Stock rods and pistons

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Some of the engineers were on their game when designing the truck, some were not. The trucks looks great, handles great (for a truck) but the motor has a long way to go from being able to be called great. It lacks forged internals and, for most of us, a few more threads to hold the spark plugs in. Speaking of spark plugs, anyone who has changed their own wishes that there was a better way.

black04

Established Member
To save some coin is my guess.

What was your mods OP?

i would have gladly payed another 1000- 1500 over 5-6 years for a nice bottome end like the cobras have i mean it would have bin what another $15-$20 a month

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
So then.......Cobras cannot be blown up?
I find that difficult to believe.
I'm sure some of the animals out there can manage to vent a Cobra too.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
The 03, 04 cobras are tough but not bulletproof. I work with a guy that had a 04 KB cobra that was pretty nasty. He says they have little "rules" like we do to. Like dont stay in the boost longer than 15-20 seconds, dont do a kickdown in 5th or 6th gear. He named quite a list they go by also. I saw one on you tube the other day that was stock but had a serious rod knock. I would love to have one anyway, but I still wouldn't trade my truck for one.

joeason1010

Banned
I am not saying the 03 04 cobras can't be blow but you better be pushing the hell out of the limits to pop one man. I agree with Black04 I mean I would have paid another 3 or 4 grand on top of what I got mine for so I don't have to deal with the what I am now. I mean dam I paid 25 for my DSG and I can honestly say I would have paid like 35 for it as long as it have forged bottom end. I mean I would take a cobra or a lightning I just look a my Lightning sometimes and I know that we have the fastest of a class you know like the cobra isn't the fastest of his class but our trucks look nasty and they are the fastest of there class that's whats up guys

coild

Established Member
When you push your engine beyond its designed limits, its only a matter of time before it fails. If you tried to haul a 4000 pound payload in the back of your half ton truck and the axles broke, would you bitch that Ford built a piece of crap truck that can't haul anything?
Although I do agree... Ford should have built a tougher bottom end since they knew so many people would mod.

Last edited:

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
I just have a few questions to compare to my situation.

What were your numbers when it blew?

What was the outside temp?

Was the truck at full operating temp?

How were you driving at the time?

joeason1010

Banned
It was at 3 in the morning nice cool weather I was at 390 HP tuned by Modular Powerhouse, Ya I was on my way home it was plenty warmed up, I was ripping the shit out of it I am not gonna lie it's what it is designed for. Oh and no I would never put 4000 lbs behind my Lightning ever I would never go in the mud with my truck or offer to try and pull somebody out totally out of the question.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
This is why I took mine out *before* they broke! Here they are laying on the bench...

Stock-rods.JPG

joeason1010

Banned
Ya I am ordering a Johnny Lightning Forged Short block guys this week and I am pulling my blower at the time and having it stage 5 ported so I should be pretty nice after that I mean I might be about to beat Saleen S7's and Veyrons HAHAH JUST KIDDING

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
May want to do a little research on here about the Stage 5 port.... not trying to burst your bubble, but may not be worth the money, just FYI. I had a Stage IV set-up and wish I just saved the money and went Whipple a long time ago.

joeason1010

Banned
Really wow I know they sound pretty nice right. But ya I mean if that is the case I will just go with a stage 4 I think if I go with a whipple or KB man I am gonna have to upgrade fuel pumps and injectors and all that shit man so I think I am just gonna stay inside the ball park for now I mean beating ZR1's right now is fast enough for me now JJJJKKKK HAHAH

skipthedrummer

Established Member
Does anyone know around how much it would be just to build up the stock block?

I remember one of the main L guys sold a kit with new pistons, crank, rods, ect. (JDM maybe?)

Anyone have a link, and has anyone done it?

joeason1010

Banned
Johnny Lightning Performance has a deal for H Beam Manley Rods Pistons main bearings rod bearings rings and ARP Studs for 1300 man if I wasn't gonna buy there short block then this is the kit I would be buying honestly man

Users who are viewing this thread