Super Rare 1994 Mustang PPG “Cobra” Indy Pace Car

Cobra Jet

Established Member
So although not a true SVT Cobra by birth VIN, this is a Mustang GT mocked Cobra. This is extremely rare.

It is the green PPG Mustang “Cobra” Indy Pace car, with all of its Pace Car equipment still with the vehicle. It was used to pace the Indy “CART” Series, it did not pace the Indy 500.

Here is the factual info about this green PPG Pace Car:

Here’s an older article about the (5) true PPG Mustang “Cobra” Pace Cars:

@tbenvie - Do you have any additional info to add about this particular PPG Pace Car? Was it one of the (5] PPG Indy Pace cars, or was it the “6th”? Everything I have heard or read about the original PPG Indy “Cobra” Pace Cars was that all (5) were red. This Green PPG Indy CART Pace car was red and painted green…. So any articles discussing the “5”, was this one of the “5 red” or not?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's an awesome unicorn. It's a really nice one-off. REALLY nice! With a very interesting and special history.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Rare for sure but 65K? Someone smoking crack. That kind of 1 off isn't valuable like that to 99% of the car enthusiast. Probably gonna have to be someone who raced or was involved with that circuit to buy it IMO.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Rare for sure but 65K? Someone smoking crack. That kind of 1 off isn't valuable like that to 99% of the car enthusiast. Probably gonna have to be someone who raced or was involved with that circuit to buy it IMO.

I concur. It may bring that kinda $$$ at a charity auction, but that's about it.
That car solidifies it for me, SN95s with those side exhausts side skirts just never look right.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Curious what the deal is with the bar running under the gas tank.

Interesting car. Color is neat, but I don't think I would have bought it if offered on the SN95.

That car solidifies it for me, SN95s with those side exhausts side skirts just never look right.

I've long thought this, nice to know I'm not the only one. The rarity of them is neat but I just can't get over how low they hang compared to the bottom of the rear bumper.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You're probably right, Barry. Special car for a special buyer at that price. Still pretty cool unicorn.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

You don't like the side exhaust on that car 98 svt? I do. I think with the stance and body lines it flows for me. Especially since the rear bumper doesn't have any cutouts or notches for exhaust pipes. Seems like that car was supposed to have side exhaust.

I owned a 98 that was similar to this car, but it was a coupe with a body kit. I elected to go with rear exhaust on that car because the bumper I went with had provisions for it, but I think side exhaust would have worked as well.

I get it thought, some designs don't jive with everyone.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You don't like the side exhaust on that car 98 svt? I do. I think with the stance and body lines it flows for me. Especially since the rear bumper doesn't have any cutouts or notches for exhaust pipes. Seems like that car was supposed to have side exhaust.

I owned a 98 that was similar to this car, but it was a coupe with a body kit. I elected to go with rear exhaust on that car because the bumper I went with had provisions for it, but I think side exhaust would have worked as well.

I get it thought, some designs don't jive with everyone.

I go the opposite direction. I run my 98 skirtless, and with foxbody LX tailpipes

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Paul, maybe this will change your mind a bit. ;) Ford's '94 Boss 10.0L concept. One of my favorite Mustangs all time.
boss-1994.jpg

1.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I tried. LOL. JK. In truth, not everyone is into side exhausts on the SN95. I remember the Super Stallion as well. One hell of a Mustang. (y)

amorrow

Established Member
Jeez, I wonder where that green pace car was stored…condition is terrible for such a low mileage car, even if used as a pace car. Left outside for extended period after the crash?

amorrow

Established Member
Love seeing those one-off ‘90s Mustangs from old magazine articles. Three Mustangs have always stood out from that era…those two and the Saleen widebody SR. Most extreme factory-built/supported SN95s in the day.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Love seeing those one-off ‘90s Mustangs from old magazine articles. Three Mustangs have always stood out from that era…those two and the Saleen widebody SR. Most extreme factory-built/supported SN95s in the day.

I wanted that car soooo bad back in the day. Those Saleen/Allen cars of the day were so eye catching also.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Paul, maybe this will change your mind a bit. ;) Ford's '94 Boss 10.0L concept. One of my favorite Mustangs all time.
boss-1994.jpg

1.jpg

I agree too, my all time favorite SN95 from the era. That BOSS is and has been a part of Jack Roush’s collection for many years. I have saved/collected many pics and articles about that car. Colletti will always be THE guy who not only brought us that killer SN95, but the guy who pushed forward and brought the Terminator to fruition. He is by far, one of my all time Fav Ford guys as well. If you have never read his book, get it, it’s worth it and you’ll learn a lot about the SVT program and what those guys went through to getting the Terminator to the people.

I’m not sure where the Superstallion ended up, haven’t heard or seen anything about it in many years. Is it in someone’s personal collection, a museum or was it scrapped?

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Curious what the deal is with the bar running under the gas tank.

Interesting car. Color is neat, but I don't think I would have bought it if offered on the SN95.

I've long thought this, nice to know I'm not the only one. The rarity of them is neat but I just can't get over how low they hang compared to the bottom of the rear bumper.

The bar running under the gas tank is a special crash bar added with all the other specific track equipment for that Pace Car.

—-
I’ll agree the color of the car is not a sought after color, but given that the car has its place in Mustang history AND the fact that it retains all of the track installed equipment today, years after it’s use is what makes it a unicorn and also is factored into the current asking price. The value of it and the remaining 4 (or 5) specific Indy Pace cars that were actual Indy Pace cars with similar equipment will continue to increase and at some point be unobtainable to the normal guy.

What I’d like to know is, since this car was originally red, was it one of the (5) reds or is it the (6th)? From what the linked articles state too is this may be the only Pace Car that was a 5 speed. I’m hoping our resident Pace Car Expert @tbenvie can add some info. :)

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I had an SVO side exhaust on my 95 Cobra and took it off. The exhaust itself was 2.25" which I didn't like. The other hassle was the side skirts were fiberglass, not urethane or anything flexible. The distance from fender opening to opening was different by over .5" on each side. The skirts were OK on one side but the other had to be stretched and it wasn't good on the fiberglass. The were also really low at the back side. But, they look really cool.

Tom

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Car is "down" to an ask of $56.4k

The detail in the listing....... "Kart series"?

EDIT, they actually did not get their dealership name correct in the description (listed as RG Auto Gallery vs GR)

I do like the car, as old school Champ Car CART series was very cool to me back in the day. Also interesting that the car has a boost gauge (radio location), but car looks to be NA currently? No reference to the engine package in the links about the car posted above, maybe changed after Cleveland crash?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread