Stock Terminator vs Stock SRT8 Challenger

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
------
Cliff Notes: SRT8 stock vs 04 terminator stock

SRT: 3 dig wins 1 car length by 1/4
Cobra: 1 roll win, 2-2.5 lengths (Couldn't buy traction with a credit card on stock tires)

Switched drivers, same result. Both of us have raced 10 second vehicles for a few years now so relatively experienced.

Also had a stock auto mach 1 with Weld in mufflers, Challenger and the Terminator beat it by several lengths from dig and roll on the way to cracker barrel :pepper:.
---- End Cliff Notes

I was curious about this myself, and honestly felt the same way the guys below did, until a couple of days ago, when I lived this experiment live.

If you don't get bored by technical jargon, read on!

A stock SRT8 charger should lose to a well driven stock Terminator.

KWClutch said:
Even the SRT8's are pretty slow.

Once you get some miles on them, they get faster. I wasn't a believer until I looked at the logs i've been running on our new challenger. If you look at the timing curves from new, to a week ago, to today, it's crazy to see the difference. In the first 1000 miles they won't even spin the tires from a stop, but once you put some miles on them, that changes.

R/Ts I think are a different story. They have VVT and some other things that really make them more Torque motors, where as the SRT-8 behaves more like an LSX style motor (more peak HP).

Dad just got 1300 miles on his SRT8 challenger, and honestly it woke up alot. Seat of the pants told me it was a pretty close race from a dig. So a couple of days ago, I wrangled one of my neighbors to bring out his Screaming Yellow stocker and put it to the test. The guy is a pretty decent driver, and has been 12.90 with the ok air here in FL, so pretty decent for real life. This isn't MIR and Negative 2000DA where Terminators run 12.5@114 stock :lol1:.

From a dig took out the terminator 3 seperate times. Challenger would pull out of the hole due to Cobra tire spin and challenger would hook. 2nd race terminator went from an idle, Challenger went off of converter at about 2000ish, pulled out of the hole by about a car and each time the cobra would start spinning the challenger would start walking away. Cobra wasn't fast enough to reel it back in before the 1/4, but when it hooked up, it closed the distance pretty indicative of it's 5mph+ trap advantage.

However from the roll we did when we left the terminator pulled pretty decent from 40-100 by about 2-3 cars.

This really proves that autos are much better than sticks when it comes to drag racing (especially on street tires). More than it proves a challenger is faster from a dig. However, the two cars are close enough that it's a drivers race, and the Cobra will be the one who decides who wins based on it's launch.

From a roll, the cobra shows it nuts and advantage in trap speed and starts to pull away without issue. I would be interested in taking a 6 speed challenger with the factory 3.91 they started offering this year and see if the result is any different from a roll. Unfortunately I'm fresh out of SRT8s to drive in the garage.

From a dig or a roll even though it's a tank, it murdered my buddies auto mach with a weld in flows.

Relevant observations and opinions:

Mercedes has a better IRS and Launch Control than Ford could buy with all the bailout money in the world :bash: This in stock form is the only thing giving the challenger any advantage. This race will play out differently at a properly prepped I think.

The terminator is the faster car, and when you start modding it, it's all over for the SRT-8, but in stock form, especially against the Auto cars, in the 1/4 it's a drivers race.

The SRT-8 could probably fit several large bodies in the trunk...... While the mustang can't fit a bag of golf clubs in there, they instead decided to actually let you run a wide wheel instead :bowdown::bowdown: thank you ford.

Conclusion:

Drivers Race, Advantage Cobra, but a superior driver could pull out the win in the challenger if the cobra doesn't get out of the hole.

Hopefully people start modding the challengers some. At the track, these would add some variety to the mustang vs camaro, as the majority of street cars are 11-13 second cars. These fit in there nicely.

Interesting but unlikely to matter because most people who buy these will doom them to buying groceries or local car meets:

6.1L Cylinder heads flow like :uh oh: with a 1000 port job from Indy they will make ([email protected], [email protected]) They basically have all the advantages of the 4v heads on the 5.4, but they use a single cam, so you can actually run some lift in the cam.

Too bad it will probably never matter:(

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Expected outcome if the driver can't launch the Cobra. We all know of 13+ second Terminators that had launching issues.

Thanks for posting up the runs. Should get them both to the track so we can see slip data as well. :)

gnxs

Established Member
Lots of factual info in the first post.

The SRT8 is way easier to get moving and will win more dig races than the SVT guys would care to admit. A well driven (well launched) Cobra should chalk up the "W" and it should be "W"s for the Cobra all day from a roll (assuming the blower isn't heat soaked to shit).

The results were pretty much as I expected. Good story/info. :thumbsup:

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
The Challenger coming with the 3.91's won't do any better from a roll but obviously much better from a dig with traction.

Deuuuce

Established Member
Great info, runs and write-up. Thanks for sharing. A couple of comments/suggestions regarding the roll race.

Was the Challenger's ESP fully or partially off? What gear was it starting in? 40mph is a dead-spot for 2nd gear and very, very high for 1st gear.

I would try some lower-speed 1st gear rolls and 55mph 2nd gear rolls vs. the stock Terminator. I guarantee a closer race (but not a win!).

I can't comment on the 6spd with the 3:91 final drive because I don't know the gear ratios.

As I wrote a few days ago in my rematch thread, the SRT-8 actually has a gearing advantage:

Did a little research thanks to Graber. Taking into account overall gearing of both cars and stock redlines, the Cobra is more aggressively geared ONLY between the speeds of 79mph and 104mph and 123mph to 135mph.

After 79mph the SRT-8 shifts into 3rd, however once the Cobra shifts into 4th after 104mph, the gearing advantage goes back to the SRT-8 until 123mph for 4th gear. At 135mph, the Cobra must shift to 5th and the advantage goes back to the SRT-8.

These are calculated using stock redline, gearing and final drives and assuming shifts occur at redline.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
The Challenger coming with the 3.91's won't do any better from a roll but obviously much better from a dig with traction.

Normally I would agree with you,

but the 5 speed auto with the 3.08 rear gear and 20in wheels come out to like a 2.93 final drive ratio, so obviously there are some dead spots in the RPM band.

I think the 6 speed car would fare much better because it would spend more time in the top RPM ranges (especially with the 3.91).

Anyone who is old enough to remember the old hemis, or heard stories from those that raced them (I'm too young for the former:rolling:) knows that Hemi motors are famous for being a little doggy down low, but once you get them into high gear, they start breathing. Gotta remember, those Hemispherical combustion chambers are huge, they really need a large amount of both velocity and volume to really start seeing their potential.

I don't think it would change the outcome to a win for the SRT8, but I can say with some confidence it would be closer. At this point it's just internet racing on my part,

I guess the only way to test that theory will be to try it out, and report back:rockon:

Thanks for your comments.

I'd like to note, that I am a cobra owner myself, so I don't have any bias for or against either vehicle. I just wanted to do some tests, so we have an accurate idea of what were up against.:read:

ColeTrain'sC5

Corvette Fan:)
Established Member
when i was Vette shopping i was on the fence about auto vs. standard. i don't hit the track enough(drag i mean) to need the auto and i rarely street race and if i do manage to get somebody to go it's almost NEVER from a dig because i don't like doin' that sh*t in city area's where there is lots of traffic. Most of the time i end up roll racing and that definatly helps with the 6 speed. Good read here. I had the oppertunity to race an SRT8 Challenger from a 50mph roll to about 120 and had him by 4-5 cars. from a dig it woulda been closer as the M6's is harder to get to launch hard:(

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
When traction isn't an issue the Cobra is the faster car by 2.5 car lengths, I'm not suprised. Usually the faster car does lose when the driver doesn't launch well. Case in point, this thread.

I think SRT8s are matched perfectly with 01/02 LS1 Fbodies.

Actually, now that I think about it, whats the fastest stock time for both cars. I think it was a 300 SRT8 running 12.8X which is couple tenths shy of the Terminator mark.

Last edited:

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
Normally I would agree with you,

but the 5 speed auto with the 3.08 rear gear and 20in wheels come out to like a 2.93 final drive ratio, so obviously there are some dead spots in the RPM band.

I think the 6 speed car would fare much better because it would spend more time in the top RPM ranges (especially with the 3.91).

Anyone who is old enough to remember the old hemis, or heard stories from those that raced them (I'm too young for the former:rolling:) knows that Hemi motors are famous for being a little doggy down low, but once you get them into high gear, they start breathing. Gotta remember, those Hemispherical combustion chambers are huge, they really need a large amount of both velocity and volume to really start seeing their potential.

I don't think it would change the outcome to a win for the SRT8, but I can say with some confidence it would be closer. At this point it's just internet racing on my part,

I guess the only way to test that theory will be to try it out, and report back:rockon:

Thanks for your comments.

I'd like to note, that I am a cobra owner myself, so I don't have any bias for or against either vehicle. I just wanted to do some tests, so we have an accurate idea of what were up against.:read:

Definitely the 6-speed will be an improvement over the auto and I think with that agressive gearing high 12's will be a breeze with traction. I'm also definitely aware of how the HEMI works and I wouldn't mind owning an SRT-8 after my GTO days are done.

04A4GTO

Established Member
------
The SRT-8 could probably fit several large bodies in the trunk...... While the mustang can't fit a bag of golf clubs in there, they instead decided to actually let you run a wide wheel instead :bowdown::bowdown: thank you ford.

And screw you GM for making a 255 the biggest tire I can fit on my Goat without bags... JACK ASSES! :cuss:

Good Post

S8ER01Z

Established Member
When traction isn't an issue the Cobra is the faster car by 2.5 car lengths, I'm not suprised. Usually the faster car does lose when the driver doesn't launch well. Case in point, this thread.

I think SRT8s are matched perfectly with 01/02 LS1 Fbodies.

Actually, now that I think about it, whats the fastest stock time for both cars. I think it was a 300 SRT8 running 12.8X which is couple tenths shy of the Terminator mark.

I believe there is a freak run claimed of like 12.6 @ 111mph or something like that..Deuuuce would know for sure on that.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Freak run exactly....nobody else has even come close to that if memory serves.

As much as I would love to dismiss it how many people come close to Evan Smiths times with a Terminator or F-Body? :shrug: It's still out there and it's on other people to prove it's fake or flawed. :smmon:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
As much as I would love to dismiss it how many people come close to Evan Smiths times with a Terminator or F-Body? :shrug: It's still out there and it's on other people to prove it's fake or flawed. :smmon:

Is he the guy who ran 12.89 with the SS in the Mustang mag?

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Yep and ....
12.25 @ 117 in a stock GT500
12.43 @ 113 in a stock terminator
13.15 @ 105 in a stock Mach 1

:)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
nice write up! thanks for sharing

i knew that stock for stock they should be pretty close

3 dig wins tells me that i would have lost in a typical street encounter, because i can't launch this car for shit

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Thanks for this write-up!
Its the best one I have read in awhile and a good read too.

Users who are viewing this thread