supercharging the mach..

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Very well written but you can debate the "do not go over 450 rwhp". I have been running at 461rwhp/462rwtq for over 50k now and the car still drives and runs like the day I installed my kit. I am running a P1SC-2 with, 3.4 pulley @ 12 degrees of timing. It was tuned by Rick @ Amazon Tuning and the car has been perfect. I won't argue that the car can be a time bomb waiting to explode above 450 rwhp but like anything else it comes down to driving habits and your tune!!!! :beer:

I 2nd that. I make 471/444 on 10 psi and the word beat doesn't explain how I drive the car on the weekends lol but I take it easy when driving most any other time.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Don't plan on over 450rwhp on the stock motor.

You'll need the following:
Maf(MACH only good for approx 340rwhp)
Fuel pump upgrades(if they don't come with it)
Clutch & flywheel
31 spline axles and diff
Guages (boost, oil press, water temp, Wideband...at a minimum)

If you go with Procharger, the P1/D1 are the same case. You can do the P1 for now and upgrade to the D1 by sending it to Procharger and they'll install the D1 impeller.

You may need an alternator upgrade. Keep an eye on the voltage in the data log. If it's dropping below 13v, that's not a good thing regarding fuel. A BAP is ok, but it's just another piece in the puzzle that COULD break. There are other options here.

You'll need a larger amount of money for fuel and tires. You WILL use more and the reasons are obvious.

Tune. You'll need to find a tuner that will explain what he's doing no matter what your question. If you get an attitude, get another tuner! This will be the most important part for longevity of the motor.

The wideband is going to be your most important gauge and you'll be watching it the most.

Depending upon your driving, you may need a larger intercooler.

Tranny - the 3650 is a tough tranny but sooner or later you'll need it rebuilt. You will know because you will start missing 3rd gear or will be getting that lock-out.

Install.....who is going to do it? If you are capable, you will save a lot of money.

You dont need a built rearend for a SC street car. If it does see the track then just dont leave hard.
You dont need all those gauges besides the wideband.
Alternator upgrade isnt needed either. Most are on stock alternator like me.
I got 28 mpg hwy making 471hp so that isnt really true. Depends how you drive.
Tune is key to a stock mach motor lasting.
Ones again, if this will be a street car that doesnt see much track time then the stock trans will be fine. I know from having over 2yrs on a stock trans and clutch making well into the 400hp range.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if you think might want a D1 later its ~$1500 for the upgrade from a P1...going through that now, most of the used kits dont but a few hundred dollar spread from P1 to D1. Just something to consider

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
You dont need a built rearend for a SC street car. If it does see the track then just dont leave hard.
You dont need all those gauges besides the wideband.
Alternator upgrade isnt needed either. Most are on stock alternator like me.
I got 28 mpg hwy making 471hp so that isnt really true. Depends how you drive.
Tune is key to a stock mach motor lasting.
Ones again, if this will be a street car that doesnt see much track time then the stock trans will be fine. I know from having over 2yrs on a stock trans and clutch making well into the 400hp range.

:beer: I am riding on the stock bottom end, stock headers, stock gears, stock rear still get around 26mpg on the highway and cannot get traction through 3 gears!!!! :beer:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
how much boost can you expect the stock motor to handle? i see a few of you guys at 450+ rwhp on 10psi without issues...

The rule of thumb has always been don't go over 450 rwhp on the stock bottom end. Like everyone keeps saying it's all in the tune and how you drive it and take care of it. There are several guys on here that are in the 470 - 500 range but that is living on the edge!!!

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
I like the idea of a Procharger, but am skeptical since I plan on regularly attending open track/HPDE events starting next month.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
how much boost can you expect the stock motor to handle? i see a few of you guys at 450+ rwhp on 10psi without issues...

The rule of thumb has always been don't go over 450 rwhp on the stock bottom end. Like everyone keeps saying it's all in the tune and how you drive it and take care of it. There are several guys on here that are in the 470 - 500 range but that is living on the edge!!!

Like OrangeMach said, most say anything over 450 isnt safe. They say don't go over 8psi on a eaton and 10psi on a vortech. I'm at 10psi on a eaton making 471. I don't really plan to push it anymore. I'm buying a house and won't have the money right away to build a motor if it goes. There was a mach on the M1R with a eaton at 8psi and a 100 shot that made 550 that lasted for a yr before he up the shot to a 150 and blow the motor. Makes you wonder what they can do with a good safe tune. :shrug:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
every motors going to be different, hell theres some freak terminators holding crazy numbers and others that have blown not far from stock...a lot of its tune,driving and maintenance, some of its luck of the draw

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
every motors going to be different, hell theres some freak terminators holding crazy numbers and others that have blown not far from stock...a lot of its tune,driving and maintenance, some of its luck of the draw

I am a proud owner of a Mach freak just based on my torque numbers and what it produced on such low timing. I remember the day Rick tuned my car and after the first pull he was shaking his head and called me over to the dyno. He said man this thing is a pretty stout!!!! Made me feel like a proud Father!!!! :banana:

04JUIC

ZY Vert
Established Member
Same boat here lol..I can never find a kit specifically for a Mach either. Maybe we can get a discount if everyone looking buys at the same time from a vendor lol

ps: OrangeMach23 you can be more proud, your cars my desktop at work lol..

Last edited:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
Same boat here lol..I can never find a kit specifically for a Mach either. Maybe we can get a discount if everyone looking buys at the same time from a vendor lol

ps: OrangeMach23 you can be more proud, your cars my desktop at work lol..

hahaha thanks man!

phillipmach1

Established Member
My 04 mach 1 made 569 rwhp with the factory bottom end and a vortech supercharger with the aftercooler doing 12.7 psi of boost, i drove the car for two weeks with no problems before i decide to build the engine.

Last edited:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
My 04 mach 1 made 569 rwhp with the factory bottom end and a vortech supercharger with the aftercooler doing 12.7 psi of boost, i drove the car for two weeks with no problems before i decide to build the engine.

That's crazy RWHP on the stock bottom end but that was probably a great idea to go ahead and build the motor.

clc44

Established Member

You "drove" the car but didn't "beat" on it :beer:

Now upgrade the blower and put down 700+ RWHP :rockon:

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I'm considering a low boost eaton swap on a car that gets used for HPDE weekends. Thoughts?

Go for it. Stock 8psi pulley with full bolt ons will make 450 range. I'm happy with mine. Did go to a 10psi pulley tho. I have had the swap for over 2 yrs and 10,000 + miles.

Users who are viewing this thread