StopTech brakes, rotors, and steel brake lines installed.

saunupe1911

Established Member
I just installed a set of 4 piston StopTech brakes with slotted rotors on all 4 corners. I also installed front and rear stainless steel brake lines with Hawk HPS pads in the rear. Stock brake fluid was replaced with Motul 5.1 fluid. My car has a black/red/chrome accent theme so the rear calipers were painted the StopTech red. The color tone and texture is basically flawless. I got these at a good price but I see that AutoAnything has the same ST40 StopTech front kit for around $1200 using their coupons with free shipping. I might upgrade the rear to the Steeda 13 inch rotors in a few years. They match up well since they are made by StopTech/Centric as well.

Now lets talk performance after 1.5 weeks of usage. They stop on a dime! I haven't felt any sign of fade during stop and go traffic or purposely braking hard to help bed the brakes. They just keep stopping. Pedal feel is phenomenal. It's not too stiff and you can easily modulate it. My only gripe so far is the brake dust and bed in noise. They squeaked bad during slow stops during the first few days. And the brake dust is ridiculous. I understand that it's something that I will have to deal with because it's a performance pad that's trying to balance track and street usability. But now the squeal is gone since they have been bedded. I hear the little clamping sound at complete stop and that's about it. I wanted fade free brakes for the street and occasional track usage and that's what I got. I will be actually taking it to local track in a few weeks. Then I will see what they can truly do. Here's a few crappy iPhone pics. The black zinc coating from the rear rotors is all gone (the pics are from last week and they still have a little of the coating.) It's a perfect match to the front.

img10242.jpg

img10261.jpg

img10311d.jpg

img10321.jpg

img10381u.jpg

img10372.jpg

Last edited:

five0three

big deal
Established Member
wow! a black car thats not murdered out! i dig it man. you do any track (not to be confused with the strip)?

saunupe1911

Established Member
wow! a black car thats not murdered out! i dig it man. you do any track (not to be confused with the strip)?

I had base GT brakes so it feels like a big step up in performance. I meant I'm going to a road course track. All of my mods have been towards balanced handling and braking. I might take it to the drag strip one of these days though. I also picked up a Drag-31 wheel and a 225 GoodYear tire as my spare. Easily clears the StopTechs with minimal trunk bulge. I need to put up all of my spare parts, stock wheels, and tire spare on ebay or craiglist lol.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
This is the exact kit I have had on order now for 4 wks (minus the rear)... StopTech is behind i guess!? LOL
What rear rotors are those!?

Looking forward to getting mine on...I just did a track day at VIR with my stock GT brakes and really tried to burn through them cause I knew I was getting these on soon. Doing another track day in Aug once I get these bedded.

saunupe1911

Established Member
It took 4 weeks for StopTech to send mine as well. They are made to order. But I have to admit they take their time...so far its been well worth it.

techwerkz

Established Member
Looks nice. I need to swap out to stainless lines and better brake fluid.

I did my rotors and went with Hawk Ceramic pads. I had the HPS on my old car, and they do dust a lot. I never had any noises from them though.

EBC USR Rotors - Hawk Ceramics
qYJSSqgl.jpg

kingnut

Established Member
Looks nice. I need to swap out to stainless lines and better brake fluid.

I did my rotors and went with Hawk Ceramic pads. I had the HPS on my old car, and they do dust a lot. I never had any noises from them though.

EBC USR Rotors - Hawk Ceramics
qYJSSqgl.jpg

how do you like the hawk ceramic pads? do they have good stopping power, low dust, and no noise?

techwerkz

Established Member
how do you like the hawk ceramic pads? do they have good stopping power, low dust, and no noise?

I just got them bedded in yesterday, but I did test a 120-0 stop and it's noticeably better than stock. I have those same pads on my Audi and they stop better than factory, and the dusting is night and day. Stock Audi pads dust a ton.

As far as noise goes ... I was given a tip when going ceramic on the Audi from a local Porsche performance shop. BG Stop Squeal. Going against everything I learned, you actually coat the pad side with this stuff, let it sit and dry. It will help with any noise a ceramic pad might get. So far the Audi ~10k on the pads, and the 5.0 with 30 miles are quiet. Performance hasn't changed after using the stuff.

five0three

big deal
Established Member
make sure if you guys are changing lines or calipers, to re-bleed your system after driving around/some abs use...

86merc

Established Member
That's my only gripe with my Hawk pads....they squeak coming to a stop. I've only had them in for about a week though.

I did a Brembo swap using Hawk HPS pads on my car. No issues with noise at all. Did you use a good lubricant between the back of the pad and the shim? As well as between the shim and the piston? And where the pad back slides on the caliper? Think most of the noise is from the shim. Every time someone complains to me about noise I use Permatex Ceramic Extreme brake lubricant like described above and the noise is gone. And I don't have them saying the noise comes back. The stuff works well and is good for 2800*F as well.

They sell it in the small packets as well as larger containers.
16160018_ptx_24125_pri_larg.jpg

saunupe1911

Established Member
The StopTechs are way lighter than stock. My stock brake hardware almost burst the boxes after everything was done. It rained today and the squeaks came back. I may have to follow yalls advice on the brake greases.

Users who are viewing this thread