Strange noise

2012SVT

Established Member
First off please let me introduce myself. My name's Chris, been in the Air Force for 12 yrs so far and I'm currently stationed in Cheyenne Wyoming. Been a member of this forum for a while but haven't posted anything. Just been trying to learn as much as I can about my car. The amount of knowledge on this site is amazing. I bought my 2012 GT500 back in September of last year. Still bone stock...for now of coarse. Hopefully not for long though. My question is this: there is a strange sound coming from the steering column when I turn the wheel to the left but not to the right. It only started making the sound about a month ago. Its kinda like a binding sound. Hard to describe. I took it to the Ford dealership here in town and the mechanic there said that it was normal cuz its a "race car" and that I should just take it on a figure eight about three times and the sound should go away. I don't want to call someone a liar when I don't know the truth myself but this sure sounds like BS to me. Anyone have any input on this? I tried a search on the forum for any similar issues but for some reason the search option wouldn't work for me. Thanks in advance!

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
First off please let me introduce myself. My name's Chris, been in the Air Force for 12 yrs so far and I'm currently stationed in Cheyenne Wyoming. Been a member of this forum for a while but haven't posted anything. Just been trying to learn as much as I can about my car. The amount of knowledge on this site is amazing. I bought my 2012 GT500 back in September of last year. Still bone stock...for now of coarse. Hopefully not for long though. My question is this: there is a strange sound coming from the steering column when I turn the wheel to the left but not to the right. It only started making the sound about a month ago. Its kinda like a binding sound. Hard to describe. I took it to the Ford dealership here in town and the mechanic there said that it was normal cuz its a "race car" and that I should just take it on a figure eight about three times and the sound should go away. I don't want to call someone a liar when I don't know the truth myself but this sure sounds like BS to me. Anyone have any input on this? I tried a search on the forum for any similar issues but for some reason the search option wouldn't work for me. Thanks in advance!

Wth seems like this "tech" is a lazy bastard, so are you hearing like a creaking or popping sound?

IA Shelby

Established Member
I was thinking there was a tsb on the electric steering but that was for early 11's.

The more I think about look up tsb 8-5-10 regarding groaning noise during low speed turning maneuvers. I am betting the noise may be coming from your differential. An $10 bottle of friction modifier has been known to help.

And yes you have a very lazy svt tech.

Last edited:

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
I have a 2012 and the steering has never made any noise. That "race car" line sounds like BS (IMO). I'd definitely look into it. Maybe take it to another dealership if the local one is no help

2012SVT

Established Member
I was thinking there was a tsb on the electric steering but that was for early 11's.

The more I think about look up tsb 8-5-10 regarding groaning noise during low speed turning maneuvers. I am betting the noise may be coming from your differential. An $10 bottle of friction modifier has been known to help.

And yes you have a very lazy svt tech.

Thanks I'll def look into that.

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
I have a 2012 with SVTPP and have hever had any noise from the steering. HOWEVER, I did may the electric steering go completly out...Search for my thread and you will see what an issue I had. Bottom line try a different dealership. The steering should not be making any noise.

2012SVT

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the input. And yea, I know the dealership here in town is shady as f..k but was just hoping they would at least figure out the problem or something but once again they fail by not doing anything which I am used to. Sucks cuz the nearest big Ford dealership is about 40 minutes away in Colorado. Oh well, love goin down to CO so I'll make the best of it and hopefully get a better answer from them. Thanks again everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread