stock shifter - i can't take it anymore

Mr. Jack

Established Member
Hey guys...

Let me start off by saying I've had my Sonic Blue Cobra for about a week and I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY by this car.

My previous car was an 02 GT. It was actually my first manual tranny car and I loved it right off the bat. After a while, I started reading the forums and I heard every one rave about the Pro 5.0 and Tri-ax being so much better than the stock shifter.

I went out and purchased a Pro 5.0 and it was one of the best mods that I ever made. I loved that positive, mechanical feel.

Anyways, when I got my Cobra I decided to give the stocker a try. It felt better than my GT did when it was stock. But after driving for a week, I realized that I was missing shifts. I am not even talking about WOT shifts....I'm talking about putting the thing in 5th gear. It may be because I am a crap-ass driver, but man it seems to me this thing is vague and sloppy.

I like to move the shifter side to side to make sure that I am in neutral (something that was really easy with the Pro 5.0). It seems that even THAT doesn't feel smooth on the stocker.

Oh well...sorry about this long diatribe. The only question is whether to go with the Steeda or the Pro 5.0... :-D

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
I had a steeda in my '01 & I have a pro 50 with the MGW adjustable handle in my '04. I like my current combo the best.

WaznMe

Enzyte RICER RECOMMENDED.
Established Member
can some 1 post a pic with the MGW handle on?? or a link to where you can buy one??

KDog

Established Member
MGW is also coming out with a new shifter soon. You might want to see what it looks like.

As for the Pro 5.0 and Tri-Ax, every poll I've seen as to which is preferred winds up at just about 50/50.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
Originally posted by KDog
MGW is also coming out with a new shifter soon. You might want to see what it looks like.

As for the Pro 5.0 and Tri-Ax, every poll I've seen as to which is preferred winds up at just about 50/50.

i love my pro 5.0 with the MGW handle, but i'll be interested to see what this MGW shifter turns out to be.. just might convince me to switch :) I

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Pro 5.0, MGW handle, Cobrabob gaket set, and clutch quad/firewall adjuster...they all equate to a perfect shifting car.

Venomous27

Inked Up
Established Member
PRO 5.0 Shifter, UPR handle, CobraBob Gasket = perfect position for me... i used pro 5.0 handle, didn't like it... used steeda triax handle, liked it better, but current setup is best so far... (UPR handle is basically the same as MGW fyi)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree that both the Pro 5.0 and Steeda Tri-Ax are great choices, along with the MGW handle for increased adjustability. I strongly recommend that you pick up a set of my shifter gaskets when you're ready to buy the shifter. The set will make your install a lot easier and you'll have a quieter setup as well.

JasonHogan

Established Member
I have a Pro 5.0 and love it. I also had one on my Roush and loved it to. I have heard a lot of good thinks about the Tri-Ax to. I would deffently go with one of these two.

rmgtc01

Established Member
there has been so many posts on this so do a search adn read previous posts. I went with the UPR becuase I got it for 70 bucks.
I have driven with all of them and cannot tell a difference.

stevieb

Established Member
Heres a suggestion that I am happy with and I saved $180.
I bought the Pro 50 steel shifter bushings and replaced the stock rubber ones. Now its very crisp and dont miss any shifts. Best part of it it only cost $12 bucks. Not a bad place to start imo.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
I had a kirban handle on my stock shifter for a while and just got a tri-ax handle. Using 1/2" steel bushings to offset the handle even more puts it in the absolute perfect position, makes for a pretty good shift, but not quite as solid as having the whole shifter body replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread