Stock Termy dusted by an STI ???

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
OK, so am am about as unbiased as you can get because I own an '03 Cobra and an '05 STI for my "winter" car. I always wondered which was faster (pre-Whipple) between a fairly stock Termy and my lightly modded STI (turbo back, dynotuned 280awhp & 325 ftlbs). My seat of the ass answer was that the STI was quicker from a dig up to about 60 - 70 mph due to the superior grip with awd, and then the Termy would eventually take over on motor. I was in my STI the other day and came upon what turned out to be a fairly stock (catback at most) Termy and we had a go from about 30ish up to well over three digits (closed course, of course! ;-) and to be honest it wasn't even close.... I pulled about 10 lengths on him and it basically never changed from there. I slowed down and we talked briefly....he said he started to close the gap a bit at about 100 or so (I didn't see that from my end, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt). So my lingering questions are: was he just lacking skill on his end? or does my old estimate of AWD grip advantage from 0 to 60ish need to be revamped to 0-100? Do any of you guys have experience good or bad with STI encounters????

evo connevo

Established Member
He was in the wrong gear most likely. I stayed even with an 03 from 70ish to 110 when I had 315 whp. I stayed in 4th gear the entire time. Ct also, nice.

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
OK, so am am about as unbiased as you can get because I own an '03 Cobra and an '05 STI for my "winter" car. I always wondered which was faster (pre-Whipple) between a fairly stock Termy and my lightly modded STI (turbo back, dynotuned 280awhp & 325 ftlbs). My seat of the ass answer was that the STI was quicker from a dig up to about 60 - 70 mph due to the superior grip with awd, and then the Termy would eventually take over on motor. I was in my STI the other day and came upon what turned out to be a fairly stock (catback at most) Termy and we had a go from about 30ish up to well over three digits (closed course, of course! ;-) and to be honest it wasn't even close.... I pulled about 10 lengths on him and it basically never changed from there. I slowed down and we talked briefly....he said he started to close the gap a bit at about 100 or so (I didn't see that from my end, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt). So my lingering questions are: was he just lacking skill on his end? or does my old estimate of AWD grip advantage from 0 to 60ish need to be revamped to 0-100? Do any of you guys have experience good or bad with STI encounters????

either

A: The driver cant drive for nothing

B: It was a FOBRA (my assumption)

or

C: He was gay

STI's are fast, but the cobra and the STI are almost exactly the same in performance at the track, according to a BIASED magazine HOTROD, who did the test between a 04 cobra vs 04 sti

However, ive seen STI's dip into the 14's at the track and ive seen cobras dip into the lower 12's with a exhaust only...so its hard to tell...

Being that SVT hand asembles the Cobra engines...someone could have been sleeping on the job

good kill

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
At a roll traction shouldnt of been that big of an issue, atleast not enough to get 10 lengths put on you. So i dont think it was the AWD that did that to him

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
When i had my 03 in stockish form (catted midpipe, catack, intake), i raced my buddy in his 06 STI (full exhaust, COBB access port) and it was pretty close from 40-60, and then i was gone (we went from a dig for him, then from a 40ish roll for me).

We did one race where I spun hard at the line and it did take me until about 100 to catch him, but I had one hell of a head of steam when i went by, haha.

VNGNCE908

VNGNCE
Established Member
too many variables to tell here... But 10 car lengths from 30-100?? Thats not just pulling on him, thats destroying him. Stock cobras are a mid-mid high 12 second car... I don't know STI's at all, but I would guess yours is a high 12?

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
I've never been to the track with the STI, so I can't say for sure. I am a Ford guy at heart and a part of me wanted the Termy......excuse me.......03 Cobra (sorry colsGT) to eek it out, but the competitive bastard in me wants to win even if it is a tricycle race against a toddler. I'm thinking the other guy started in the WRONG gear (?)....

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I lost to a S197 in my car ...by buses when we raced from 45 to 80(I stopped racing)...I am a not the greatest driver but I started in 4th at 2800 RPM's(Big mistake). We redid the race this time in 3rd and I walked him hard...... In 2nd it was even worse for him because I pulled to 6500 RPM's and just kept walking.

So point is .......I would suspect the 03 driver lost not the car...

Last edited:

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
I feel double bad for the guy because his girlfriend was in the passenger seat....maybe therein lies the true answer ....hmmmmmm...

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
Driver issues I would say....Wrong gear would be my best guess...

The 05 Sti I had was 323whp and a 12.7 car... at 280, you should be a 13 flat or so...

mebetter

Established Member
I've raced 5 different sti set-ups in my 05 gto with 400 rwhp. An 06 with tune, fmic, ported head, and exhaust I won by about 5 cars. The 06 with a 20g I could beat him by 2 cars from a 20 roll and we would be even from a high roll. An 06 with e-85 and full bolt ons we were even until 90 then I would pull away had about 2 cars at the end. An 07 with exhaust, fmic, and tune this one was faster than I expected he could hang til about 90 then I would pull away.

Considering my gto weighs close to 03-04 cobras if the cobra has exhaust and a cai, it should pretty much run even with my gto.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
I raced my buddies 06 sti when he had an axle back and an intake. I was bone stock (5spd Mach) did a roll from 15mph and up until 2nd gear we were even, then I just walked on him abit, stopped around 115 (stopping while shifting to 4th gear) and I was atleast 3 cars ahead of him by the time I let off, if not a length more. I love the STIs and would like to have one someday, My bet is that he didnt really know what he was doing. Driver Mod can be a big advantage. Good kill though!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I think shifting has a lot to do with it.. if you granny shift, it really kills your time.. (but if you can't get traction that matters a lot as well) I did some part throttle power shifting yesterday and 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd it would spin.. wasn't till I was 3rd to 4th that I could power shift at WOT and not worry about spinning.. (bounced twice off the rev limiter though) but I don't see a basically stock STI beating a stock well driven Terminator by 10 lengths to 100...

but anyhow.. good kill

mr2cam

Established Member
haha anything can happen on the street, for example, I was out last weekend and some guy in a dodge dakota wanted to race me.. lol right before the light turned green the girl I had with me in the passenger seat decided to grab me to make out. But I made up for it at the next light, even though I shouldn't be racing a dakota... :|

Users who are viewing this thread