Stock rear way bar rubs BMR lower relo bracket

Msteers

Established Member
Recently installed the sway bar relocation brackets with the BMR lower control arm relocation brackets already installed and the sway bar ends where they bend back going into the relo sway bar brackets rub on the lower control arm relocation brackets on both sides.

What can I do, change to a aftermarket rear sway bar?

BMR Tech

Do you have pictures?

Is it rubbing with the rear-end hanging, or with the car sitting on all 4 tires?

Msteers

Established Member
I had to chop some of the lower control arm for it to be snug when it hangs in the air. full lift.

I'll get pictures when I can get a break from work.

Can I email them to ya?

BMR Tech

Sure!

Yeah, there definitely won't be much, if any clearance, when the car is lifted and the tires are hanging. Even if the axle is supported by something other than the tires.

This combo of mods on the 2011-2014 cars seems to be a hit or miss. The "miss" seems to be much less common, but it does happen occasionally - for whatever reason.

BMR Tech

To add - I have thousands of customers running this same combo (OE Sway Bar, BMR Sway Relos, BMR LCA Relos) without issue.

So, I think it really all boils down to OEM vs BMR Tolerances in manufacturing.

But also, the BMR LCA Brackets are usually close....but the primary issue when this arises, is the actual OEM LCA Mount hitting the bend in the sway bar.

Voltwings

Established Member
Mine also hits (well, its my GFs car, but i installed them). Its literally just brushing though, i imagine i could just shave a bit off the sway bar with the dremel and it would clear both sides. I can get pictures, but it wont be until tomorrow night when we jack her car back up to install her Barton.

I had The front of her car supported on the pinch welds, but i think i had the rear supported on the axle, i may try putting the stands on the pinch welds in the rear this time and see. It is making a slight clunking sound on hard acceleration, but its not overly obnoxious, which leads me to believe the contact is very minimal. No Fault of BMR's, you're relocating 2 pieces to spots they werent originally meant to be. Shit happens when you mod lol ;)

BMR Tech

If the car is sitting on all 4 tires, it typically does not contact.

Under suspension travel, it can, and sometimes will.

When the contact happens, it is usually the bend in the bar hitting the OEM LCA Mount. I'll show some pics in a few.

BMR Tech

20130825_221037_zps62f7bc8d.jpg

20130825_220941_zpse7a4783d.jpg

BMR Tech

A dremel, and an hour or so....and you can make it work pretty easily.

You can grind the part of the BMR/OEM bracket that is hitting.

You can modify the Sway Bar Relos (slot the holes) to move the Sway Bar.

You can modify the Sway Bar Saddles (slot holes) to move the Sway Bar.

You can do all the above and have a great deal of clearance, if you want to go that far. Our car, that we engineered everything on, doesn't have any issues.

Msteers

Established Member
Yeah I wasn't able to get any decent pictures on the ground yesterday.

The pictures you posted are identical to where mine are in regards to the contact between the two.

I might go with a aftermarket sway bar. Could you link me to one that BMR carries?

Users who are viewing this thread