Storage locker auctions....anyone get lucky with these?

badass98vert

Established Member
im looking into storage locker auctions as maybe a fun way of buying something and selling things on ebay or whatever. just wondered if any of you guys have done this before and have any thoughts as to if this is worth doing just on the side as a little hobby to make some extra cash. i already work at a small parts shop that relies on ebay sales so sorting/taking pics/listing/shipping would be really easy for me. and i think it would be really cool buying one and then finding out whats in it.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
This seems like a great idea. You guys should probably invest all of your earnings into this idea.

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't believe what you see on TV.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that every auction is won by the shows principal characters? And that in EVERY storage bay at least one very interesting and valuable item is found. It's scripted and the storage bays are salted with the item that has been pre-selected for that show.

Do you really think that these storage bays would be abandoned if they really held items worth over an entire years rental bill?

Some might really be a treasure trove but not unit after unit and week after week.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Don't believe what you see on TV.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that every auction is won by the shows principal characters? And that in EVERY storage bay at least one very interesting and valuable item is found. It's scripted and the storage bays are salted with the item that has been pre-selected for that show.

Do you really think that these storage bays would be abandoned if they really held items worth over an entire years rental bill?

Some might really be a treasure trove but not unit after unit and week after week.

LOL most TV is made up, that's why it's entertaining. I'm not saying that it isn't scripted, i think the idea is cool of finding something of value in one those storage units.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
haha most of the time its crap you dont want

That would be my thought as well. I periodically clean out my basement and garage of stuff I no longer need or want. So although it would be fun to browse through a locker to see what treasures are there, in the end it would be more "stuff" I'd end up throwing away. Interesting idea, though. I can see how some would love it.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I tend to be more interested in the show American Pickers on History Channel. While im sure this show is set up as well, I find it much more interesting than hanging out at storage facilities. Going through peoples old junk and haggling with them to sell it seems more realistic to me.....

http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
yeah not into storage wars. why is the fat bald guy always soaking wet and the only other bidders for the units look like illegals. pickers is pretty cool but those guys are a couple of ****

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I suspect the show is sponsored and encouraged by the storage locker owners, who would love to have crowds of people bidding up the buy-out of abandoned lockers. The reality is that most abandoned lockers are filled with absolute worthless junk.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
one of the guys bought a locker for $750 and it was filled with 3,000 Original papers from the day Elvis died. they were worth between $45-90K grand total!

Id call that a good profit

roadbratt

i drive the speed limit
Established Member
I've always wanted to check one out, but most of the time the auctions are during business hours while I'm at work.

There was one around my area that had an old 80s Ferrari in it... not sure how much it went for.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
my kid is an american picker...but he picks for boogers.

Maybe he should look into the mining industry.....

one of the guys bought a locker for $750 and it was filled with 3,000 Original papers from the day Elvis died. they were worth between $45-90K grand total!

Id call that a good profit

Not if it took them 120 lockers of shitty stuff not worth 1/10 the $750 they paid to get there.......

zackkbcobra

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
auction hunters is another one but all they show is lockers that are full of good stuff
icon_bs.gif

Users who are viewing this thread