Stockish 2014 GT vs C7 Stingray *Video*

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
So today I had my first street race in my 5.0. It was actually the first street race I've had since 2012 in my old 1996 Cobra lol. My heart was pumping.

A friend and I were on a 200 mile round trip after I filled up on a tank of 87 octane from empty (I know, I'm cheap), and on the first leg of the trip, I came upon a white C7 on the interstate. All I could tell that was done to it was aftermarket red wheels, and reddish/orange headlight LEDs. We poked fun back and forth for a little while as I didn't think anything of it, up until we cleared traffic and both did a playful pull to around 90mph before coming back down to the 70mph limit.

The C7 cruised right at my door for a mile or so until it started to slow to 40-45mph. I slowed and met his speed to see what would happen as my friend was begging me to line up lol. I dropped into 2nd gear at 4000-4500rpms, but immediately after I did so, the C7 went WOT unexpectedly, so I followed suite after he got the jump. I would say he didn't pull more than a fender or so on me up until he let out right as I shifted into 5th gear and sailed past him. I let out just after that at 130mph shortly after the video ends.

My 5.0 is a base stock 3.31 car other than Roush axle backs and 265/40-18 ET Streets that I've been daily driving since I bought them used in March lol. I basically chalk this up to a close loss to a nice bone stock manual C7 that i would assume the driver should practice just a little with since I expected him to walk off and leave me.

All in all though, I'm super happy with my Coyote's performance considering the weight disadvantage of me and my passenger (285lbs & 220lbs) in my full weight car lol. Just for reference, I was running 8.0s @ 89mph at a local 1/8th track last week. It would be cool if I could find the C7 owner on here or FB to ask if he has any mods and if he was actually "racing", since all the GM nutswingers are already claiming he wasn't aware of the race lol. Even though he instigated it.

Sorry for the long post. Here's the video my passenger took of the race (filmed in Mexico of course). Make sure to watch in 1080p so the quality doesn't suck! Lol thanks for reading
[Youtube_Browser]iDQOfSQlbbw[/Youtube_Browser]

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
nice work man. Saw he got the jump but you hung right in.

FWIW, I had the same thing happen, with a white C7 as well. But even worse, he was in front of me at a light!

ramstein

Established Member
Tha C7 must have been running on 6 cyllinders, wrong gear, cause stock for stock c7 will destroy 5.0 Since anything can happen on a street good race.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Maybe if you run 93 octane, change rear gear ratio to 3.73, update your CAI, tune, and do some power shifting, I think you have a good chance to put a fender on him or more.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Well looking at the video, the c7 guy was definitely racing. Whether or not, he knew what he was doing, is a different story.

Definitely good run.

res0n0xg

Established Member
makes zero sense. you have a stock 5.0 running on 87 octane which is going to retard the shit out of the timing and you shouldn't even be going WOT with 87 to be honest. it was probably just some old fool and his heart was pumping too while flooring it in 7th from 55 MPH.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
makes zero sense. you have a stock 5.0 running on 87 octane which is going to retard the shit out of the timing and you shouldn't even be going WOT with 87 to be honest. it was probably just some old fool and his heart was pumping too while flooring it in 7th from 55 MPH.

Definitely not an old fool, it was a younger guy around my age lol. As I said, he instigated the race after several playful pulls back and forth, and then he slowed down to 40-45mph in a 70mph zone, which just isn't something someone would do if they didn't plan on a race lol.

And what's wrong with going WOT with 87? If my owners manual from the company that built the car says the engine can safely run on 87 octane, what's the issue with using it? I also filled my tank up with 87 this past Sunday and took a 100 mile trip to a drag/drift event and ran my car there. I ran equal times to my personal best of an 8.0@89mph (1/8th) that I ran with 93 octane at another track several weekends ago (you can see that video in the Time Slips subforum here).

