Suggestions on TIG welders

dogmush

Established Member
I'll mention one other thing before the brand war really kicks off. I use a Synchrowave at work, and a Dynasty 200 at home. I've also used a couple different Lincoln Tig machines. Miller and Lincoln are pretty much the gold standard, but TIG welding is way way way way more dependent on the welder's skill then any other kind of welding. A top of the line machine will help, but you'll get better results with a middle of the road machine and 500 hours practice for the same cash as a top of the line rig. Make sure whatever machine you buy you leave room in your budget for a fair amount of practice before you hit your big project. Also check Craigslist and pawnshops for used machines. A good welder will last a long time, so often used ones are a good deal.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
I learned on a Miller Maxstar 152 DC Tig machine and upgraded to a Miller Dynasty 200SD AC/DC inverter machine. I love my Dynasty machine and consider it my favorite tool. It is compact and has plenty of power to handle most jobs outside of heavy industrial applications where greater than 200 amps may be needed. What is the price range you are looking for?

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
Miller dynasty 200.... I love that unit. You can use it on material 3/8 thick and its the size of a small suitcase

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
i have a Miller Diversion 165. Honestly, for the money, its a wonderful buy. Make sure you buy it with a foot pedal (comes with a hand control) It has plently of potential, and honestly the only thing you cant do is REALLY thin aluminum....

Make sure if you choose something else not to get a strike start, get one with a foot pedal...

thats the one i've been hearing great things about. I do like how small and compact it is so that i can bring it to any job site that i would need it.

As far as really thin aluminum, what machine up from the diversion would you rec. for doing thin aluminum. A few things i plan on doing will require very thin aluminum.

THanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread