Storing your Terminator

delmarsteelers

Established Member
I am heading to Washington State this summer for a couple of years and I don't think i will enjoy the car there; different kind of Atmosphere. I am storing it in Florida near family. What do I need to do to ensure the car will be ok when I return every 6 months? It will be in a closed enviroment storage unit. Do I need a controlled temp enviroment?

thanks

OmahaStang

Established Member
I stored mine in my garage from October till Just a week ago and the only thing I do is make sure the gastank is full. I also will start it up every month or so just to get it started.
In your case when you go start it I would consider taking a spare battery for that one might be dead but then again that isn't 'storage' information. Also may want to make sure your tires are fully and possibly over inflated a little bit. Some people will probably tell you to put it up on 'stands' however I have never done that.

03blwn281

Got 500rwhp?
Established Member
Put a battery tender on it and change the oil every time you go and see it, and also put a bucket of cat litter a a corner to absorb moisture...Just my 2 cents

cobra12003

Established Member
03blwn281 said:
Put a battery tender on it and change the oil every time you go and see it, and also put a bucket of cat litter a a corner to absorb moisture...Just my 2 cents

Do you think he should use synthetic or regular oil on those oil changes?

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
If your not going to see it but every 6 months and want to store it right, I would suggest putting it up on stands or something to prevent rotting of the tires. Then it's a good idea to put either cardboard or carpet under the whole car to absorb moisture. There are some pro's and con's to a car cover.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
disconnect the battery/unless someone will be starting it for you , fill the gas tank, inflate the tires(so you do not get flat spots--the kitty litter thing is a good idea-- If you run synthetic your oil should be OK just change it when it comes out of storage

jean

Established Member
delmarsteelers said:
I am heading to Washington State this summer for a couple of years and I don't think i will enjoy the car there; different kind of Atmosphere. I am storing it in Florida near family. What do I need to do to ensure the car will be ok when I return every 6 months? It will be in a closed enviroment storage unit. Do I need a controlled temp enviroment?

thanks

The summer are beautiful in Washington State !

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Make sure theres not a slow leak in one of your back tires...lol(I just got mine out yesterday and I open the storage spot and the back tire was flat). Also I would have someone start it and move it a little bit every month.

apache driver

Established Member
put it on jack stands, take the tires off, disconnect the battery, and fuel stablizer should do it for you. Did this for both tours in Iraq (will be doing for third coming soon) and everything was just fine.

Last edited:

delmarsteelers

Established Member
jean said:
The summer are beautiful in Washington State !

The summer or Spring? Lol...............That is my point there is not much of it. Plus I have to get a emision test, no cats.

Thanks for all the answers, even the funny ones(cat liter).........

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Change the oil BEFORE you put the car into storage. And if you use a car cover be sure to use one that breaths. A moisture removal product in the interior would be highly recommended. I will assume that the car will be garaged?

delmarsteelers

Established Member
CobraBob said:
Change the oil BEFORE you put the car into storage. And if you use a car cover be sure to use one that breaths. A moisture removal product in the interior would be highly recommended. I will assume that the car will be garaged?

THanks for the info.........Whats up with the moisture removal from the interior?

Users who are viewing this thread