Stranded, cobra died

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I've been in an SRT4 when the intercooler hose blew clear off and it didn't cause the car to stall. It still ran fine, but had no power because it had no boost. This bitch doesn't even want to start.

Anybody think it might be a sensor or something? CPS gone bad?

TRBO VNM

I didn't realize your car was an import. :rollseyes

I have been in cars with a intercooler pipe popped off and they wouldn't run.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been in an SRT4 when the intercooler hose blew clear off and it didn't cause the car to stall. It still ran fine, but had no power because it had no boost. This bitch doesn't even want to start.

SRT4's don't have MAF's, you could have nothing but a throttle body and it would still start up and run. They run speed density IIRC, which uses a MAP and the TPS to create the fuel maps.

Either way, sounds like you have a huge vacuum leak. Check all intercooler piping, I guarantee you a coupler is loose somewhere, or a hose popped off somewhere. Good luck, hunting vacuum leaks sucks.:beer:

TRBO VNM

I didn't realize Dodge's were foreign cars :poke:

since when in our world is a neon not considered in the import category?

so what, the point is, it is a different car, but hey, if you want to take your experience with it as gospel, don't check your intercooler piping.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
SRT4's don't have MAF's, you could have nothing but a throttle body and it would still start up and run. They run speed density IIRC, which uses a MAP and the TPS to create the fuel maps.

The only thing "import" about an SRT4 would be the turbo, which is a Mitsubishi unit.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
J, not sure how the intercooler piping would cause this car a problem due to the location of the MAF. Even if it did come off, the air coming in would still be metered. If the piping were behind the MAF, I would completely agree, but since his maf is right in front of the tb I don't see how the intercooler lines could cause a problem.

I will head over there tonight to help him locate this. Hopefully it's something cheap like a split vaccum line, and not something expensive like a cracked intake manifold.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
I didn't realize your car was an import. :rollseyes

I have been in cars with a intercooler pipe popped off and they wouldn't run.

J, not sure how the intercooler piping would cause this car a problem due to the location of the MAF. Even if it did come off, the air coming in would still be metered. If the piping were behind the MAF, I would completely agree, but since his maf is right in front of the tb I don't see how the intercooler lines could cause a problem.

I will head over there tonight to help him locate this. Hopefully it's something cheap like a split vaccum line, and not something expensive like a cracked intake manifold.

I had to have my car towed home one night when my piping blew off my throttlebody and I could not see it was off (section of I95 with no lights, without a flashlight), but the ecu was flooding the motor with fuel because it was expecting alot more air that wasn't getting into the motor, all it would do was crank.

If I floored the car it would idle barely with tons of smoke from the tailpipes (extremely rich) and as soon as I un-floored the throttle even the slightest bit it would die.

Dale, hopefully you find an intake gasket messed up or something simple to fix, when you take it apart.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Checked it out today with Mike and Tim's help. Found nothing so far. Mike checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner and didn't find any.

As far as the intercooler piping goes, nothing was loose or out of whack. The intercooler pipes consist of only 3 separate pipes and the intercooler, so there aren't many couplers to come loose or move around. Besides, I wasn't in boost at all when it happened so no way a coupler would just fall off or become loose.

Might try the crank or cam position sensors sometime soon.

Oh yeah, when we rolled the car back so I could crawl under it and check the IC pipes, I noticed there was a huge flat spot on my driver's side back tire. It was towed on a normal tow truck, not a flatbed. Seemed fine to me and worked out great until I saw this. He either had the car too low in the back or it bounced and the tire drug the ground a few times. The spot is literally down past the wear bars to the point that there is no tread on that one spot. The tire was about $320 and a month old. Ruined. Calling the company tomorrow about that one...

When it rains, it pours.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Dale, wish I could help more. I had a CPS go bad in my TBird SC, and it would flat just not start. Just like no spark. No sputtering or anything.
Hope that helps.

Good luck.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
it sure does sound like a vaccum leak to me, but i know you have checked all the lines a few times...

did you check your spark plugs? if so, how did they look?

if you can get the car started again, open up your oil cap while it's running, see if any smoke comes out (if something does, it's a bad sign :( )

95PGTTech

Established Member
Will it start if you hold your foot at WOT and crank it for twenty seconds or so? If it's a dumping fuel problem and the cylinders are flooded cranking a OBDII Ford at WOT shuts down the injectors but leaves the plugs firing it cleans off the plugs and blows the fuel out the exhaust, then you should be able to crank it again.

If this is the cause, expect a backfire as the last little bit of fuel is appropriate for how much spark is in there it will sound like it's trying to start.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Prasad,

We didn't check the plugs. Checking the plugs on his car is kind of a pita thanks to his setup. The vaccum gauge does point to a terrible vacuum leak, but while under the hood I couldn't hear anything, nor find it with TB cleaner. What I did hear was some bad knocking that could point to some seriously hosed timing. If he has a vacuum leak, at this point I'd have to say it's somewhere int he lower intake manifold. Since it doesn't seem very likely that the lower intake would just crack for no reason, I'd try chaning the cam and crank position sensors first. I know when my cam sensor went that the car would run, it just ran like shit.

If someone has some spares laying around that we could just toss in to eliminate those as a problem, that would be helpful. It would be nice if that were the issue, and it would fit the scenario given that the car started running poorly almost instantly while at a stoplight.

TRBO VNM

I would think they are the same, but never checked. since my car won't be started for a couple of weeks, you are more than welcome to come down and grab mine to try.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
try using propane attached to a long rubber hose to hunt for a vacume leak before you drench the car in carb cleaner looking for a leak that may or may not be there.

Maybe one of the gaskets on the imrc plates or lower intake gasket gave way, check for a loose bolt maybe one snapped for some odd reason and now there is no clamping force in that area. There are four gaskets totak on the intake so anyone of them could cause a problem

At this point it oculd be anything I guess or something obvious everyone is overlooking

Users who are viewing this thread