Straightening air flow before MAF with screen or honeycomb

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
With a lot of blow thru MAF setups, the MAF is located after a tight bend. This can distort the air readings, especially with a blow thru MAF under pressure.

Is anyone using a screen or a "honeycomb" to straighten out the air flow before the MAF sensor?

I found this: HoneyComb MAF Mass Air Meter Airflow Straightener- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

It fits in the MAF housing before the sensor pickup to straighten out the air flow.

I'm currently having lean codes (high long term fuel trims) most likely due to an inaccurate MAF reading and I'm looking for something to help without having to buy a new sensor.

Anyone given something like this a thought? That honeycomb looks a little restrictive... But nicer than anything else I've seen. Plus it's pretty cheap.

What do you think is the best device to use to straighten out the air flow? A screen? A honeycomb? Maybe a homemade grid made out of thin gauge sheet metal about 1/2" thick?

Would this help get my long term fuel trims back under control?

Ideas?

Homer

Brutal Metal

Established Member
do you have a pic of the maf location? what diameter piping? I don't use anything like that and have lots of range left..

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Yes, screen will help, but I'm sure moving the MAF would be the best way to resolve it.

I used regular window screen and it did help, though I wound up switching from a CAI to a RAI to solve the ratty MAF signal I was getting. I found the screen helped to take out a +/- 10 AD count swing.

The treadstone piece is nice, and was suggested to a friend of mine with similar issues by LaSota, so I'm sure it works.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I believe the Sean Hyland book recommends against this due to restriction, but I have not read the book in a while.

The MAF should be a few inches away from bend and perpendicular to the bend. Have you tried reclocking the MAF to see if their are improvements?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'll take some pictures of my setup later today.

I'm dealing with the p0171 and p0174 lean codes in both banks. It's not a sudden occurrence, it's been happening for years, not too long after my car was last tuned.

I've eliminated the possibility of vacuum leaks, I've cleaned the MAF and clocked it in about 4 different configurations, and I've datalogged the 02 sensors. But, I'm going to replace the 02 sensors anyway because they have over 90K on them.

I'm beginning to think it's the tune itself that's causing these codes.

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread