suitable engine choices

ls1htr

Established Member
What other engines can be used in a 99 cobra? DOHC lincoln, mercury engines ...etc. looked through stickies but didn't find much.

Last edited:

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
depends what your looking for. you can make a 5.4l with c heads and a boss intake, you got the cobra r motor, fr500 motor, mach 1 motor, gt500, terminator. you can make anything fit with enuff money but if you looking for plug and play i would get a mach 1 motor and swap your intake cams into it. more power and better heads for about 3k.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
yes but the mark 8 engine has b heads instead of c heads, aviator engine transfer intake and timing cover. i would get aviator over mark 8 engine

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
An aviator long block is a great replacement engine. It's exactly the same thing as a Mach 1 or Marauder long block, but since it comes out of an SUV, it's usually priced lower than a "cobra motor".

You might find one with the intake and all sorts of other stuff included, but you only need the bare long block. If it does come with all that extra stuff, you can sell it to recoup your costs.

There are only 2 small things you need to change to make it fit.

Flywheel: Since it comes out of a vehicle that has an automatic trans, it has a 6 bolt crank instead of an 8 bolt crank. So, you'll need to find a 6 bolt, 11" flywheel.

Exhaust Manifolds: The 03/04 heads have a different shaped exhaust port. Your original manifolds will physically bolt up to the newer heads, but I'm not sure if it causes any sort of restriction. Some people will say you don't need new manifolds, some people will say you will. I decided to just get a set of stock exhaust manifolds from an 03 Cobra for $20 instead of using my 99 manifolds, just to make sure.

You'll want to use your original front cover and accessories instead of the aviator front cover. Im not sure what the differences are, if any.

You'll benefit from the later heads and cams. It'll make more bottom end power, but it might not pull as hard up top. Overall, it's a great choice for a street replacement.

If you plan on adding boost, I wouldn't recommend this motor unless you're broke and this is the only way you can get your car running again.

There are other ways to go about it... 5.4 swap, etc. etc. etc. But this is by far the cheapest option if you want to start with a clean slate.

ls1htr

Established Member
no boost or nos. thanks for the info, that is what i needed to know. when you put "cobra" in the same sentence as motor it seems that the cost triples.

shurur

Established Member
assuming you still have your 99 motor complete......to make the power you have now.

You want to keep your c-heads, cams, and entire intake....they should fit on any x-93 Mk 8/aviator, 03-04 maurader/mach 1, or earlier 96-98 cobra short block...if sticking to AL blocks

Mk 8 /aviator will be 6 bolt crank... I believe.... as opposed to 8 for the others...

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Last edited:

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
assuming you still have your 99 motor complete......to make the power you have now.

You want to keep your c-heads, cams, and entire intake....they should fit on any x-93 Mk 8/aviator, 03-04 maurader/mach 1, or earlier 96-98 cobra short block...if sticking to AL blocks

Mk 8 /aviator will be 6 bolt crank... I believe.... as opposed to 8 for the others...

The mark 8 and aviator engine are completely different. If he got the aviator engine he wouldn't need his c heads because the ones on the aviator are the same as the 03/04 cobra,mach 1

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
What other engines can be used in a 99 cobra? DOHC lincoln, mercury engines ...etc. looked through stickies but didn't find much.

Engines from Marauders, Mach 1's, Aviators will all bolt in. The Aviator engine, as stated above, requires some work and probably additional cost also before it will be in working order.

The Marauder, Aviator and Mach 1's with auto transmissions have cast cranks that take a 6 bolt flywheel. Your flywheel has 8 bolts so you'll need a new one with these engines.

Regarding the exhaust manifolds, yours will fit and not create and obstruction when installed on 03/04 heads without any modifications.

check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for engines

MattR92

Established Member
Engines from Marauders, Mach 1's, Aviators will all bolt in. The Aviator engine, as stated above, requires some work and probably additional cost also before it will be in working order.

The Marauder, Aviator and Mach 1's with auto transmissions have cast cranks that take a 6 bolt flywheel. Your flywheel has 8 bolts so you'll need a new one with these engines.

Regarding the exhaust manifolds, yours will fit and not create and obstruction when installed on 03/04 heads without any modifications.

check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for engines

If you use a Mark 8 bottom end, will a 01-04 gt flywheel work?

ls1htr

Established Member
also the original engine is still in the car. i bought it with a hydro-locked motor. i am going to toss the jlt water vac air intake and put the oem air box back on. it is a nice car and just going to make a stock driver out of it.

ls1htr

Established Member
also on a side note, i have pulled plenty of sohc motors out of the top. will the dohc motors come out the top or do you have to drop the k-member and go out the bottom?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread