Stteda Stop The Hop Pak...Any Good?

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
I was wondering if anybody has tried the Steeda Stop The Hop Pak and if so what your opinions are on it. Did it do what it was supposed to? I know alot of you have gone with ac427cobra's delrin kit and many of you like the Billetflow diff brace, but the Steeda pak seems to be a reasonably priced compromise...as long as it works and as long as there are no surprises when doing the install. For those of you who have actually installed / tried the Steeda pieces please chime in.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know nothing about Steeda's package, but I will strongly advise you to get the best package you can afford. I get concerned with words like "compromise". JMO.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
I think Steeda makes good stuff for the most part.

I don't have the whole package but I do have a Billetflow IRS brace, Steeda Cobra IRS Subframe Bracket Kit, and the Steeda Cobra Differential Bushings... so the only thing i'm missing out of the pack is the subframe bushings..
My car hops VERY rarely if at all... it did with just the Billetflow IRS brace by itself but when I put the bracket kit and differential bushings on in addition to the brace later on, it has stopped hop about 99% of the time.

I'd say do the subframe bushings too while you're at it. although i've heard they are alot harder to put in

Last edited:

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
Bob,

I hear what you're saying. I can't really afford to do all the bushings in delrin and get the billetflow brace too. If I wanted to do a couple of delrin bushings and the BF brace, I could do that, but it may not be enough to actually help the hop and I'd end up having to take everything down to replace more bushings at a later date. I CAN, however, afford the Steeda kit and it seems to cover all the bases (diff brace, diff mount bushings, brackets, subframe mount bushings). I know the urethane is not as good as delrin, but at least I could treat the whole IRS at one time for a resonable cost with the Steeda kit and hopefully get this car better planted. Keep the suggestions coming.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
Street car only. Never been to the track. It's a 'vert and it wheel hops like a mutha! I've still got the factory Goodyears on it. I'll do drag radials soon. I know that will help alot with the hop.

Silverboost

Established Member
I believe you can buy AC427's kit in pieces if you like. You just get a better deal if you buy a package from him. I had and still have the wheel hop issue in my Vert. H&R race springs, FLSFC, and sticky tires helped...but I still get it when it is cold outside.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob,

I hear what you're saying. I can't really afford to do all the bushings in delrin and get the billetflow brace too. If I wanted to do a couple of delrin bushings and the BF brace, I could do that, but it may not be enough to actually help the hop and I'd end up having to take everything down to replace more bushings at a later date. I CAN, however, afford the Steeda kit and it seems to cover all the bases (diff brace, diff mount bushings, brackets, subframe mount bushings). I know the urethane is not as good as delrin, but at least I could treat the whole IRS at one time for a resonable cost with the Steeda kit and hopefully get this car better planted. Keep the suggestions coming.

I hear ya. You don't have to do it all at once of course. Consider doing it in stages going with the best parts with what you can afford. In the end you'll have a quality setup. Just a thought. Now if you're needing to get a package in ASAP for, say, racing, then certainly consider the best package available for what you can afford. Just hate to see you buy something with built in compromise now and then later have you wish you had saved a bit more to buy a better package. Just my random thoughts. LOL!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Exactly. If you can't buy everything you need just stay out of the throttle.

powersof12

Established Member
I was looking at the same Steeda kit for my Vert. I still have the goodyears and am scared to death if I get into it a little and it wheel hops. I will never track this and probably never put bigger tires on but would like it to be fun. I didn't see a link to the AC427 kit but will browse around a little.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Steeda = junk...none of Steeda's POS part will ever be on my car

if you didn't know, steeda usually rebrands other manufacturer's stuff as thier own. A lot of times it's junk no name parts at a cheap cost.

Stick with Maximum, or just do it in stages so as to not hurt your wallet.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Steeda.....

I also have a Vert that hopped like crazy. I call it this way:

3. OK Steeda Kit

2. Better M.M Kit

1. Best Bruce's Full Kit with 9/16 Bolts, and Grease Fittings [optional R. Bump-steer kit]

You will also need.

1. M.M. F. Length Sub-frame Connectors welded in

2. Vert = Firmer Springs, to save a little, I bought some low mileage Coupe Springs from a SVT member in the market, and had a 1/2 coil cut on each for a moderate drop.

3. B.F. R. Diff Brace, and had the R. Diff. flush and filled and the cover re-sealed

4. M.M. C/C Plates

5. 4 wheel alignment, I also had the bump-steer set

6. 2 new Nitto 555's installed in the rear. R. F1's we're toast

Most of the clunks are gone, wheel hop is a memory. A much better solid planted car, the best mod I've made, wish I'd have done it first. If you are going to have a shop do the install, combine as much as possible, to save labor charges. Check Bruce's info.....Good luck!!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member
How does the delrin/aluminum bushing kit affect ride quality? Its a vert, so ride quality will never be a Cadillac, but if I want my fillings jarred out I'll take my '67.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
^Exactly. If you can't buy everything you need just stay out of the throttle.

As we all know, staying out of the throttle is not an option. I did put coupe springs in (cut 3/4 in rear and 1/2 front) hoping that that would be a big help. It wasn't. I haven't done sub frames yet, but that's next on my list along with a diff brace. I just figured that while I was doing the diff brace it might be a good idea to address some of the bushings as well. I don't know if I'm ready to tackle all of them though. Some have said that doing just the diff mounts helps alot. Of course while I'm in there I'll replace the front subframe bolts with 9/16 grade 8's or 14 mm to remedy that issue.

I'm used to my old 5.0 which was basically tractionless and a handful, but a ton of fun to drive. I'm fairly new to the Terminator cars having had mine for less than a year now and I miss being able to wag the tail at will. Heck, I can't even do a smokey burnout in my '03 'vert without it hopping like crazy! WTF! I gotta' do something.

Users who are viewing this thread