Suggestions for Forging?

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Well, in the future I plan on forging out the block and deciding to put some major boost on the car. Gotta put that Teksid to good use. However, I'm relatively new to this block's internals. I know that the Crackshaft is forged, but everything else is hypernetic (pistons, rods, etc)...

I would like to get it to the point as an 03/04 block. I've heard that Manley makes a good set for everything, but I have no clue WTF im looking for, or what the cost is probably going to run me for installation. Im a good friend of an engine builder, but I wouldnt mind knowing what I would be up against.

While im in there I'll probably go ahead and port and polish these b-heads, since they like FI :).

So what am I looking at to replace here? I would like to go with a Turbo setup in the future, or maybe a twin screw SC setup, so keep that in mind.

Ready, and....GO!

97BlackSnake

PUNSNAKE
Established Member
I broke a ring in my car so i decided to have an engine builder rebuild mine with forged internals he says its gona be between 3000-3500$ thats including labor, parts, and machining however i do have to pull th e motor and bring it to him!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The 03/04 rods are great but the pistons leave much to be desired. As you've already stated, the hypeauretic pistons are crap, I'd replace them with somethimg along the quality of Ross, CP or Diamond. I haven't heard anything good or bad about Manley pistons but plenty of good about the other two I mentioned.

The B-heads do work well with boost but the other heads work better and will provide much better driveability. However, the money you save by sticking with them could be put into billet rods and other bottom end strengthening parts that will ensure it stays together under extreme boost conditions.

As far as your intake, short runners are okay but don't cut more than two inches off and definitely don't remove them as some have done. Removing the runners or going with extremely short runners totally kills power under 6000-6500.

There are no good options for high-boost positive dispalcement blower right now for B-headed 4Vs. If KB ever comes out with the 2.4 or a cooled 2.2 that would be an option but they are not available. Personally, I like turbos on these motors but with a twin kit you have to replace the K member and go with coil overs, add that to the cost of the kit and the cost is pretty high. A high boost centri like a procharger may be the way to go to keep cost at a minimum.

Most shops around here charge @$800 the R&R the engine. The cost to rebuild my engine for n/a use was 4K, give or take a hundred. That was with Mahle pistons and Mod max rods and I also went with some custom ground cams. Take away the cams and 3k for a forged rebuild wasn't that bad.

I hope this helps.
Good luck!

Last edited:

mystical

Established Member
Stock block .020 over, cp pistons, billet rods, clean up the heads and remove the IMRC's. Sounds like you want to make crazy power with high psi, so I would suggest keeping the compression at 8.5. Throw all the boost you can at it!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Your best bet is to call VT or MPH because they assemble high boost engines on a daily basis. They can steer you in the direction of the parts that will last and provide the most power. Most of what you are gonna get here is based on limited facts or only opinion. VT and MPH have built hundreds of these engines and there experience is invaluable.

Once again, Good Luck

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
quadcammer said:
i wrote a whole big thing on it in the new edge forum

Excellent write up.

In your opinion, looking at a Turbo/Twin screw in the next few years, would you switch heads? Im thinking CP and Manley H-Beams, amongst other things. It sounds like for the extra money its worth the quality. I would probably be pushing over 10psi, so Mahle is out of the question for that.

Although, what would be the advantage of getting a Mahle piston and possibly Cryo treating it? How much boost do you think that piston would hold after a cryo treatment? Actually, Cryo'ing any of this stuff, would it be worth it?

Would this be a good start for a forged internal setup?

CP Pistons
Manley H-Beams (4340)
ARP Studs
Federal Mogul Bearings
OEM Gasket
Port/Polish B-Heads

With an engine that is sitting around 80k, think it would be a good idea to replace the pump, cooler, and so forth? Im thinking yes, but I wouldnt mind the experts opinion. This would probably be seeing a single turbo application now that I think about it, unless KB comes out with something that makes my jaw drop.

Cams are a possibility, but im not sure I want to go that route, as the car would probably be staying N/A until I would get the moolah for the turbo and I really dont want to be putting in a cam designed for a FI application unless I am putting that turbo on.

Then again, it those studs are torque to yield, its probably not a bad idea to go ahead and put them in. A VT Stage 2 maybe?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
MTShambles said:
With an engine that is sitting around 80k, think it would be a good idea to replace the pump, cooler, and so forth? Im thinking yes, but I wouldnt mind the experts opinion. This would probably be seeing a single turbo application now that I think about it, unless KB comes out with something that makes my jaw drop.

Cams are a possibility, but im not sure I want to go that route, as the car would probably be staying N/A until I would get the moolah for the turbo and I really dont want to be putting in a cam designed for a FI application unless I am putting that turbo on. Thoughts?

Your heads will work fine as will your stock cams. People are getting 800hp easily with stock cams and a turbo.

Yes, a new pump is in needed. Preferrably one that has billet internals.

Are you going to buy the parts and have someone assemble it or buy a shortblock already built? If you plan on throwing a lot of boost to it you should think about having it built by someone who's built high boost motors.

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Well I expected the oil pump to be replaced...

As far as building, there is a guy near me who owns a shop "Beezer Built." He is a good friend of my buddy with an 04 Mystic and has build countless engines for him for high boost applications. It would definately be worth it to talk to him though.

I would consider just getting an all new assembled block, but I would like to keep my OEM block, as im just partial to a nice Teksid :p.

Users who are viewing this thread