Storing your Car

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Hey guys just a quick question. Does it really benefit from storing in a climate control garage to one that isn't. I rent for now, and I do have a small garage out back. It's kinda old and requires alot of attention to keep clean since it's a bit dusty. I keep the car covered, never driven in rain, however the garage isn't well insulated. It has a glass door on the side of it (kind of like door to the front of the house. I hung a moving blanket in front of it to keep it more insulated. Do you guys think the car will be fine from under carriage corrosion and rust? Am I taking the right precautions or over thinking?

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
We only get down to the high 20's in the winter but very few if anyone out here uses that....

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
Just keep something under the car that can prevent condensation from coming up from the ground. I use indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. My garage is heated, but I used to store my car in a non-insulated non temp controlled garage for many years. No problems at all with the carpet under the car. I would consider some desiccant inside the car as well if the temperature varies frequently. It's available at Walmart and local hardware stores.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Just keep something under the car that can prevent condensation from coming up from the ground. I use indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. My garage is heated, but I used to store my car in a non-insulated non temp controlled garage for many years. No problems at all with the carpet under the car. I would consider some desiccant inside the car as well if the temperature varies frequently. It's available at Walmart and local hardware stores.

This, I use half inch styrofoam insulation between sheets of plastic under the car.

03SVTscott

Established Member

Agree.

dom418

Established Member
Charles, isn't it a little late in the season to be asking this question lol....

Hope all is well buddy. You should be fine. Unless you guys see extreme fluctuations in temperatures, moisture shouldn't be an issue. You may have some moisture develop in your oil and fuel. The way I solve this is I always store on a full tank and take it easy on that old fuel when you drive the car again(no boost). Also change the oil as well.

I put plywood under my tires to prevent the concrete from sucking out moisture. As others have said you can put a tarp under the car as we'll but I never have done this. All in all it's not like we are storing our cars for years so it's kinda hard to mess things up. Take care.

Domenick

cj428mach

Established Member
You need to put something between the concrete and the car, either that or paint your garage floor. I picked my car up 4 months ago from the original owner who only put 7500 miles on it in the 10 years he had the car. The car is really clean but some of the fasteners, axle shafts and other small parts that didn't really have a finish on them from the factory have surface rust on them. Some of the small bolts and stuff on my 7500 mile car look worse then the ones on my 80,000 mile SB that use to be a daily driver at one point in its life.

Concrete is permeable water can transfer down through it, and it can also come up from the bottom as well.

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
On a side note, for a year I had tarps on my garage for doors. I would always have condensation in there when it warmed up. I put up steel garage doors and even with the drastic weather changes I have no condensation in there any more.

So point is, plastic traps moisture so I would not just put plastic under your car. Plastic under plywood would be my recommendation to keep moisture away from your car.

cj428mach

Established Member
On a side note, for a year I had tarps on my garage for doors. I would always have condensation in there when it warmed up. I put up steel garage doors and even with the drastic weather changes I have no condensation in there any more.

So point is, plastic traps moisture so I would not just put plastic under your car. Plastic under plywood would be my recommendation to keep moisture away from your car.

Its trapping the moisture between the plastic and the concrete right? That's what you want.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I just lay cardboard underneath the whole car. My garage isn't heated or insulated. Here in MN we get sub temps all to often. I've done this for 4 years now. This is the first year that I've tried race ramps flat stoppers under the tires. Hopefully they did there job!

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Thanks for all the answers guys. I have had it in this garage for only about a year, so it's her first winter. Before that it was in a storage unit. There are some bolts and stuff that has slight surface rust under the car, but the undercarriage is very clean and rust free. I have carpet under the tires but not under the car, so I will get something to cover the concrete floor. I think sometimes it's hard to keep some of these bolt heads and such from rusting. I just wanted to make sure that it didn't start rusting everywhere. The coldest it has been here this winter was about 17. Only for one day, and it usually stays around 20-40 during winter at it's harshist and about 80-100 during the summer. Virginia is a strange state for weather, so it's either humid or just really cold. Thanks again

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Also keep in mind, especially in a non-heated garage not to start the car every once in awhile during the winter months. I don't start mine back up until the day it's coming out of storage. Why? Because this creates a lot of condensation as well. On a previous car I had nuts and bolts in the engine bay area get rusty from starting the car once a month or so during the winter months. I've found it's just best to let it sit.

Note: when starting the car for the first time after a long storage, I push the clutch in and put the gas pedal to the floor. I then crank the engine over for about 10 seconds. Doing this shuts off the injectors, but circulates oil throughout the whole motor. After that I start the car.

Greenwood1982

Established Member
Also keep in mind, especially in a non-heated garage not to start the car every once in awhile during the winter months. I don't start mine back up until the day it's coming out of storage. Why? Because this creates a lot of condensation as well. On a previous car I had nuts and bolts in the engine bay area get rusty from starting the car once a month or so during the winter months. I've found it's just best to let it sit.

Note: when starting the car for the first time after a long storage, I push the clutch in and put the gas pedal to the floor. I then crank the engine over for about 10 seconds. Doing this shuts off the injectors, but circulates oil throughout the whole motor. After that I start the car.

I've def. been doing that too. I never had the chance to put stabil in the tank before I ran that older gas out. The winter here has been ridiculous and haven't been able to get out and drive it. I will remember that, and i'll go out back and check in the engine bay. Thanks for the feed.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I may be extreme but I have mine in my garage covered and sitting on carpet. My garage is heated to 50-60. Any expert will tell you that a warmer environment is better for the car. I also run a dehumidifier in there.

Great looking car. Mileage? Mods?

Beavis281

Established Member
Bringing up an old thread. Great info here.

I understand the moisture barrier stuff. My question is.....what about the wife's suv parked next to the car? In and out all winter long? Salt, snow constantly in the garage.

Any special advice on this?

(Lol no, I can't force her to park it in the driveway)

braindontstop31

Established Member

Thanks for the Note Brady, I did not know that. I will def do that next time I start it after a long period of down time.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread