don't think it is wise to unplug ANY sensor. They all have a purpose. I would have taken it to a shop or the dealer to get the issue fixed the right way. It isn't an issue on all Cobras because mine was fine. Never once had any sign of surge/miss.

hmwave

Established Member
Again, see earlier threads for more information.

I have replaced my DPFE ($80) and EGR solenoid ($25) and I still have the driveability issue though its not quite as bad as before.

Researching this there's some thought that the root cause of the issue is a sticky EGR valve (presumably clogged with exhaust particles or otherwise gone bad).

I intend to replace my EGR valve ($80) soon to test that theory.

hmwave

Established Member
Finally found time to replace the EGR valve that's been sitting on my garage shelf for ages. The old valve still appears to work properly but I fitted the new one just to see.
BTW, you can fit a new EGR and gasket without taking the cables and driver side sensors off the blower as instructed in the shop manual but man, it's a real PITA to do the job that way.
The gasket coming apart also didn't help as half stuck to the blower facing. A pain to clean it all off way back there.

Same as before the stumbling/misfire driveability problem remains at 1500 rpm but nowhere else when using very light throttle. Damn, that is depressing.

A buddy of mine who races says he used to have similar problems with narrow band O2's in the injected cars he used to run on the street and sometimes at the track. He said the sensors age and become slower in their response time and that might be the cause of the ECU mismanaging the EGR. He thinks there's a good chance the stumble might be fixed by replacing the O2's.

My rears are already programmed off in my tune.

How much would a new set of front O2's run?
If not too bad I might test this theory out soon and pick up a couple.

Users who are viewing this thread