I've honestly never filled up with 87 before the friend of mine that videod the race who also owns a coyote, was looking in my owners manual and read where it said it was safe to run 87. Now coming from my old 1996 Cobra that required 93, I never used 87 in that car because of that. So as I said, I just wanted to see if there were any performance or gas mileage differences between 87 and 93, which I haven't found so far. But once I get tuned in the near future, I'll be fine with only running 93.

Anyways, I have no reason to think it wasn't a legitimate race after what happened beforehand. And I've also been reading up a little about stock C7 owners running them at the track and the majority of them seem to be running high 7s low 8s in the 1/8th which is right on par with my car. I'm not seeing the big deal really

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely not an old fool, it was a younger guy around my age lol. As I said, he instigated the race after several playful pulls back and forth, and then he slowed down to 40-45mph in a 70mph zone, which just isn't something someone would do if they didn't plan on a race lol.

And what's wrong with going WOT with 87? If my owners manual from the company that built the car says the engine can safely run on 87 octane, what's the issue with using it? I also filled my tank up with 87 this past Sunday and took a 100 mile trip to a drag/drift event and ran my car there. I ran equal times to my personal best of an 8.0@89mph (1/8th) that I ran with 93 octane at another track several weekends ago (you can see that video in the Time Slips subforum here).

I've honestly never filled up with 87 before the friend of mine that videod the race who also owns a coyote, was looking in my owners manual and read where it said it was safe to run 87. Now coming from my old 1996 Cobra that required 93, I never used 87 in that car because of that. So as I said, I just wanted to see if there were any performance or gas mileage differences between 87 and 93, which I haven't found so far. But once I get tuned in the near future, I'll be fine with only running 93.

Anyways, I have no reason to think it wasn't a legitimate race after what happened beforehand. And I've also been reading up a little about stock C7 owners running them at the track and the majority of them seem to be running high 7s low 8s in the 1/8th which is right on par with my car. I'm not seeing the big deal really

93 offers better protection against detonation and time retard. If you are hotroding the car, dont use 87 man. Any savings you think you are getting with 87 at the pump are negligible, as the 93 will give you a bit more MPGs.

Did you buy your car new or used? Sounds to me like your car might be tuned. Stock 5.0s dont run 8.0@90mph in the 1/8, which translates to about 12.5@115mph at the 1/4.

A c7 is a low 12@116-118 car at the 1/4.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

93 offers better protection against detonation and time retard. If you are hotroding the car, dont use 87 man. Any savings you think you are getting with 87 at the pump are negligible, as the 93 will give you a bit more MPGs.

Did you buy your car new or used? Sounds to me like your car might be tuned. Stock 5.0s dont run 8.0@89mph in the 1/8, which translates to about 12.5@114mph at the 1/4.

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I get slowly pulled on the highway by C7s

If I was running stock tune and 87 octane I would get crushed

Sn8kebitten

Established Member

Did you buy your car new or used? Sounds to me like your car might be tuned. Stock 5.0s dont run 8.0@90mph in the 1/8, which translates to about 12.5@115mph at the 1/4.

I bought my car used with 34,000 miles. But I also contacted the original owner on Facebook to talk to him about the car and anything he did to it. The only mods he told me were Roush axle backs, a Steeda shifter base bushing (found the factory bushing in the Steeda box in the trunk), two shifter balls (also in the trunk), and a k&n drop in filter. Other than that, all he did was try to wedge some pieces of styrofoam in the dash because he got annoyed by the squeaks from going down the road lol.

I'm sure if he had it tuned, he would've let me know by which company at the very least or included the tuner with the car since he only owns a truck now. But my car runs perfectly even from a highway roll next to my friends 2013 5.0 M6 that's truly stock down to the mufflers.

I honestly feel like I could squeeze a 7.9 out of my car if clutch protection didn't kick in sometimes when I try to come out of the hole harder

Last edited:

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I definitely didn't win and don't claim to have lol, he just let out and I assume hit the brakes before I did. I'm just happy to have finally had a random street encounter like I always read about on here. Basically never happens in the area I live in

Users who are viewing this thread