Stuttering '03

mav_tu

Established Member
I just bought an '03 a couple days ago and noticed it was kind of stuttering whenever I'm cruising. It does fine under power, if I'm gently accelerating, or decelerating. It only does it if I'm trying to maintain speed - could be anywhere from 1500-3000 rpms in any gear. The car just seems to stutter and hesitate, almost like a misfire.

I think my Mystic I had a couple years ago was doing the same thing, but I can't remeber the solution. Any ideas? Re-tune, TPS, fuel filter, coil packs? I though I had my Mystic retuned to resolve the issue. Any input is appreciated! :beer:

yellow03vert

Established Member
It could be a couple different things, I would have the tune checked if you just bought the car to make sure it is fine. A lot of time it is the plugs that cause the stutter or the gap of the plugs. TR6'S always had a slight miss for both cobras I had so I went to the TR7IX's no more stutter. I wont say this is your problem but it fixed mine.

95rooster

3rd hand info passer
Established Member
i just went threw the same thing your problem maybe different but i replaced the tr6s that came in the car with factory plugs. there were 3 different heat range plugs used by ford i picked the mid range ones with 22 in the part number. ive benn told they were late 03 build plugs. also replaced all of my coil packs with low mileage stock packs i had a mix of accell and 84000 mile stock packs. smooth running now.

mav_tu

Established Member
How many miles on your plugs and gap?

The car only has 10k miles on it. I have no idea what plugs are in it, or if they've been changed. I haven't gotten around to pulling them yet, but they're probably factory...

i just went threw the same thing your problem maybe different but i replaced the tr6s that came in the car with factory plugs. there were 3 different heat range plugs used by ford i picked the mid range ones with 22 in the part number. ive benn told they were late 03 build plugs. also replaced all of my coil packs with low mileage stock packs i had a mix of accell and 84000 mile stock packs. smooth running now.

With the super low mileage I hope I don't need to start replacing coil packs! LOL I was using TR6s in my Mystic with no problems. How much were the factory plugs you got? If memory serves, the TR6s are dirt cheap.

^^^Same question here.
Mods?

I just bought the car, so I have no idea what brand anything was put on it, or who tuned it. It has a 2.8 pulley with tensioner, a CAI, and I was told Flowmaster mufflers.

yellow03vert

Established Member
As soon as you get a chance you should find out what all mods you have and get the tune checked or get it retuned as a safety precaution. The TR6's are really cheap and a lot of guys have good luck with them, some cobras do not like them as well so some people use TR7IX's. The plugs you have might be fine but the gap might need readjusted the gap tends to open up after awhile.

spincobra03

Established Member
Get the car to a tuner man, you will do yourself a major favor. I had the same problem in my 03 redfire when I did my pulley setup, so I called my tuner up and he sent me a new tune to load into my car. Once he did, the car had no more surging or hesitation. Remember.... ITS ALL IN THE TUNE. Good luck.

mav_tu

Established Member
If it's already been tuned one place, it won't be a problem to take it somewhere else, right? They don't VIN lock your car, do they? Dang it's been a long time since I thought about this stuff... haha

spincobra03

Established Member
If it's already been tuned one place, it won't be a problem to take it somewhere else, right? They don't VIN lock your car, do they? Dang it's been a long time since I thought about this stuff... haha

Oh no, you will be fine. If you spend a few hundred bucks the driveability of your car will be worth it. On top of that the peace of mind knowing your car is straight is worth it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread