Stuck Cruise or Throttle? This ever happen to you?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I don't want to type out a huge message explaining what happened to me yesterday so I will try and keep it relatively short, however I am more interested in hearing if anyone else has had a similar experience to me or not in their F150??

I currently have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost. I had a 2011 EB prior to that but wanted an EB that had the back up camera and parking assists and a bigger tanks etc. So we traded in the 2011 for a 2103 F150 one about 1 year ago. Anyway, I really like the truck.

Yesterday while driving on a perimeter highway in the city where I live and had the cruise set at around 110 km/hr and there was road construction ahead that reduced the road from 3 lanes to 2. I stepped hard on the gas to get ahead of a guy in the opposite lane as my lane was ending. As I did the line change, I stepped on the brake to slow down as traffic was heavy and slowing down due to the road construction. Only thing is the truck kept accelerating / rev-ing! So I stood hard on the brake and the truck slowed down a bit and then kicked down 2 or so gears on its own and took off again. I kept pumping the brake and panicked a bit as the cruise didn't seem to disengage. This unwanted acceleration and me holding the brake went on for maybe 30 seconds to a minute as I tried to find a place to safely lane change and pullover but traffic was heavy.

I thought I was going to get in wreck and luckily it wasn't Winter as I would have lost control for sure. I hit cancel and off on the cruise a few times and it did nothing. I hit the brakes at least 15 times and still couldn't prevent the truck from accelerating. Odd thing is the cruise light was orange (not green) meaning it wasn't engaged.

When I pulled over and put it in park, it revved up to around 5000 rpm and I shut the truck off. I restarted the truck after a minute, as I was stopped on the bottom end of a merge ramp and had to move. As I started it the truck revved back up to 4800 rpm and I jabbed the gas pedal and the revs came down. I limped the truck home about a mile or so without the cruise and called the Ford dealership. Spoke to 2 people there including the Service Manager. I got the feeling that they don't fully believe me, however the first thing they said was a floor mat was stuck under the gas pedal - there is no way as I only have a form fit Weathertech mat that is no where near the gas pedal or linkages.

Not entirely sure, however I was thinking the issue was the cruise, but I am not so sure now as why would the truck rev back up after I turned it off.

Anyway, have any of you ever had something similar to this happen to you?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't have an EB F-150 but I sorta had a similar problem with my mustang before. I would set the cruise control and the car would slowly accelerate and the idle was impossible to get down. It was just a bad IAC valve for me. I have a 2010 Focus that was doing weird things too, but that turned out to be a vacuum leak from a stupid @$$ hole that broke a clip off my air box when they checked the filter during an oil change. They never told me they broke it, I had to figure it out and wait over two months as the clips were on back order.

I would check for any vacuum leaks and if you can, clean out the TB and IAC valve. Not entirely sure if you have a fly by wire setup but I am sure you do, there could be a problem with the motor or computer controlling it.

Does the truck do this every time now that you start it up? only sometimes? isolated incident? If it happens often, I would just take it to the dealer since it should replicate itself there.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hi Kel. I've never heard of this happening as you described. That is really scary. I can only imagine the panic you must have felt. The carpet-stick thing is what would typically be the culprit. But you've proven it wasn't the carpet. About the only advice I can give you, having no clue what the problem might have been or is, is to work with the dealer to thoroughly check the engine, tune, throttle system, etc., for any signs of something wrong. SOMETHING caused the problem, and it could happen again. If it was MY truck, I would be too nervous to take it back on the road, especially with someone else in the passenger seat. Certainly I'd be very reluctant to let my wife take it to visit her mom, 40 minutes away via the freeway. Of course, maybe it will never happen again. This is a tough one if you cannot replicate the issue.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Thanks.

As an update, I am going to pick up the truck now and Ford couldn't reproduce the incident in 200 kms of testing. Ford was pretty decent about it and they reportedly did a good check of the vehicle. Long story short, Ford thinks maybe a piece of straw or dirt or something got stuck in the throttle...not sure. They did advise that I had nothing to worry about and it will not happen again.

Still freaked out. But at least I think I am more prepared if it happens again. Hopefully it never does.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is good news, knowing that Ford checked your truck out very thoroughly and believes it won't happen again. Glad you like the truck, my friend. :)

forcefedcobra

Established Member
crazy Kelly. glad you are ok. we haven't had any issues with my 11 eb f150 or my wifes 13 eb exploder sport

Users who are viewing this thread