Suggestions on rotating assembly?

99NJCobra

Established Member
Now that I've officially killed my cobra's motor, any suggestions on where to go to get a decent forged rotating assembly at a reasonable price? Seems like $1800 is about the average for a rotating assembly and $3k for a whole new short block. I was hoping to find an 03/04 cobra rotating assembly, but no luck as of yet. Once rebuilt the car will be used as an open track car and I'm not looking for a ton of power, probably 450-500rwhp tops. Anyway, any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
-Brian

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Stock forged crank
federal mogul bearings
arp2000 hardwear
manley h beams
diamond or CP pistons

That's what I'd stuff in there if it was myself.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
99NJCobra said:
I was hoping to find an 03/04 cobra rotating assembly, but no luck as of yet.
Hi Brian, if or when you do run across an 03-04 cobra rotating assembly, let us know where you found it. I have been considering an 03-04 motor swap for my 99', but still am undecided, hence my asking about the 03-04 rotating assembly.

Thanks.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Even with a discount, it is going to be a bunch from Ford. Go with the VT stuff.

Off topic, but pics of your car??

cobraracer46

Banned
I like the Carrillo billet steel connecting rods and CP pistons with a slight dome to bring the compression up to 11:1. The Manley pro series billet rods are also a good choice. Billet rods cost about $1300 for a set, but if you build the motor your self, you can spend the money on good parts since you are not shelling out money for labor. Of course you will need to find a good machine shop if you build the engine your self.

99NJCobra

Established Member
We're doing the engine ourselves. Final verdict- Rod Knock, Several Spun Bearings, and the cam is Seizing in the heads. Well, if you're gonna screw it up, might as well go all out!
We're going to go .30 over on the block, eithering porting the heads or going aftermarket, porting the stock intake, '03 Cobra TB, throw in a VT engine kit, a nice set of cams, and all the bolt ons. I'll post the numbers when it's done in another month or so, but after building up his '01 GT N/A (final dyno numbers of 403rwhp)...we're expecting some pretty decent numbers out of the four valve. As for pics, I have some on cardomain.com that I'll post up.
Thanks for all the input.
-Brian

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
99NJCobra said:
I was hoping to find an 03/04 cobra rotating assembly, but no luck as of yet. Once rebuilt the car will be used as an open track car and I'm not looking for a ton of power, probably 450-500rwhp tops. Anyway, any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.
-Brian

Karkraft.com has new, stock manley 03/04 cobra rods for under $500 bucks. Use your crank.

Will this be FI or n/a?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
99NJCobra said:
eithering porting the heads or going aftermarket, porting the stock intake, '03 Cobra TB, throw in a VT engine kit, a nice set of cams, and all the bolt ons. I'll post the numbers when it's done in another month or so, but after building up his '01 GT N/A (final dyno numbers of 403rwhp)...we're expecting some pretty decent numbers out of the four valve. -Brian

Only go .030 if you have to as there are no benefits going any more .020. The closest thing to aftermarket heads for a 4V are the FR500s.

So, about this 403 rwhp GT?????? :bs: The highest rwhp of any stock/bore stroke 2V has been around 370. I'd like to see the dyno sheet on this one.

99NJCobra

Established Member
The GT had stock stroke/bore. Patriot Stage 2 Heads which he ported further after receiving them, all the bolt ons, comp cams stage 3 cams, not sure what was done with the intake, plus a dyno tune. You can call BS all you want, but A) I know what that car had powerwise and what it was capable of and B) I started this thread to find out about rotating assemblies, not argue on the internet about another car.
So anyway, thanks for the info thus far everyone. This weekend I'm sitting down and going to decide exactly what's going in this car and hopefully I don't have to worry about any other large expenses for a long time.

99NJCobra

Established Member
Well, after sitting and reading up on this stuff all day (nothing else to do since I have no ride), I decided I'm going N/A for now with the stock compression, but all forged internals. Stock heads and intake with port work, and aftermarket cams. Once I get it on the road, after saving some cash, I think a twin turbo set up will be in the works and in the car by March/April. It's going to be my weekend/show/get away car as I think it's just too nice to sit and race and beat on all the time. Figure if I decide to race, I'll throw together a decent fox body.

SSeatr

Established Member
im still deciding what im going to use..manley rods and cp pistons probably .20 over....id like to do the stroker but who knows

Users who are viewing this thread