Supercharger

voyager7

SVT *****
Established Member
My son has a 1999 Cobra and he wants to add a CAI now and add a supercharger in about a year.
What have you guys found to be the best ones to use?
Please give both pros and cons.
His car has 17K miles.

Thanks in advance,
V7

01yellercobra

Established Member
I agree with blackvenom. Open up the exhaust to get ready for the blower. Any idea what blower he's planning on going with?

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

2001cobravert

Established Member
Jlt is my favorite. But as the previous guys mentioned, can't run both unless its an Eaton or kenne bell.

What mods are on the car now?

Last edited:

2K1 SVT

Established Member
The easiest route with supercharging would be to go with a Centri, an Eaton swap takes a lot more work. As others have said it's best to open up the exhaust first as they are very restrictive from the factory.

voyager7

SVT *****
Established Member
The car is bone stock.
He plans on doing the exhaust first.
He likes the sound of the flowmasters.
What size pipe should he be looking at if he is going to sc it later on.?

I think he is looking at a Kenny Bell.

Last edited:

pbeechner

Established Member
I've got the Flowmasters and I don't really like the sound, but its a matter of personal opinion. He should also consider a midpipe and longtube headers to really open up the exhaust closer to the engine. Stock headers are pretty bad. If you are asking about midpipe/catback exhaust diameter, I would say go for the 3" diameter with a boosted engine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
2.5" will be fine for exhaust. I was close to 600rwhp with 2.5" pipe. The KB is a good set up. But just make sure he realizes that he can't upgrade the blower. The only way to do that is to do the Eaton swap. How mechanically inclined are you two?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
2.5 or 3 inch....I think 2.5 inch is best....I would do a full exhaust headers, midpipe and IRS mufflers..

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
The car is bone stock.

Kenne Bell is overpriced for what you get. Eaton swap would be much more cost effective and allow for different blowers including Kenne Bell models. I wouldn't run flowmasters if you want performance gains. They will make a lot of noise, but thats about it. Borla, Dynomax or Magnaflow are more performance oriented and are good quality.

2.5" exhaust should be fine unless you really want to make some big numbers. Most blower guys make 600 rwhp on 2.5" exhaust.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
The car is bone stock.

Chambered mufflers on a modular motor is the biggest mistake you could ever make imo.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Chambered mufflers on a modular motor is the biggest mistake you could ever make imo.

I'd have to disagree. While I'm not a fan of Flowmasters, I really liked my Macs with the catted X. It sounded good and I got a lot of comments on it.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
My son has a 1999 Cobra and he wants to add a CAI now and add a supercharger in about a year.
What have you guys found to be the best ones to use?
Please give both pros and cons.
His car has 17K miles.

Thanks in advance,
V7

BTW, just wanted to say, wish my dad was as cool as you haha. I'm 22, in the military, and he still screams at me to leave my cars stock and that I'm an idiot for modifying them.

On the topic of the blower...Procharger F1a at about 14 psi should hold just about anything off. My favorite sounding cobra with a similar set up on a F1a
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJY_NdnRFvY"]f1 procharged cobra - YouTube[/nomedia]

Brutal Metal

Established Member
BTW, just wanted to say, wish my dad was as cool as you haha. I'm 22, in the military, and he still screams at me to leave my cars stock and that I'm an idiot for modifying them.

On the topic of the blower...Procharger F1a at about 14 psi should hold just about anything off. My favorite sounding cobra with a similar set up on a F1a
f1 procharged cobra - YouTube

An F1A at 14 psi will grenade that stock shortblock into many pieces, I didn't hear the OP saying he was gonna build his sons motor for that boost level:shrug:

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Things all go Boom even built motors, it's all in the tune...to an extent. Best advice for anyone looking to supercharge is to plan a motor build.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread