Suggestions on TIG welders

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I'm interested in buying a tig welder. I have a nice mig but lacks the control for some of the projects I want to try. Anybody have suggestions on brands and such? This is a foreign realm to me.
TIA

TBGT

JMD0346

Established Member
Miller or Lincoln.

I have 2 Miller migs, A miller 375 Plasma cutter, 3 lincoln stick welders and a lincoln 125 mig at my shop. Also have an Air Arc tig/mig/stick unit. Basically just a power source.

dogmush

Established Member
I have a Miller TIG at Home, and different MillerTIG machine at the shop. Both are nice. If you can handle the price tag, Miller's the way to go.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
To be honest with you guys, I've kind of grown up on Esab. Started on one in junior high, then bought an esab mig welder & plas cutter for the shop. I know miller makes great products but as everyone eluded to, they are pricey.

thechunk

Banned
If you can afford the price id go with a syncrowave 250, its a pulse machine that can handle mostly anything you will ever need plus i am pretty sure its upgradeable, i would def get the tig runner package, so its mobile, and if you are going to be doing thick metal, id get it with the cooled torch, pm me if you have anyother questions

JMD0346

Established Member
To be honest with you guys, I've kind of grown up on Esab. Started on one in junior high, then bought an esab mig welder & plas cutter for the shop. I know miller makes great products but as everyone eluded to, they are pricey.

Sounds like you already had your answer. LOL

Ive been in the steel fab business for 16-17 years but Ive never heard of esab. Im gonna do a little google search and check them out.

I agree Miller is expensive but they are quality. IMO though Lincoln is just as good and alittle cheaper. I have some Lincoln welders that are probably 30+ years old and they work perfectly. 2 250amps and 1 400amp stick welder.

jliddle

Established Member
Miller Scynchrowave if you got the bills. If not when I was in school at Wyotech, we had Lincoln's and they're fairly nice

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
JMD, I actually didn't have my answer at all. I was just referencing that with which I'm familiar. Here's a link to esab's us site.
ESAB North America | Plasma Cutting, Filler Metals & Welding Equipment
Now, if you're like everybody else on this site, you'll come back here in a few moments and tell me what pieces of shit I've bought already and that I should drive over them with the largest, heaviest piece of equipment I have at my disposal. Then throw their tattered carcasses off the deepest ravine or at least sink them to the bottom of a lake.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Give us an idea as to what you would like to do as far as your projects go and maybe we can help a bit more. If you're mainly working with sheetmetal and such (which I assume you are since you seem to want some more finess) then look into a Lincoln 225. This is what we have and I love it!

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I'm needing more accuracy and finesse than my mig welder can give me. Plus the project I have in mind absolutely must not be distorted by the heat & pull of the bead. It has to be as straight as an arrow to operate correctly.

JMD0346

Established Member
JMD, I actually didn't have my answer at all. I was just referencing that with which I'm familiar. Here's a link to esab's us site.
ESAB North America | Plasma Cutting, Filler Metals & Welding Equipment
Now, if you're like everybody else on this site, you'll come back here in a few moments and tell me what pieces of shit I've bought already and that I should drive over them with the largest, heaviest piece of equipment I have at my disposal. Then throw their tattered carcasses off the deepest ravine or at least sink them to the bottom of a lake.

Nah actually I wouldnt. Thats not really my style and Im sorry if you may have taken what I said as a put down of your equipment. I know how these sites are too. People love to talk big. Most of them are kids with no clue but it gets old. You know. Its all about "owning" somebody. Ill just keep my nose out of it. Goodluck with whatever you go with. Miller and Lincoln are tops in my book and Im sure you would be pleased with them. My only point was whatever youve become used to and comfortable with is probably your best bet for hobby use. I prefer Miller/Lincoln because I use them for commercial steel fabrication. Which is very demanding.

Oh Hobart I hear makes some pretty good equipment too. I think its pretty reasonably priced as well. I use their welding rods sometimes.

:beer:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I didn't take anything in your post as though you were getting a dig in at all. Just didn't want anybody to think I was wasting their time & already had my mind made up. The rest of my little tirade was just an overview of these sites in general. It wouldn't matter if I had a machine that turned dog turds into gold bullion, somebody would come in and tell me it was a junker & I should get a different brand :dw::bored:

JMD0346

Established Member
I didn't take anything in your post as though you were getting a dig in at all. Just didn't want anybody to think I was wasting their time & already had my mind made up. The rest of my little tirade was just an overview of these sites in general. It wouldn't matter if I had a machine that turned dog turds into gold bullion, somebody would come in and tell me it was a junker & I should get a different brand :dw::bored:

LOL. No doubt. Its always some of those guys hanging around.

Also Ill add that aside from the brand of Tig rig you should always use the best Tungsten electrodes you can afford as well as good clean gas and filler rods. Also having your gas pressure adjusted properly is a huge deal. Setups and guages vary so you just have to play with it to get it dialed in.

If you have an AirGas/National welders store close Id start there. Its like welders heaven. LOL Thats where I have my gas/welding supply account.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Yes I have a local airgas. I've done some business with them in the past but not much. I apparently have a lot to learn about this little venture. But I've been mig welding for fourteen years and just consider myself average compared to some of the talented people out there.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
i have a Miller Diversion 165. Honestly, for the money, its a wonderful buy. Make sure you buy it with a foot pedal (comes with a hand control) It has plently of potential, and honestly the only thing you cant do is REALLY thin aluminum....

Make sure if you choose something else not to get a strike start, get one with a foot pedal...

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
If you can afford the price id go with a syncrowave 250, its a pulse machine that can handle mostly anything you will ever need plus i am pretty sure its upgradeable, i would def get the tig runner package, so its mobile, and if you are going to be doing thick metal, id get it with the cooled torch, pm me if you have anyother questions

Can be found for about $2200 on Ebay with free shipping when I was shopping.. Hell of a machine

Users who are viewing this thread