Supercharger whine, without a supercharger.. uhh..

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Recently I've developed a sound that mimicks the sound of a supercharger's whine, only not nearly as loud. As the RPMs increase, it gets higher-pitched and louder. It's heard clearly inside the car, but when I pop the hood, I can barely hear it because the rest of the engine noise muffles it too much for it to be located. It seems like it's coming from somewhere around the firewall end..
It does it in neutral, park, and drive.. '96 auto gt

Any ideas as to what it could be?

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
check ur tail pipe for a whistler.. them damn ricers put them there to freak people out.. hehe jk. Im no help here so ill leave =) but heres my noob advise which i have no idea about cars. Check for a air leak in one of your thingies...maybe some tube thingie came aloose :/ ok im gone

also ask over @ corral.net if you havent1

MAXX RS4

Established Member
Nothing has been changed in my car to make a new sound, it just developed.

I have the stock air intake as well. And yes, it's an auto.

MAXX RS4

Established Member
I is in fact coming from my speakers. Would this be some kind of enterferance from my ignition wires or something? Anyone ever heard of this?

MAXX RS4

Established Member
So noone knows what could be causing this interferance through my speakers as my engine revs up?

Is it possible that my ignition wires have poor insulation and are throwing out some bad frequencies?

I have no idea what to do and it's killing me..

NA97GT

Established Member
MAXX RS4 said:
I is in fact coming from my speakers. Would this be some kind of enterferance from my ignition wires or something? Anyone ever heard of this?
do you have an aftermarket stereo in the car? If so then it is most likely ground loop noise.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Has the noise came since the radio was installed? You can take the head unit out and check your ground wire. Not the huge black ground that plugs in but the little black speaker size wire. Use a little dremel and free all paint from the area the ground wire is attached. You can even split the wire and ground it in a few places to ensure its metal to metal-Shane

MAXX RS4

Established Member
I've had it in there for about 2 months now, but the sound started about 2 weeks ago.. Sometimes it's really loud, sometimes it's barely noticable, and sometimes it's not even there..

I'm gonna go tear out my unit and check everything and all that..

Smokeurhonda

Established Member
If you say it's coming from the speakers and is rpm dependant then yes it is your ignition. There is a part that is ment to reduce the ignition interference but i can't remeber the name of it. Check for that. If it's not there replace plugs and wires.

lone sailor

Established Member
There is normally an interference adapter that you plug in between the stereo outlet and the plug. I'm not sure how the cheap headunits do their's though.

Users who are viewing this thread