Stripped brake caliper bracket bolt...

04GTMustang

Established Member
Hey guys.

Having a terrible time trying to remove one if the 15mm bolts that holds the bracket on the rotors. It is stripped to hell so I went at it with a dremel and tried to square off the sides... Barley fit a 9/16 wrench on there and when I was pulling on it as hard as i could I broke the wrench.. (yea a drop forged wrench, toast) :fm:

What can I do about getting this out? It's been soaking in LPS 3 lube and now I'm stuck. Should I put the caliper and wheel back on and drive it to my local dealership and have them get it out with professional tools?

Do most ford dealerships carry those 15mm bolts? Thanks!

Blueline

Established Member
do you have access to a torch? try heating it up a bit, they are in there pretty good, but man never had that tough of a time. Try some heat, but becarful not to get it too hot. Or try to hit it with an impact and it may break free. Square off the head again and bang a socket on there the best you can and hit it with a GOOD impact. Yes your dealership should have these in stock, if not you should be able to get one pretty quick. If you have a friend that has a shop, maybe take it to him if you dont feel comfortable with my suggestions. Good luck!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I agree with above post.

Heat it up with a propane torch to break down the thread locker on there.

Then remember to put new thread locker on the bolt you re-use, the new one from ford will likely already have it on it.

When things don't come right off, before you engage megaton force, use some heat, it will save you future trips to the hardware store.

04GTMustang

Established Member
LOL at megaton force....

I do have a torch, I'll try heating it and using another 9/16's... If I can't get it off what do you think someone would charge to get one bolt out?

Quagmire

Established Member
likely an hours work. Heat it up and it should come off, Remember if you have a big enough lever and a pivot point you can move the world.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Suggestions above are what I would do.

Don't take this the wrong way OP but make sure you are turning the wrench the right direction. I had a friend a few weeks ago call me to try and remove the caliper bracket bolts because he couldn't get them off even with a breaker bar. I get there, use the breaker bar and off came the bolts. He was tightening them instead off loosening the bolts.

04GTMustang

Established Member
Suggestions above are what I would do.

Don't take this the wrong way OP but make sure you are turning the wrench the right direction. I had a friend a few weeks ago call me to try and remove the caliper bracket bolts because he couldn't get them off even with a breaker bar. I get there, use the breaker bar and off came the bolts. He was tightening them instead off loosening the bolts.

Haha yea I know what you mean. I got one out so at least I know I'm turning in the right direction! :rolling: I think I'm gonna leave it alone for now and I'll pick up that kit and use heat next time I address the front brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread