StopTech brakes, rotors, and steel brake lines installed.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I did a Brembo swap using Hawk HPS pads on my car. No issues with noise at all. Did you use a good lubricant between the back of the pad and the shim? As well as between the shim and the piston? And where the pad back slides on the caliper? Think most of the noise is from the shim. Every time someone complains to me about noise I use Permatex Ceramic Extreme brake lubricant like described above and the noise is gone. And I don't have them saying the noise comes back. The stuff works well and is good for 2800*F as well.

They sell it in the small packets as well as larger containers.
16160018_ptx_24125_pri_larg.jpg

where's the best place to buy the stuff?

BPatterson

Established Member
I actually did use the Permatex. It's like the pad itself is squealing against the rotor for a few seconds upon initial braking.

saunupe1911

Established Member
I wanted to give an update on my StopTechs and rear Hawk HPS pads after about a month of usage. I previously stated that they were squeaking. Then it rained one day it was even worse. Plus I couldn't stand the clamping noise on the front during complete stops. I was thinking this isn't normal unless it's just the nature of these strong pads. Well, I told myself I'm going to do StopTech's recommended bed-in procedure exactly how they described, but I'm like damn where in the hell will I find a backroad that's long enough with no traffic and cops around!!! Welp, I found one in my neighborhood and just prayed I wouldn't wake the neighbors at 2 AM lol. Here's StopTechs procedure:

For a typical performance brake system using street-performance pads, a series of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, will typically raise the temperature of the brake components sufficiently to be considered one bed-in set. Each of the ten partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80 to 90% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.

Depending on the make-up of the pad material, the brake friction will seem to gain slightly in performance, and will then lose or fade somewhat by around the fifth stop (also about the time that a friction smell will be detectable in the passenger compartment). This does not indicate that the brakes are bedded-in. This phenomenon is known as a green fade, as it is characteristic of immature or ‘green' pads, in which the resins still need to be driven out of the pad material, at the point where the pads meet the rotors. In this circumstance, the upper temperature limit of the friction material will not yet have been reached.

As when bedding-in any set of brakes, care should be taken regarding the longer stopping distance necessary with incompletely bedded pads. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when all ten stops have been performed - not before. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied. After cooling the vehicle, a second set of ten partial braking events should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.
Man these started cooking after that 5th stop just as described and the whole system did an entire 360. No more squeaking or clamping noise. Then the Stang just kept stopping and stopping after the second set of stops. I knew then it was time to go home. Pedal feel was even firmer it just kept stopping. I then found another long side street right before I got back home just to make sure it wasn't fluke. No squeak, no vibration, no shuttering, and stopping on a dime. This morning's commute had no squeaks either. I also have less dust. So guys make sure you have bedded in the brake pad to manufacturer specs because they all are different. Grease may cure some squeaks, things will never perform as intended without a proper bed-in. Normal street driving will NOT heat strong street/track pads up. And just because you have 500 miles on them doesn't mean they are embedded either.

saunupe1911

Established Member
Also try to avoid complete stops. That was difficult to do and some pads don't require this but I could tell the pads would just burn the rotor and add bad layer of material.

86merc

Established Member
The bedding procedure is important. You have to get pad material onto the rotor. And like mentioned when doing the bed in procedure do not stop. Down to 10 mph, drive some to cool the brakes some then hard stop again. If you don't cool them down some you can warp the new rotors.

Snake40

Established Member
I'm installing the Ford Racing Brembo kit on my 2012 California Special tomorrow.
What is the recommended bed in procedure for it?
Thanks, Mike

saunupe1911

Established Member
Quick update. The StopTechs were still squeaking during 0-10 MPH slowdowns. It stopped for the most part when the brakes heated up, but this is embarrassing leaving parking garages at work or stop lights. I was just thinking that this street/track pad is just aggressive. Then I remembered, the kit didn't come with any grease. Some people also in the BMW and WRX forums noticed this too. Went to Autozone and grabbed 4 packets of this stuff....wasn't cheap..$7 for 2 packets. Took the allen head bolts out, bridge comes right off, cleaned off the back with a mild CRC brake cleaner, greased the back of the pads and done. The hardest part was actually jacking the lowered car up with the jack. No squeaking even when cold and its in the 50s here in Dallas. So don't forget the grease with the StopTech kits (Roush/Saleen/Lexus IS-F all made by StopTech). My rear Hawk HPS have been great as well. Money well spent. One more interesting fact...the ST 40 kits actually uses Porsche 911 style brake pads

I did a Brembo swap using Hawk HPS pads on my car. No issues with noise at all. Did you use a good lubricant between the back of the pad and the shim? As well as between the shim and the piston? And where the pad back slides on the caliper? Think most of the noise is from the shim. Every time someone complains to me about noise I use Permatex Ceramic Extreme brake lubricant like described above and the noise is gone. And I don't have them saying the noise comes back. The stuff works well and is good for 2800*F as well.

They sell it in the small packets as well as larger containers.
16160018_ptx_24125_pri_larg.jpg

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
thanks for the update! I have some of this lube sitting on top of the two things of ATE super blue I bought. Waiting on the brakes to show up now.

byeofcr

Established Member
So wait did i read that wrong or is every 10; 60-10 mph stops counts as one set? And you need to do this 10 times? Ie 10x10=100 stops? Maybe im still drunk and i am completely off. lol
If so, man i bet my neighbors would be stoked lol

86merc

Established Member
Went to Autozone and grabbed 4 packets of this stuff....wasn't cheap..$7 for 2 packets. Took the allen head bolts out, bridge comes right off, cleaned off the back with a mild CRC brake cleaner, greased the back of the pads and done. The hardest part was actually jacking the lowered car up with the jack. No squeaking even when cold and its in the 50s here in Dallas. So don't forget the grease with the StopTech kits

Good to hear it worked for you.

The stuff isn't for just StopTech brakes. It is for any caliper set up. :beer:

saunupe1911

Established Member
So wait did i read that wrong or is every 10; 60-10 mph stops counts as one set? And you need to do this 10 times? Ie 10x10=100 stops? Maybe im still drunk and i am completely off. lol
If so, man i bet my neighbors would be stoked lol

Yep, 10 60 to 10 MPH without coming to complete stop is one set. Do this twice, and a third would not hurt. I took the pad off today to grease and there was so much material until the pad still looked new. These pads should last for a looong time with hard driving. Just came back from watching Iron Man 3 and no squeaks. And I did my bed-in around 2 AM in the backstreet of a very nice neighborhood. I'm pretty sure somebody got pissed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread