Strange sound after head replacement - please read!!

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Ok, both of my heads got replaced. There is now a strange sound emiting from under the car. IT does not sound like the head TICK or piston slap. The engine sounds very quiet. THis sound was NOT present when I took the car in for the head replacement. If you open the hood, you cannot head the noise. I thought maybe it was a loose belt or tensioner. It is most audible under the car by the cats. I do have the MRT catted H pipe, but the sound does not sound like an exhast leak, because the pipe was leaking before and it emited another type of sound under load. The sound that is present is more like a clicking sound. I thought that they might be the injectors, but if it is, why was it not making the noise before I took the car in for the head replacement. PLEASE ADVISE!!

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
exhaust leaks can sound different. Puffs, Ticks, Clicks, .. Sometimes all the time, sometimes only under acceleration. I had one on my 66 mustang that i SWORE was a valve or lifter or pushrod... Part of the header gasket blew out...

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
It's probably the MRT H-pipe leaking. I had a slight exhaust leak on the drivers side. I am not happy with MRT quality.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
brasil said:
Ok, both of my heads got replaced. There is now a strange sound emiting from under the car. IT does not sound like the head TICK or piston slap. The engine sounds very quiet. THis sound was NOT present when I took the car in for the head replacement. If you open the hood, you cannot head the noise. I thought maybe it was a loose belt or tensioner. It is most audible under the car by the cats. I do have the MRT catted H pipe, but the sound does not sound like an exhast leak, because the pipe was leaking before and it emited another type of sound under load. The sound that is present is more like a clicking sound. I thought that they might be the injectors, but if it is, why was it not making the noise before I took the car in for the head replacement. PLEASE ADVISE!!

Is it really bad when you just start the car ? This is VERY important it sounds like we may have the same sound and issue. I can pinpoint my sound to the back side of the engine. I also cannot hear the noise from under the hood only by the wheel well and Cat area. How many miles are on your new heads and which side is it coming from? Don't forget to tell me at what point the sound is the loudest.

AkronCobra

Established Member
fordracerguy said:
exhaust leaks can sound different. Puffs, Ticks, Clicks, .. Sometimes all the time, sometimes only under acceleration. I had one on my 66 mustang that i SWORE was a valve or lifter or pushrod... Part of the header gasket blew out...
I agree. Probably an exhaust leak.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
The sound can be best heard mostly by the cats, but you can still hear it from outside the car or in it at idle.. It cannot be heard with the engine open. It does not sound like a head tick. I do not think it is the injectors, because the noise was not present before the heads were swapped. It does not sound like it is from the engine or heads.

Yates, since you have the stock H pipe, I doubt that you have a leak. The MRT H pipe is a two piece deal, so it is very hard to get it flush with the manifolds.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
brasil said:
The sound can be best heard mostly by the cats, but you can still hear it from outside the car or in it at idle.. It cannot be heard with the engine open. It does not sound like a head tick. I do not think it is the injectors, because the noise was not present before the heads were swapped. It does not sound like it is from the engine or heads.

Yates, since you have the stock H pipe, I doubt that you have a leak. The MRT H pipe is a two piece deal, so it is very hard to get it flush with the manifolds.

I C good to know.

Beetle6986

Established Member
brasil said:

The head tick sounds about the same as an exhaust leak. Usually coming from the bottom back of the engine or around the cats. At least thats what experienced.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
The head Tick can be head by the driver's side wheel, and sounds like a metal on metal knock. The sound that I am hearing is more of a clicking type.

03btchnsnake

In Control
Established Member
could be resonence from the exhaust. i have a similar click.. mistook it for the tick till i heard my friends car..

mk

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
I just dropped the car back at the dealership this morning. I will give an update when I get an answer.

Beetle6986

Established Member
brasil said:
The head Tick can be head by the driver's side wheel, and sounds like a metal on metal knock. The sound that I am hearing is more of a clicking type.

The tick on my car is heard on the drivers side. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side under the the back of the motor around the cats. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread