Stupidest Thing About 2020 GT500!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Rotary dial definitely wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. At work I use them all the time and they’re alright.

I’d say the manual transmission is dead and that’s a too bad because I still enjoy them. For just going out and ****in around it’s much more fun.

How reliable is a dct? Seems like a very expensive piece.

We should ask the focus DCT owners who are in every 15-20k miles for a new clutch pack replacement how reliable they are :D

08mojo

Established Member
I disagree. Have you ever tried executing a fast forward to reverse motion with a rotary dial controlled transmission? What happens when you miss Reverse and click over to Park. By by expensive DCT; hello massive repair bill.

I agree the rotary dial looks out of place on this car--no contest there. However, if the DCT in the GT500 is anything like the one in my current car (F80 M3), the parking pawls do not engage until the car is stationary and the engine is turned off. A lot of people expect a DCT to mimic a traditional automatic transmission--which is not the case. The DCT definitely mimics a manual transmission (as it should, it's a constant mesh gearbox with sliders, forks and synchros for each gear).

I was a bit resistant to the idea of losing the clutch pedal, but I quickly got over that notion. Want to do a massive burnout? Smash the gas pedal. The car revs and drops the clutch without any drama (aside from violent wheelspin). Want to keep the burnout going? Grab the paddle and the next gear is instantly engaged: there is no gap in the stripes on the road. Want to do a controlled launch? Engage launch control, floor the car, release a paddle when you're ready to go. The DCT is badass and I do not miss the 3rd pedal at all--which was a surprise.

The downsides: the car does remind you it's not a torque-converter driven automatic. At slow speeds, the DCT can be a bit clunky and it's really difficult to make the car crawl at slow speeds (such as when backing into a garage or parking spot). Those are the only time I wish I could control the clutch. But trust me, the good far outweighs the bad.

I happen to actually really like the DCT, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see it in the GT500. Most, if not all, of the behaviors of the DCT in my car is due to the programming. So, let's hope Ford doesn't mess this up too bad. Let's also hope the Tremec box is reliable.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's direct competitor, the ZL1, has been out for years. And this thing shows up 5 years late, and all we get is a Ford ZL1 with a DCT. Nothing innovative. Nothing new. Nothing we didn't already have.

This cars behind the 8 ball, because whatever GM/Chevrolet has in the pre-production room to replace the current Camaro/ZL1 is surely light years ahead of this car. It's already out of date.

94RedCobra

Established Member
Ford engineers should have hired you. Nobody has ever thought or done what you just said. Lol

But you're right that dial imo belongs in a luxury car.
Yes they should have. I could have fixed the user interface/experience in a number of their vehicles.

Case in point, FCA vehicles have some of the best interiors and infotainment systems. Ford is behind the curve and it shows in their products and their stock price.

94RedCobra

Established Member
I like the DCT transmission. I hate the stupid rotary dial. Put a shift lever in there that you can actually grab and flick confidently between forward and reverse.

I agree the rotary dial looks out of place on this car--no contest there. However, if the DCT in the GT500 is anything like the one in my current car (F80 M3), the parking pawls do not engage until the car is stationary and the engine is turned off. A lot of people expect a DCT to mimic a traditional automatic transmission--which is not the case. The DCT definitely mimics a manual transmission (as it should, it's a constant mesh gearbox with sliders, forks and synchros for each gear).

I was a bit resistant to the idea of losing the clutch pedal, but I quickly got over that notion. Want to do a massive burnout? Smash the gas pedal. The car revs and drops the clutch without any drama (aside from violent wheelspin). Want to keep the burnout going? Grab the paddle and the next gear is instantly engaged: there is no gap in the stripes on the road. Want to do a controlled launch? Engage launch control, floor the car, release a paddle when you're ready to go. The DCT is badass and I do not miss the 3rd pedal at all--which was a surprise.

The downsides: the car does remind you it's not a torque-converter driven automatic. At slow speeds, the DCT can be a bit clunky and it's really difficult to make the car crawl at slow speeds (such as when backing into a garage or parking spot). Those are the only time I wish I could control the clutch. But trust me, the good far outweighs the bad.

I happen to actually really like the DCT, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see it in the GT500. Most, if not all, of the behaviors of the DCT in my car is due to the programming. So, let's hope Ford doesn't mess this up too bad. Let's also hope the Tremec box is reliable.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A GT350R's MSRP is $63,000, the GT350 has a MSRP of $56,000. The GT500 will not start in the 90s lol
For reference, the 2014 GT500 had a MSRP of $55,000.
The $ 54,800.00 was for the base coupe, which they only made 662 of, & excluded the $ 795.00 destination charge.
I also think the " Carbon " package on the 2020 will be some serious $$$$$..

08mojo

Established Member
I cannot believe that people are bitching about this car and being serious.

It's going to be amazing.

Agreed! That said, I am going to control myself and wait a couple of years to see if there are any common pitfalls.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no issues with this car. Not even with most everyone’s trigger (rotary shifter).

My one and only gripe is the lack of manual. I know there is still hardcore guys out there that will trade a couple of 10ths in the 1/4 to row their own.

Car is insaine in my opinion. Best of both worlds. Red eye/1LE ****ed and had a child. Child is grown.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have no issues with this car. Not even with most everyone’s trigger (rotary shifter).

My one and only gripe is the lack of manual. I know there is still hardcore guys out there that will trade a couple of 10ths in the 1/4 to row their own.

Car is insaine in my opinion. Best of both worlds. Red eye/1LE ****ed and had a child. Child is grown.

Ford hasn't ruled out a 6-speed in the future.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
We should ask the focus DCT owners who are in every 15-20k miles for a new clutch pack replacement how reliable they are :D
This is a bit of an exaggeration. It was at 40k miles and had to get it reflashed (free) every 10k miles.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is a bit of an exaggeration. It was at 40k miles and had to get it reflashed (free) every 10k miles.

I've had some do it at 5,000 miles.

Completely different than what's in the 2020 GT500. Also, a 2015 Focus doesn't have the same transmission as a 2018. I haven't seen ANY issues with the late 2017s and 2018 Focus'.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
50117215_379300415967176_3008257581597589504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread