Supercharging the 01, Safe?

sssSnake 01

Established Member
I have cocerns after reading what ford said about the disasterous results of supercharging the 01 Cobra aluminum block engine. Motor Trend said in the article describing the 03 Cobra that the results of supercharging the aluminum block was "disastrous".

Is there a lesson here? I was planning to supercharge my 01 after the warranty is up, will this be a mistake?

Does anyone have any real insight on this?

Is a centrifugal blower less risky than a roots style? Almost all of the Saleen, Roush, and now SVT seem to prefer the Eaton style blower. Why is this???

Bottom line....is it risky to install a supercharger on the aluminum 01' 4V DOHC 4.6?

kwiksnake

Established Member
I wouldn't see why the 2001 would be any different than any other year modular Cobra since they all have the same block. I think SVT really went to the iron block to keep the cost down and to insure themsleves since they have to warranty it. The modular engines are lacking in cubic inches and therefore torque. A roots style s/c gives more tq than a centrifugal s/c does. Plus it has a lot fewer parts to install since it replaces the intake and has a self contained oiling system. They are cheaper as well. I think as lond as you keep boost to a moderate level (10 psi and under intercooled, 8 psi non-intercooled) you shouldn't have a problem with an otherwise stock engine. The problem we have with ours when supercharging is the rods and pistons, they are kinda cheap.

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I think Ford is doing what ever they feel would be best as a supercharged block. They need to build something that can last. If you think about it. they have what ever they need to build, say, do, to get the job done. I'm sure the iron block is the better choice, plus with the internal upgrade of rods and pistons is welcomed.

I've been driving my 99 Supercharged Cobra since June of 2000. I've taken very good care of it and have taken it to the track many times without any failures. From what I understand 400rwhp is not unreasonable and is fairly safe. Safe Tuning is an important key in longevity, plus not beating the ohh mighty god out of it.

Ive talked to track racers before and have been told they have put over 30k on there supercharger without a problem. But, I also heard and seen horor stories.

I recommend talking to owners who have a superchargers on there stang and ask all the questions. The likes and dislikes.

One mod I think you should concider is gears. Amazing what a set of 410's would do to your car. Plus all your worries would be a non issue

For me, I love the supercharger. To give Vipers fender all the way down the staightaway and Corvettes a smack down at the track, makes it all worth it.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Most car manufactures are using the roots style blower for its reliability. The roots style also provides A LOT of low end torque.
I have a eaton m90 roots style blower on my Saleen and I love it. Check out my dyno graph...
dyno_sheet.jpg

I have 350ft/lbs at 2000 rpm. It stays flat to 4000 rpms and dips off a little.

The lightning has an eaton m110, the cobra have a gen 4 eaton, the roushes and saleens use the m90. I'm sure its not by chance ford is using them in their cars with warranties.

dmark101

dmark101
Established Member
very good information and very useful to the person who wants this project as a DIY.

i've been talking to some people about this very issue and all have echoed what this article says: proper tuning and fuel are the key issues.

plus, i have a friend with a 98 cobra, running a paxton novi, who blew out his engine not that long ago. i haven't spoken to him in a while, but i'm sure it was from having the car with a very high boost level and still using pump gas.

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey all
ok i was looking into a blower as well for my 01, but i looked around, and i talked to a shop located down south in california that installed a procharger blower on a 01. they said that the 01 cant handle more than 7-8psi of boost, or youll fry the pistons. so for about $5000, youll be getting about 100hp they say, and thats not including installation charges if your paying someone to install the blower. fortunatly in my mustang club, we have a few friends of a friend that work for ATI procharger and Vortech and they get blowers at cost. so, i wouldnt mind spending about $1500 for the kit, and putting only 5-6psi of boost on it. safe amount that wont kill my motor. but other than that, if you want some good HP for a cheap price.....get NOS. i am gonna get that probably over the blower. get the stage 1 nos kit from holley, 75-125 shot. only about $900 for the kit. thats my $0.02.
:thumbsup:

-marek

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The '03 Cobra uses the same Eaton M-112 (and 90mm MAF, btw), from the Lightning, but the intake is in the back of the blower, which is more efficient than the L's front breathing design.

"The Cobra blower is also stalled differently to compensate for the manual transmission and engine power band" - July 02 MM&FF

Either way the stock cylinder heads flow incredibly well, even without after-factory polishing. These motors were made for boost. Centrifugal will give you a 00R-like rush on the top end (and will be ultimately faster than a roots), the Roots will give you the low end torque of a pushrod, but you'll still pull hard on top...

Mach0ne351

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
The '03 Cobra uses the same Eaton M-112 (and 90mm MAF, btw), from the Lightning, but the intake is in the back of the blower, which is more efficient than the L's front breathing design.

"The Cobra blower is also stalled differently to compensate for the manual transmission and engine power band" - July 02 MM&FF

Either way the stock cylinder heads flow incredibly well, even without after-factory polishing. These motors were made for boost. Centrifugal will give you a 00R-like rush on the top end (and will be ultimately faster than a roots), the Roots will give you the low end torque of a pushrod, but you'll still pull hard on top...

I would have to totally agree. Roots Supercharging it way better than Eaton Supercharging. i would have to say about an extra 40-60HP difference.

-marek

Last edited:

supersp0rt

Established Member
anytime you put forced induction on a vehicle its not 100% safe. any engine by any auto maker can have problems with any kind of FI. as long as you get it installed correctly and have it tuned correctly as well, thats going to be as "safe" as you will be. dont get me wrong, im not trying to scare you away from it because i would go for it myself. the chances of something happening are very remote if it is set up correctly.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
The main difference is that the '03 motor was DESIGNED specifically for a supercharged application. Iron block, forged internals, lower compression ratio, etc. Many have successfully supercharged '96-01 4.6 DOHCs. Many others have experienced engine failures due to it. More than about 6-8 p.s.i, on the stock hypereutetic pistons and you're asking for trouble. A good dyno tune is also key...

Jeostang

Banned
Mine is supercharged, Nothing is 100% safe. My A/F is 11.3 which is pretty rich. I've hit the rev limiter a few times and did not get any pinging. Plugs show a rich condition. Its getting another tune soon, get some more ponys out of it.

pichon244

Banned
NEED NOT WORRY

The danger in supercharging a 2001 Cobra---is simply having a guy tune your chip who does not know how much boost they should add! Vortech superchargers have the best technology. They even provide a chip----which runs a conservative program-----and is 100% safe on the Cobra! If you push any engine to its limit with a supercharger-----you are going to have disastrous results------SUpercharging is safe-------as long as you have someone who knows how to program the cars computer chip!!!

SVTNICK

Established Member
dont go over 6-8 pounds of boost and your all good. There are guys on these boards who have blown stangs and have put 40000 miles on it no problem. Just dont go crazy and know when to say no when it comes to too much boost. Stock block can take close to 450 HPplus..over that and your pushing it...if u like the aluminum block, after a period of time ..rebuild it..buy the manley forged internals..maybe lower the compression a bit..and go for it...just have fun.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
let see that again. Instent replay please

Dear Jeostang, WOW! Tell use more, picture it ya got'em. How many miles with the blower, and before? I like your rear wheel numbers, I'd be very happy with those #'s safely. :eek:

pichon244

Banned
The only reason Ford is starting to . . .

supercharge the Cobra's now-----is because in December 2001, Eaton had signed on with Chevy to supposedly start slapping on a low powered supercharger for the next 4 years worth of Corvettes.

SVTNICK

Established Member
eehhh...no dude..where do u get your info. pg 64 of the new issue of road and track....and magnuson..who makes the eaton superchargers makes em for pontiac ford and whatever other mfg that wants a roots type blower. One thing is for sure..there is no SC on future vettes.

Users who are viewing this thread