Street, Perf, Race tune?

DIB5.0

Established Member
Is this just a gimick? I do not see any other tuners offer separate tunes but one. Someone told me its just were WOT is on the pedal. The race would be WOT only about half pedal.

wazslow

Established Member
Is this just a gimick? I do not see any other tuners offer separate tunes but one. Someone told me its just were WOT is on the pedal. The race would be WOT only about half pedal.

Its more than likely just the amount of timing in the tune and which octane fuel you are going to run to allow more timing. I dont understand what you mean when you say "The race would be WOT only about half pedal." ??

87 octane tune - lower timing
93 octane - more timing
race fuel - alot of timing.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Another tuner told me they could make the throttle open at lets say half pedal or 1/4 pedal so it is giving you the feeling that it is quicker but the track x's would be the same.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
when i had my cobra dyno tuned by Horsepower by Hermann he gave me 3 tunes. A race, street, and one incase i get bad gas thats pretty conservative.

SpectorV

Established Member
"race" tunes are generally setup to be more sensitive so you get into the throttle at a lower imput (AKA WOT at like 50% instead of 80% pushing the petal in)

could also be race gas or higher octane vs 91 or 89

chrisheltra

Established Member

Another tuner told me they could make the throttle open at lets say half pedal or 1/4 pedal so it is giving you the feeling that it is quicker but the track x's would be the same.

Who ever told you that would not be getting my business and hard earned money. While they can do that in the tune that is not what makes your car faster down the track. Leaning it out and adding timing is what makes your car faster when adding higher octane fuels.

Its more than likely just the amount of timing in the tune and which octane fuel you are going to run to allow more timing. I dont understand what you mean when you say "The race would be WOT only about half pedal." ??

87 octane tune - lower timing
93 octane - more timing
race fuel - alot of timing.

+1

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As several people on this forum have pointed out, race tunes generally require higher octane fuel to allow more timing advance. That has always been my definition of a race tune as well.

Since the advent of 05+ mustangs and electronic throttle control, some tuners have proported to make race, street, and torque tunes that all run on the same octane fuel.

This brings up a few important questions:
How is the tuner making more power with a race tune?
and
If octane is the same, why aren't they giving you this power in a street tune all the time?

A good tune should have low end TQ, high end HP, and linear throttle response throughout the curve. If you are just playing with the pedal to make a "race" tune you are only making the car harder to drive.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Thats what i never understood how Bama now AM have these tunes using the same octane. Never understood how you could have a 93 Race a 93 Perf and a 93 Street. What is the difference?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Thats what i never understood how Bama now AM have these tunes using the same octane. Never understood how you could have a 93 Race a 93 Perf and a 93 Street. What is the difference?

Different air fuel ratios. Its fairly common on diesels, bullydog. Really anyone can do it, however most tuners set the tune for best performance while keeping it safe reliable. This would not work for their advertised 93 race....

DIB5.0

Established Member
I have talked to several vendors about getting a tune and the most upfront and no BS with all the different octane #'s have been VMP, JLT and even AM but just not a fan of the 3 different tunes. Should just be the best one for your car that gets you the best all around performance . Livernois also very helpful and provided dyno charts.

chrisheltra

Established Member

I bet if you talk to them there is a difference between a 93 race tune and a C16 race tune when it come to where they set the timing and how lean they make the tune, but Im the type of guy who would run the 93 race tune daily just because its available.

Evo does the same thing. This is directly off of their site.

91 Octane
92 Octane
93 Octane
93 Octane Aggressive
100 Octane Xtreme Race Tune
C116 Xtreme Race Tune

Users who are viewing this thread