Storing tires?

SHOdown220

Established Member
I picked up a set of new tires for the ST yesterday unexpectedly. I don't need them yet but the price was a steal. I tossed them in my garage for now but in the summer it's probably around 85-90 degrees in my garage every day. They will sit until probably this winter before they go on, any special precautions to take with them or just throw a tarp over and leave them alone? These are tires only they are not mounted.

smitty2919

Established Member
I'd be tempted just to stack them on their side and leave them alone. No tarp to trap moisture etc. I know moisture is not THAT detrimental to rubber but still.

IMO it's the sun/UV that dry rot and kill tires. I'm sure a tire in a garage even at 90* will be fine.

I store my race tires/spare tires in my basement (mostly due to no space in the garage), and it's at least 15* cooler in the summer. I place them on plywood that is spaced off the bare cement floor then simply stack them on their side.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I store my wife's tires in the garage, in plastic bags, year-round. They're stacked on their side on a small table. We changes tires in November and April. Absolutely no issues, and the inside of our garage easily averages 90+ in the summer. 20s in the winter.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
I always read to keep my bias ply tires off the bare concrete. Something about pulling the oils out. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it doesn't take much to just put something between the bottom tire and the ground just to be safe.

Like said, biggest tire killer is the sun. As long as they aren't in direct sunlight, you will be more than fine.

Users who are viewing this thread