supercharging the mach..

mach1girl6

KCCO
Established Member
I want to supercharge my Mach, but before I do, I need to know who all has done it, and what kits you went with. Either a supercharger or a turbo, i'm up for ideas.

I've looked into a vortech, and i've also looked into the eaton. I want to keep my shaker hood too, because we all know thats what makes the mach distinct.

How much did you all spend? and what set ups did you go with?

glittle75

Established Member
i got a KB 2.1 at 9lbs. I love it, still have the shaker as well. 497rwhp on the stock longblock, safe A/F and all. all together, kit, tune, BAP, and little odds/ends, about 6k total. Thats with no labor costs though, dunno if you plan on doing the install yourself, but it will save you thousands on labor.
053.jpg

054.jpg

Love the instant torque, went with the TS over a centri or turbo b/c its a street car, more useable power. And it pulls hard all they way to redline!

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
I had a Procharger and it cost me around $5000 with supporting mods. I then installed a 2.2 Kenne Bell and it cost me about $6000 in supporting mods. And finally I installed a 2.3 Whipple and that cost me about $20,000 in supporting mods.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I want to supercharge my Mach, but before I do, I need to know who all has done it, and what kits you went with. Either a supercharger or a turbo, i'm up for ideas.

I've looked into a vortech, and i've also looked into the eaton. I want to keep my shaker hood too, because we all know thats what makes the mach distinct.

How much did you all spend? and what set ups did you go with?

You want to do it right, look at the sticky of SpeedOfSounds Mach1 build at the top of this page / end thread:rockon:

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Since you're a college student I am sure you are looking for "bang for the buck". I would recommend the new on3 front facing header turbo kit. Its much cheaper than a supercharger install and gives crazy power. I love my blower, but my brother's on3 kit made his car move out. It will require you to get a tubular k-member, but better for weight reduction anyway. I would also get rid of the 4.10s if you go turbo.

I'm not dissing superchargers in any way, I love mine, but on a budget, the on3 kit is unbeatable. 480rwhp for less than $3k

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
You want to do it right, look at the sticky of SpeedOfSounds Mach1 build at the top of this page / end thread:rockon:

:lol1: Beat me to it.

On a budget and with a stock short block, I'd say a D1 with a dinner plate for a pulley or a single turbo.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Eaton swap here. Have about 2000 for just the swap then tune. I would stay with a SC if its your DD. Turbo cars seem to have a few more problems then a sc car. Cant say to much but im thinkin about goin turbo lol :shrug:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Kenne Bell stopped making the 2.1 kit for mach's.....

And while a twin screw would be sweet they are WAY more expensive than a centri. Last time I was looking when they still offered the KB 2.1 they were over 6k and that was before install and tuning.

You can get a D1 intercooled, installed and tuned for less than the KB kit by itself.- I'd look at getting a used one. Unless you want a challenge and try to assemble a "kit" from a Terminator. But that swap is pretty detailed- something like 90+ parts differences in the engine bay alone + you need new fuel pumps, or a BAP. + tune etc etc..... cheapest/easiest is still centri.

IMO as long as you are still a college student- unless you have access to some major coin - stick with bolt ons. Once you get a real job then build it right. IE- forged bottom end, F1, F2, TT, etc etc etc

* looking at your current mods list I'd add the following - JLT RAI, Get a good AF kit, upgrade your clutch (I like Spec3- you can pound on it ALL day) , (personally I'd lose the pace setters for some other LT's but that's a matter of personal preference) get some coil overs, upgrade your axles 31 spline+, upgrade your syncros from the plastic ones, get an MGW ST, FLSFC's. rear diff cover, drilled slotted rotors and some decent brake pads- I got my whole break kit from HorsepowerFreaks for less than 400$.....

You can do all of these one project at a time when you have the time and money. THEN when you get that killer job your car is already setup for FI- all you have to do is throw it on and your car can handle it all day long.

Just a thought:beer:

Last edited:

mach1girl6

KCCO
Established Member
The only reason I went with pacesetters is because I was anxious, wanted some longtubes, and they were the cheapest, so far i'm pretty pleased with them.

Whats the cheapest SC kit for a mach?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The only reason I went with pacesetters is because I was anxious, wanted some longtubes, and they were the cheapest, so far i'm pretty pleased with them.

New or used?

Used I'd look on the Mach1 registry. I've seen some pretty good kits there for not much $. Just make sure the kit is 100% complete and they send you a detailed list with pics before you buy ANY used "kit"- I found that out the hard way. Also if you buy a used kit make certain (if you can't pick it up in person) that it's packed well and not just a bunch of parts thrown in a cardboard box and duct taped. Again- ask me how I know this!! LOL

New, depending on what you go with I'd say 4-4400. Get one with an AFTERCOOLER. It's well worth the investment. Much better for your motor too. If you plan on going over 450 rwhp make sure you get a meth/alchy kit to be on the safe side. Also get it DYNO TUNED. If you have a local tuner ask what software they use (SCT/Predator etc etc.) do NOT get a chip- get a hand held tuner. I had an SCT livewire and LOVED it- (but predator makes great products too.) Great piece of gear and VERY easy to use. Make sure your car isn't already chipped- if it is the hand held will fry your ECU- ask me how I know this!!

I'd also look into some of the vendors on this site and see if you can get a member discount.

I've bought 2 kits from these guys- GREAT customer service and they will work with you- see if you can get a student discount- or if you have a family member who is military they offer a military discount. (or if you are ROTC or something)
SuperchargersOnline.com :: Product: Vortech Supercharger TUNER Kit with Aftercooler for 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 (V-2 SQ Si-Trim, satin)

Couple of examples from the registry.
[ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116271]fs procharger kit mach 1 used p1sc - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

[ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117864]Procharger D1sc W/ upgraded Intercooler - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

ATI ProCharger Bullitt Mach 1 Supercharger Kits for your Ford Mustang from HorsepowerFreaks

Personally I'm a bit biased towards ProChargers. Just my preference. Not saying Vortech is bad- they make great products and have a great reputation. Many people have made good power with them.

scotmach

Established Member

Procharger. Cheapest and probably the easiest to install with few if any headaches. You could opt for the P1 or step up the D1 if you plan on building the motor someday.

SirKing

Established Member
Find yourself a used procharger kit. Their always popping up on mach1registry.

I bought mine(P1SC kit) a few months ago for $2100. Then I went out and bought cobra tank/pumps and 39lb injectors for roughly 600. Mafia (so that I could use the stock maf) 100. Tune was another 300 and roughly another 300 for gauges and other misc. crap. Some friends and I installed the kit which was fairly easy.

2100+600+100+300+300= $3400 Total.

Car put down 440whp 409tq on a pretty convservative tune. It could use a bap and a maf upgrade.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have probably upgraded the p1sc to a d1sc.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

clc44

Established Member
I've been tossing around whether or not to install cams or go with a used blower. I'd try and find a Novi, Vortech or Procharger.

I'm most likely will go with the cams and build the motor. I want a stout N/A Mach 1 with a steep gear. To each their own, best of luck! I'd look for used though, it'll save you a lot of money which can go into other parts.

2001cobravert

Established Member
Just installed a procharger p1sc on my 01 cobra last weekend.

Wasn't too bad. No oil lines to run. :rockon:

I found the complete kit here on svtp for under 2 grand, used of course.

Last edited:

nekasrof

Established Member
Don't plan on over 450rwhp on the stock motor.

You'll need the following:
Maf(MACH only good for approx 340rwhp)
Fuel pump upgrades(if they don't come with it)
Clutch & flywheel
31 spline axles and diff
Guages (boost, oil press, water temp, Wideband...at a minimum)

If you go with Procharger, the P1/D1 are the same case. You can do the P1 for now and upgrade to the D1 by sending it to Procharger and they'll install the D1 impeller.

You may need an alternator upgrade. Keep an eye on the voltage in the data log. If it's dropping below 13v, that's not a good thing regarding fuel. A BAP is ok, but it's just another piece in the puzzle that COULD break. There are other options here.

You'll need a larger amount of money for fuel and tires. You WILL use more and the reasons are obvious.

Tune. You'll need to find a tuner that will explain what he's doing no matter what your question. If you get an attitude, get another tuner! This will be the most important part for longevity of the motor.

The wideband is going to be your most important gauge and you'll be watching it the most.

Depending upon your driving, you may need a larger intercooler.

Tranny - the 3650 is a tough tranny but sooner or later you'll need it rebuilt. You will know because you will start missing 3rd gear or will be getting that lock-out.

Install.....who is going to do it? If you are capable, you will save a lot of money.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
Don't plan on over 450rwhp on the stock motor.

You'll need the following:
Maf(MACH only good for approx 340rwhp)
Fuel pump upgrades(if they don't come with it)
Clutch & flywheel
31 spline axles and diff
Guages (boost, oil press, water temp, Wideband...at a minimum)

If you go with Procharger, the P1/D1 are the same case. You can do the P1 for now and upgrade to the D1 by sending it to Procharger and they'll install the D1 impeller.

You may need an alternator upgrade. Keep an eye on the voltage in the data log. If it's dropping below 13v, that's not a good thing regarding fuel. A BAP is ok, but it's just another piece in the puzzle that COULD break. There are other options here.

You'll need a larger amount of money for fuel and tires. You WILL use more and the reasons are obvious.

Tune. You'll need to find a tuner that will explain what he's doing no matter what your question. If you get an attitude, get another tuner! This will be the most important part for longevity of the motor.

The wideband is going to be your most important gauge and you'll be watching it the most.

Depending upon your driving, you may need a larger intercooler.

Tranny - the 3650 is a tough tranny but sooner or later you'll need it rebuilt. You will know because you will start missing 3rd gear or will be getting that lock-out.

Install.....who is going to do it? If you are capable, you will save a lot of money.

Very well written but you can debate the "do not go over 450 rwhp". I have been running at 461rwhp/462rwtq for over 50k now and the car still drives and runs like the day I installed my kit. I am running a P1SC-2 with, 3.4 pulley @ 12 degrees of timing. It was tuned by Rick @ Amazon Tuning and the car has been perfect. I won't argue that the car can be a time bomb waiting to explode above 450 rwhp but like anything else it comes down to driving habits and your tune!!!! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread