Supercharger whine, without a supercharger.. uhh..

MAXX RS4

Established Member
lone sailor said:
There is normally an interference adapter that you plug in between the stereo outlet and the plug. I'm not sure how the cheap headunits do their's though.

I already have one of those things installed. What's this ignition part that was mentioned?

Smokeurhonda

Established Member
Can't remeber the name. But it's a STOCK part that should be located under the hood somewhere near the ignition.

LT1KILLER

dirt man
Established Member
I had the same problem once when running an amp, had to get a noise filter and install it took care of the problem and they aren't that expensive.

bp03svt

Established Member
MAXX RS4 said:
Now, you're saying the alternator is making the noise or it's causing the noise through my speakers?

Go ask any stereo shop about it or call Crutchfield and ask them. It happens when a stereo component recieves interference from anther electrical component. It can come through rca cables, from a head unit, or amp.

I have seen it a few times and I'm trying to help you out. One that sticks out in my mind is the guy that had some kind of cheap ass equilizer in his truck that was picking up alternator noise. It did the same thing as you described. You could hear a supercharger-like whine come through his speakers when he had his stereo on. The noise would increase as rpm's increased. You could rev it up and the whine would raise and lower with the rpm's.

You need to try to rewire your system and see if that solves your problem.

EDIT: I'm saying that your head unit (CD player) is letting the interference come through into your speakers, not that your alt is making noise itself. If it was the alt making the noise, you'd be able to hear it better when you raised your hood and it wouldn't be coming through your speakers at all---all the noise would be coming from under the hood. Hope this helps bro. :beer:

Last edited:

bp03svt

Established Member
MAXX RS4 said:
I is in fact coming from my speakers. Would this be some kind of enterferance from my ignition wires or something? Anyone ever heard of this?

That is what made me think about the alternator whine, since you said it is coming through your speakers. It could also be your ignition causing the interference.

casey99COBRA

Just a rookie!
Established Member
I had this is the 99 cobra after installing an aftermarket stereo. Do you have the mach 460 system? I had an adapter that i got for the aftermarket headunit to connect all the amplifiers and speakers so i didn't have to rewire everything. On the adapter were some dials and i just simply had them turned up too high. Pulled the head unit, turned the dials down, and it went away.

MAXX RS4

Established Member
casey99COBRA said:
I had this is the 99 cobra after installing an aftermarket stereo. Do you have the mach 460 system? I had an adapter that i got for the aftermarket headunit to connect all the amplifiers and speakers so i didn't have to rewire everything. On the adapter were some dials and i just simply had them turned up too high. Pulled the head unit, turned the dials down, and it went away.

Yea, I have the mach460. I also have a "interferance adapter" from crutchfield that reconnects everything too, but there's no dials on it. I havn't had the time at all to tear anything out because of school and work and such, but this weekend I'm going to go through every wire in my car..

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This thread is getting long! Did we already illiminate the intake?(CAI, throttle body, plenum) Is it an air noise or a electrical whine? Is it when your rev your engine, certain rpms, hear it through your speakers?-Shane

MAXX RS4

Established Member
It is coming from the speakers. There's nothing else physically making the noise. It gets higher pitched as the rpm's go up.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Augh, bet you have a custom radio also. Seen several replys for this solution. You can try regrounding the ground wire off the radio. Make sure all paint is removed. One of the little cheap boxes might kill the noise. If all else fails call a radio shop and ask them since they are usually the stereo experts-Shane

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread