Strange sound after head replacement - please read!!

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Beetle6986 said:
The tick on my car is heard on the drivers side. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side under the the back of the motor around the cats. :shrug:

That's tick location 101 for sure . Yep sounds like it's the tick for sure. Can you record it? Is the occourance of the tick 1 to1 with idle rpm, or can you tell if it is 1 tick for every 2 rpms or revolutions. 1:2 ratio means it's coming from the valvetrain.

Beetle6986

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
That's tick location 101 for sure . Yep sounds like it's the tick for sure. Can you record it? Is the occourance of the tick 1 to1 with idle rpm, or can you tell if it is 1 tick for every 2 rpms or revolutions. 1:2 ratio means it's coming from the valvetrain.

I meant to say the tick is heard from the passenger side, not the driver's side. The ratio matches that of the valve train (1:4). About 3 times per second.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
SOrry guys, but the REAL tick is heard right by the wheal well area on either side of the car by the Cobra emblem. I picked up my car and they said that the sound after the heads were replaced was exhaust resonance. It DOES NOT sound like a metal ticking sound, it is more like a clicking that can be best heard by the cats.

Beetle6986

Established Member
brasil said:
SOrry guys, but the REAL tick is heard right by the wheal well area on either side of the car by the Cobra emblem. I picked up my car and they said that the sound after the heads were replaced was exhaust resonance. It DOES NOT sound like a metal ticking sound, it is more like a clicking that can be best heard by the cats.

Do they have you convinced? Wheel well, around the cats (about the same area). I've had a lot of mustangs and never had this sound. I've also heard a lot of Cobras without the tick. Can you hear the ticking from more than 10 feet away? Doesn't really matter to me where the sound comes from. A $35,000 mustang shouldn't tick that loud.

Last edited:

Ontariomystic

Established Member
My Cobra has the same ticking sound. Its quiet until you put your ear near the exhaust. Sounds like a tick heard near the cats. I still have the stock H and stock heads which have 9 threads.

04 Blk Cobra

Established Member
GUYS LISTEN TO THIS...

I was reading this post about a new ticking noise some of you had... then, last night I pull in the garage... TICK TICK TICK KNOCK KNOCK RAP RAP RAP :eek: ... coming fom the left wheel well..... Car runs fine. :shrug:

Pop hood, coming from front of motor.. this I am sure of. :dw:

Go to dealer today, friend works there, he looks at it... finds a broken factory idler.. just right of the crank pulley. Lucky he had one in stock. All fixed...

Maybe it helps some of you, maybe not .. but def thought it'd be worth sharing.
:beer:

BurnTire

Established Member
Ontariomystic said:
My Cobra has the same ticking sound. Its quiet until you put your ear near the exhaust. Sounds like a tick heard near the cats. I still have the stock H and stock heads which have 9 threads.

I have the same sound on my 04 passenger side. I have heard it on several other stock cobras.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
04 Blk Cobra said:
GUYS LISTEN TO THIS...

I was reading this post about a new ticking noise some of you had... then, last night I pull in the garage... TICK TICK TICK KNOCK KNOCK RAP RAP RAP :eek: ... coming fom the left wheel well..... Car runs fine. :shrug:

Pop hood, coming from front of motor.. this I am sure of. :dw:

Go to dealer today, friend works there, he looks at it... finds a broken factory idler.. just right of the crank pulley. Lucky he had one in stock. All fixed...

Maybe it helps some of you, maybe not .. but def thought it'd be worth sharing.
:beer:

Rare problem, you are lucky !

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Mine seems to be coming from the passeger side as well, but you can hear it. It does not sound like the head tick that I had before getting both heads replaced. THis sound was not present before the heads were replaced.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
brasil said:
Mine seems to be coming from the passeger side as well, but you can hear it. It does not sound like the head tick that I had before getting both heads replaced. THis sound was not present before the heads were replaced.

I just drove my car for the first time since they could not find the noise. Well the sound came back after driving for 20min, then it would go away. I let the car sit for 25min. started it back up and it has a heavier than ever tick, then it would go away. I let the damm car sit again with my digital video camera out and the car is dead silent.

Could this head be warped already? This is so weird the sound seems to come and go and when it's there it is so loud. It's the kind of embarrasing loud when you have the tick at a drive through. Any ideas.

I think I am going to purchase the extended Ford ESP warranty. If this engine gives up what are my chances of getting a brand new mill vs a reman unit under the extended warrany?

My options are this. Buy a warranty and hope for the best even though I want to pulley this car and get it tuned by strictly performance.

I could sell my favorite car in the whole world and buy a 4 door powerstroke and do all of the fun mods that are available for it. 5inch exhaust before rear tire, piggy back controler, propane injecion etc etc.

What do I do? Will I be taken care of properly when the extended warranty kicks in ? I need good advice here guys.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
My heads and motor are quiet. The clicking that I describe is present cold or warm, it is nothing like the TICK sounded like.

Users who are viewing this thread