Stupid Oil (level) question

Qwk GT

Established Member
Ok, kind of embarrased for even asking but, I've always checked my oil after letting the car sit for a couple of hours to let all of the oil back into the pan.

So recently did an oil change, let it idle for about 10 minutes, then let the car sit for about 3 hours. Filled it up to the top of the dipstick. Recently took it into ford, they told me that I was a quart low??? Never really thought to google it as this is how i was tought, but I guess after googling it the correct procedure is to only let it sit for 5 minutes or so, and then fill?

So if it reads over the dipstick line after a couple of hours (Or when all of the oil goes back into the pan) this is inaccurate? Can anyone confirm.

Lastly, because I was low, they topped it off, ut when I asked what they put in they advised all of the techs were gone and they didn't know. When I bought the car, it had a sticker for 5-30, and I replaced all of the oil with 5-20.

So is there any harm in running 5-20 with a quart of 5-30? I'm not even sure if thats what they put in but thought I'd check to be safe...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You let a Ford dealer put oil in your car?

You were unable to find even one of the hundreds of "oil level", "dip stick", "how many quarts" threads on here with a search?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...000000;GFNT:0000FF;GIMP:0000FF;FORID:11&hl=en

Ford says 6.
Most of us use 6.5 and mark a new "full mark" on the stick after it's started and drained down for about an hour.
Open trackers will use 7 to help prevent starvation on hard turns.
I use 9 quarts of Royal Purple XPR 5W-30 with my significantly larger than stock Canton road race pan.:p:-D:thumbsup:

Moved:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread