Supercharger or Cams???

SVT Chic

Established Member
Trying to make a decision on my next BIG mod....meaning the most damn money! Looking into either a pro-charger or cams for the 01. Knowing that there is a big difference in power and cost what have your experiences been with these mods? As far as future problems, install costs, etc.

Any info would help!
~Cheryl;-)

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Depends what you want to do with the car. A s/c is nice on the street and especially the highway. For the track, I'd be more inclined to stay n/a and do the cams - you'd probably get more bang for your buck in terms of ET difference.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
uh, say what?

cams will give you like 25rwhp and move your powerband up. I hope you have low gears.

the blower will add about 100rwhp and give you more power from 3000rpm up.

id say the blower would offer the larger performance gain.

however, the blower is a lot more expensive.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by quadcammer
however, the blower is a lot more expensive.

I've concidered this same choice in the past, and not looking at dynographs, just track times, I've seen n/a bolton cobras get into the low 12s, and I've seen s/c cobras get into the low 12s (this is at moderate boost levels, ~420-430 rwhp - with higher boost and forged interals it'll be no contest). A car with a s/c will trap higher, no doubt about it, but for some reason, I haven't seen a s/c give too much of an advantage over bolton n/a at the track in terms of ET. This is why I said you would probably see an E.T. improvement to dollar ratio that was equal to, or possibly slightly better then that of a supercharger.

Last edited:

SVT Chic

Established Member
As far as gears they are still stock. I'm totally aware of the estimated hp gain from cams alone, so hearing it's 25 is no shock. I'm just thinking about how it would affect me as a weekend car, but without spending tooooo much money. I notice most new edger's not going with cams and going straight for the blower. I'd like to try something different and see how far and fast I could go n/a, then last get the s/c when I've shown myself how well I did n/a.

I've contacted several pro-charger vendors and seems like the 01 cobra's have been having serious seal problems. I'll just have to think about it, I just wanted some feedback from other's that may have had the same debate or have these mods.

~Cheryl

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
serious seal issues? with the blower or the engine. i have not heard a single thing about the headgaskets or any other blowing.

also, keep in mind that max performance NA cams may not be good for a blower.

imho, you can't take a max performance NA motor and add a blower.

if you are gonna do cams, get blower cams so you can actually experience the big gains later.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
I am soon to go with a blower system, what kinds of power and times might I expect with a safe 8 psi tune on stock internals, Other mods will be Suspention mods, Flowmaster Cat back bassini catted x, maybe headers, and the 8psi vortech, tuned of course.

StrokedSBF

Established Member
SHM saw pretty good gains with its cams + full exhaust. they dyno'd a Mach. Saw 340hp at the wheels its on their main page.

SVT Chic

Established Member
Originally posted by StrokedSBF
SHM saw pretty good gains with its cams + full exhaust. they dyno'd a Mach. Saw 340hp at the wheels its on their main page.

I heard the sound clip of that car, sounds awesome. Based on speaking with several pro charger dealers and installation shops...it's looking like cams are the more affordable option for me. I'll do more research to see who can give me the more hp for the buck.:coolman:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT Chic
I heard the sound clip of that car, sounds awesome. Based on speaking with several pro charger dealers and installation shops...it's looking like cams are the more affordable option for me. I'll do more research to see who can give me the more hp for the buck.:coolman:

Be careful with that. Cams can really mess with your powerband. Some will give tons of power, but at 7500 or igher rpm. Some will give you lots of peak pwer, but you might loose some bottom end torque. Some are designed so that you get lots of bottom end, but don't gain as much top end (like SHMs roadrace cams). Just make sure you are looking at more then just peak numbers. :beer:

rpalmer

What's the hurry?
Established Member
I'd go for the blower. Kenne-Bell if you want more of your grunt on the low end instead of a high end scream.

Dunno the price differential, probably two or three grand, but I imagine the blower will get you 2-3 times the power gain of cams.

-RP

SVT Chic

Established Member
Originally posted by rpalmer
I'd go for the blower. Kenne-Bell if you want more of your grunt on the low end instead of a high end scream.

Dunno the price differential, probably two or three grand, but I imagine the blower will get you 2-3 times the power gain of cams.

-RP

I'm not a fan of the roots style blowers, after having one in my lightning. The gain of a blower opposed to cams is a great difference i know, but along with that is the huge price tag! Cam kits are over 50% less...they better be with only a 1/4 of the gain expected, but then there is a feeling of accomplishment when getting awesome times knowing your n/a. Sure I could take the easier road and toss on the s/c but I'm leaning to the road less traveled. :coolman:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT Chic
I'm not a fan of the roots style blowers, after having one in my lightning. The gain of a blower opposed to cams is a great difference i know, but along with that is the huge price tag! Cam kits are over 50% less...they better be with only a 1/4 of the gain expected, but then there is a feeling of accomplishment when getting awesome times knowing your n/a. Sure I could take the easier road and toss on the s/c but I'm leaning to the road less traveled. :coolman:

The road less travelled is also the one with less power (a lot less in this case). Ask yourself if you'll be happy with your choice in a year or if you'll be wanting more.

Quadcammer

Established Member
1 thing i think you aren't realizing is the price of the intsall.

cam installs will run you probably about 1000 bux.

they are not easy and if you are doing it yourself, you will need about 250 dollars worth of tools.

make sure the place you go to is reputable. timing the cams isn't hard, but without experience it can be screwed up.

in addition you will need a tune to accomdate for the differences in cams.

the idle will need to be adjusted, along with the fuel tables, timing advance, and other things.

it adds up.

thats why very few people do cams on 4vs.

Last edited:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Originally posted by lemosley01
The road less travelled is also the one with less power (a lot less in this case). Ask yourself if you'll be happy with your choice in a year or if you'll be wanting more.

Oddly enough, the road with less power doesn't necessarily mean your going any slower in the 1/4. I've seen far too many s/c cars that, for all the cash has been poured into them, are dogs at the track. A car with 450 rwhp that runs mid- to low-twelves isn't very impressive, but that seems to pretty common. That can easily be done with the right boltons and suspension mods n/a. With cams, all the boltons and the right suspension elements, I can easily see the n/a car hitting the traps sooner then the s/c car, possibly to the tune of high elevens.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
you will need a solid axle, short gears, and some damn serious driving(i.e. powershifting) before you are going 11s NA.

there are about 10 to 15 people that regularly go 11s in an NA cobra that i know about.

there are about 600 people in the high 11s with simple blown combos.

in addition the blown cars trap speed will be much higher, indicitive of the higher power numbers.

the blown car will feel faster, most likely be faster, and in some cases have better driveability.

i have both aftermarket cams and a blower, so i kind of have an idea of what its like.

Users who are viewing this thread