Supercharger tensioner and belt question

Palacios289

Established Member
D1975A9C-BC78-4358-B48B-059E7733B10E.jpeg
I recently dyno my cobra. I have an stock Eaton with 2.76 pulley and 100MM idler. On the dyno I only hit 11.80 PSI. I was under impression the 2.76 should hit 14 or so. Weather was 70 degrees so good conditions for good boost.

I inspected my belt and tensioner. See the tensioner below. It seems the tensioner is way past the groove mark towards loose. Is this a weak tensioner or sloppy belt or both? I have the Gates 74.5 which seems to be the right length with my set up. Thanks for any insight.

Palacios289

Established Member
Bdubbs I am not sure this reading was from the Dyno boost line hookup. I’m sure it was hooked up correctly as GTR is mustang shop.

I’m going to order a belt. It can’t hurt replacing. The belt on currently is at least three years old

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What is your exact pulley/idler setup? I want to double-check your belt size.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Maybe I'm looking at things backwards, but isn't that full tight? The stop to the left is for when there's no belt tension? Was the boost consistent or did it start higher and drop off?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Given that the boost didn't drop off I think your belt is fine. If the tensioner is at max travel I'd say it's too tight IMO. Try a different boost gauge. See what it says.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Ya that boost graph looks pretty solid, not sure there's a lot of slip there. The peak number might just be off on that measuring device.

What I'd be concerned with seeing the A/F ratio....it was on quite a pull until 5500. Might be off upper rpm and tune needs a tweak and/or you're having a fuel delivery issue

Palacios289

Established Member
Ya that boost graph looks pretty solid, not sure there's a lot of slip there. The peak number might just be off on that measuring device.

What I'd be concerned with seeing the A/F ratio....it was on quite a pull until 5500. Might be off upper rpm and tune needs a tweak and/or you're having a fuel delivery issue

C6hombre, they didn't measure air/fuel, My air fuel monitor will show 10.5 or so at WOT. FPDC will max out at 0.92 on my SCT. I do have a BAP i've been meaning at install.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Belt slip has less to do with tension and more to do with overall belt wrap on the pullies. Your belt is too tight, good way to kill bearings

01yellercobra

Established Member
C6hombre, they didn't measure air/fuel, My air fuel monitor will show 10.5 or so at WOT. FPDC will max out at 0.92 on my SCT. I do have a BAP i've been meaning at install.

That's really rich. I aim for 11.5 at WOT.

Is too tight on belt the same as too loose when it comes to belt slip? Thanks.

No. Too tight kills mains bearings as mentioned. You'd be better off getting a properly fitting belt.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Could be the blower is maxed out, as in worn and not capable of making new blower boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palacios289

Established Member
F5CF1236-15A5-4DC0-91BF-3ACE37A77F17.jpeg

Success! Swapped out tensioner and belt to the one recommend above. I noticed the new tensioner has at 3 times the spring tension of the original one. No weird noises going on. I’ll wait until this weekend to really crank her down.

As to my air fuel ratios, my Cobra was dyno tuned by previous owner at AED in Northern California. They are notorious for very safe and sane tunes especially with the junk tree hugger gasoline we have her in California. Is it worth it too retune? I plan to go VMP or whipple by end of year. Thanks again for any feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread